Whats the best Blu-Ray player deal out there?

fuerza

CAGiversary!
I don't want to give into buying a PS3, but if i absolutely must... then i concede defeat. But really, any good Blu-Ray player deals out there?

[quote name='texasnightowl']Yup, PS3...as I understand it, it is the only BRD player that can be updated.[/QUOTE]

The firmware on all of them can be updated. The PS3 is the only one that can have its profile updated currently.

PS3.

I'm not even saying it because I like to game, but because the player profile can be updated with ease.

So the fact that it can do everything else is just icing on the cake for you.

PS3. I have a friend who makes all the menus for blu-ray movies and he said PS3 is the best. The other blu-ray players don't have the same power to run the menus at proper frame-rates.

If you want to future-proof yourself, get a PS3. If you want a good player right now, there are many options that will work for you.

Currently, I have a Philips BDP9000 (a profile 1.0 player) and I have had no trouble with updating it or with disc compatibility. Once I have consistent incompatible discs, then I will get a PS3. Even if you are anti-PS3, you have to admit there are at least a few exclusive games out there (or going to be out there in a few months) worth playing.

Wal-Mart online has it for 378.00

Experience excellent audio and visual definition with Sony's BDP-S300 Blu-ray Disc Player. The crystalline clarity of 1080p Blu-ray Disc movies and DVD upscaling brings your DVDs to the highest possible quality level — your favorite films have never looked or sounded so good. Sony's 24p True Cinema and Cinema Tuned picture presets allow you to see any movie just the way the director intended. Better yet, the BRAVIA Theatre Sync feature lets you control compatible TV and AV systems all from one remote.

Key Features:
  • Full HD 1080/60p and 24p true cinema video output
  • DVD upscaling to 1080p via HDMI
  • BRAVIA Theatre Sync (HDMI-CEC) 3
  • BD/DVD/CD playback and AVC-HD with x.v.Color output
  • Multi Channel Linear PCM & Dolby Digital Plus decoding
Key Technologies:
  • BD-ROM Playback
  • DVD Video, DVD+R/+RW, DVD-R/-RW4, CD Playback
  • AVC-HD Media playback with x.v.Color output
  • Video Codec Format : MPEG2/MPEG4-AVC/VC-1
  • Full HD 1080/60p and 24p true cinema video output
  • DVD upscaling to 1080p via HDMI
  • BRAVIA Theatre Sync (HDMI-CEC)
  • Cinema Tuned Picture Presets
  • Uncompressed Multi Channel Linear PCM Output
  • Dolby Digital Plus decoding capability
  • Dolby Digital and dts 5.1 channel output
  • Multi Channel 192KHz/24bit Audio D/A Converters
  • BD-Java Interactive Capability
  • Popup Menu
  • Quick Set Up
  • FL Off/Dimmer Mode
  • Screen Saver
  • MP3 and JPEG Playback from DVD+R/+RW, DVD-R/-RW4
  • Parental Control

[quote name='rodeojones903']If anyone buys a blu ray player besides the PS3 (for primary use) they have lost their mind.[/quote]

You go a bit too far with this statement. There are many reasons to choose a different player over the PS3. I'll grant you that they don't apply to as many people as they DON'T apply to, but the reasons DO exist, and as such, should not be ignored.

To flesh that out a bit more, I currently have a PS3, but it will be replaced by the Panasonic BD-50 as soon as that player is released. When my parents asked what player to get, my first and only recommendation was the PS3. For their setup, there's no better choice. In contrast, for my father-in-law it was a tossup. There are good and bad aspects to the PS3 or to a standalone player such as the Sharp (or the upcoming Panny, obviously). We're probably going to wind up getting him a 40GB, if only because my son will be able to play videogames at his house when he gets older. But it was by no means an easy decision. There's pluses and minuses on both sides.

Sadly, there is no better blu-ray player for the money other than the PS3.

Which doesn't speak well for Blu-ray in general. But if you absolutely must have HD movies on physical discs right now, tough titty.

There are some excellent standalone BD players on the market, but the PS3 is not only cheaper than most, but a better machine. As some have stated, the PS3's profiles are updatable, but there are other players that are still updatable. The PS3's updates, however, will be guaranteed to be updated by or before any discs containing a new profile are released to the market.

Additionally, the PS3 also allows you to play xvid/x.264(non-mkv) and plenty of other video formats off your hard drive, or stream them over your network. Furthermore, the PS3 is reported as having the best load times against any other current BD player.

[quote name='geko29']You go a bit too far with this statement. There are many reasons to choose a different player over the PS3. I'll grant you that they don't apply to as many people as they DON'T apply to, but the reasons DO exist, and as such, should not be ignored.

To flesh that out a bit more, I currently have a PS3, but it will be replaced by the Panasonic BD-50 as soon as that player is released. When my parents asked what player to get, my first and only recommendation was the PS3. For their setup, there's no better choice. In contrast, for my father-in-law it was a tossup. There are good and bad aspects to the PS3 or to a standalone player such as the Sharp (or the upcoming Panny, obviously). We're probably going to wind up getting him a 40GB, if only because my son will be able to play videogames at his house when he gets older. But it was by no means an easy decision. There's pluses and minuses on both sides.[/QUOTE]

That is true, I forgot to mention if you are buying a blu ray player right now. I have a BDS300 for my bedroom and it works perfect there. Its just right now I wouldn't buy anything but the PS3 for my primary blu ray player.

[quote name='geko29']You go a bit too far with this statement. There are many reasons to choose a different player over the PS3. I'll grant you that they don't apply to as many people as they DON'T apply to, but the reasons DO exist, and as such, should not be ignored.

To flesh that out a bit more, I currently have a PS3, but it will be replaced by the Panasonic BD-50 as soon as that player is released. When my parents asked what player to get, my first and only recommendation was the PS3. For their setup, there's no better choice. In contrast, for my father-in-law it was a tossup. There are good and bad aspects to the PS3 or to a standalone player such as the Sharp (or the upcoming Panny, obviously). We're probably going to wind up getting him a 40GB, if only because my son will be able to play videogames at his house when he gets older. But it was by no means an easy decision. There's pluses and minuses on both sides.[/quote]

I actually back up the OP you disagree with. Because the BR standard is still in a state of flux I wouldn't reccommend anyone buy any BR player other than a PS3. Since it offers the greatest ability to adapt to revisions of the standard, easier firmware updates and- in all seriousness- you know damn well Sony isn't going to allow a single feature set of BR 2.0 or greater to not work on the PS3.

PS3:

PLAYS PS1/PS2/PS3 GAMES
PLAYS MP3S/CDS/DVDS/BLU-RAY
UPDATABLE FIRMWARE
40-80 GB HARD DRIVE
AND MORE

why would you buy anything else if you have use for all the above?

[quote name='animemaniac14']PS3:

Some PLAY PS1/ PS2 /PS3 GAMES
PLAYS MP3S/CDS/DVDS/BLU-RAY
UPDATABLE FIRMWARE
40-80 GB HARD DRIVE
AND MORE

why would you buy anything else if you have use for all the above?[/quote]

Fixed

[quote name='NeoFrank1']The PS3 doesn't upconvert SD to 1080i, right? That's a definite mark against it.[/QUOTE]

Its upconverts to 1080p now. The issue you are talking about has been fixed.

[quote name='rodeojones903']Its upconverts to 1080p now. The issue you are talking about has been fixed.[/quote]

oh snap. . . Looks like I'm getting one come Tax Refund time.

PS3 really is the best bang for your buck, for the same price (if not less) than a standard blu-ray player, you get a system that plays games, movies, has a web browser, etc.

Just make sure to hang on to your receipt as Sony requires it for warranty exchanges. After the blu-ray drive death epidemic two months ago, you never know when its going to happen again.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']I actually back up the OP you disagree with. Because the BR standard is still in a state of flux I wouldn't reccommend anyone buy any BR player other than a PS3.[/quote]
It's not really in a state of flux; all new players have to be 1.1 compliant, and the 2.0 players are coming. 99% of the public could give a rat's ass about online features in movies, so 2.0 compatibility isn't a big deal for most people. It is for me, but I'm not most people. Well maybe not a big deal--I looked at the web features of all my HD DVDs once, then never again. So at best, 2.0 is something of nominal value to me personally. My parents and father-in-law could give a shit about web extras.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']Since it offers the greatest ability to adapt to revisions of the standard, easier firmware updates and- in all seriousness- you know damn well Sony isn't going to allow a single feature set of BR 2.0 or greater to not work on the PS3.[/quote]
There is no "or greater". BD 3.0 is audio only (think DVD-A). 1.1/2.0 is the end of the line as far as movies are concerned. And yes, the PS3 will definitely support all the features of 2.0 at some point (as it does for 1.1 today). But there's also a rather lengthy list of things it will NEVER do as well:

Bitstream advanced codecs to a compatible receiver
Allow lossless audio playback to a non-HDMI receiver
Be completely operated by a universal remote without expensive separate hardware such as IR2BT
Be inaudible during quiet passages of a movie.

Those are important to some people. And it's yet undetermined whether there will be any kind of DTS-HD support at all. It's been announced several times, but the most recent release date I heard was March 2007. No new word since then.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the PS3 is a bad player. It's the best choice for many people. But that doesn't make it the best choice for EVERYBODY. People are different, and their priorities, situations and HT setups are different too. For a lot of people, being able to enjoy lossless and high-res audio on their existing equipment, or use their Harmony remote to turn their player on and off is a lot more important than web features they'll never use.

[quote name='Methadon']The PS3's updates, however, will be guaranteed to be updated by or before any discs containing a new profile are released to the market. [/quote]
Then why can't I access the web features on Saw IV? It's been out for going on 2 months now, but as of yet NO player--including the PS3--can access them. That will change when the BD50 is released, then the PS3 will likely be the 2nd or 3rd 2.0-compliant player (depending on whether or not someone else releases a player around the same time). But by the time it is updated, Profile 2.0 discs will have been out for more than half a year. How do I make a claim against this guarantee? :)

bread's done
Back