whats the best sega cd setup

kit352

CAGiversary!
Im looking to get a sega cd setup to play some old unique games like night trap and stuff. Whats the best combo to get for durability and value. id like a gen 1 system with a gen 1 cd system that slides underneith but those arent easy to find and are expensive. Im not sure if they even held up over the years. then theres the 32x thing. I barely remember it growing up and im not sure how it fits or if its even needed.

Buy model 2 of both.

Genesis 2nd model can be easily found for cheap and the model 2 of the sega cd is better because it just has the spring loaded top door instead of that mechanical in/out cd tray. Ive had a couple issues with my cdtray version model 1 but the model 2 has never given me problems.

$(KGrHqF,!k8E3G)l9s5OBN0GuJKNVg~~_12.JPG

Dont even mess with the 32x. Its not worth it, its a hassle to install and there are no games for it. Infact, watch this video for a good explanation of the 32x.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvR_3OTxs8A

If you can find a working Model 1 for cheap though don't pass it up. I got a semi-working one for almost nothing and a few quick fixes I have the prettier of the two set-ups. Model 1 HD-Graphics Genesis with the Model 1 Sega CD. Model 2 is a bit more functional though as I am afraid of breaking mine haha.

[quote name='dodgeme']If you can find a working Model 1 for cheap though don't pass it up. I got a semi-working one for almost nothing and a few quick fixes I have the prettier of the two set-ups. Model 1 HD-Graphics Genesis with the Model 1 Sega CD. Model 2 is a bit more functional though as I am afraid of breaking mine haha.[/QUOTE]
Thats my setup as well, though I own both. The model 2 is just so long, the 2 model 1's stacked is so much more attractive looking. The model 2's are much cheaper though, and you don't need the mixing cable with those.

At least there are a couple of games on the Sega CD that you should absolutely play if that era means anything to you. There's only one on the 32X, and you'll never find a copy of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dafoomie']Thats my setup as well, though I own both. The model 2 is just so long, the 2 model 1's stacked is so much more attractive looking. The model 2's are much cheaper though, and you don't need the mixing cable with those.

At least there are a couple of games on the Sega CD that you should absolutely play if that era means anything to you. There's only one on the 32X, and you'll never find a copy of it.[/QUOTE]
Yeah I found the model 2 Genesis/CD for $10.00 at a yard sale, so they are definitely affordable. Unfortunately mine is missing the power cable, so before I try to hunt one down... do games look like vomit connected to an LCD?

[quote name='yukine']Yeah I found the model 2 Genesis/CD for $10.00 at a yard sale, so they are definitely affordable. Unfortunately mine is missing the power cable, so before I try to hunt one down... do games look like vomit connected to an LCD?[/QUOTE]
Its the same power cable as the original Genesis.

I have an S-video modded Genesis so it looks good on mine, S-video or component would look perfect. Without modding the system I think you can buy an official scart cable and hook that up to a scart to component video adapter. Composite isn't horrible but its not perfect, don't even think about RF.

I've wanted a CDX for a while but they're ridiculously expensive. The X'Eye is similar but costs even more.

Best unit is the JVC X'eye. Only one power supply and straight Composite cables instead of proprietary. Good times.

the best setup is probably the jvc x'eye. what makes it the best setup is that built-in svideo output. with a regular genesis+sega cd attachment, you'd have to modify your own svideo output. but with the x'eye, it's already made for you.

another great thing about the x'eye is the reduction in cords. two specific cords to remember which one is which or else you'll end up with a problem.

Heh... I was gonna ask something similar.

Do any of you use upscalers? I remember seeing stuff about the XRGB or something that would upscale older systems. That was years ago though, and I don't know if that's still the best unit or not.

[quote name='yukine']Yeah I found the model 2 Genesis/CD for $10.00 at a yard sale, so they are definitely affordable. Unfortunately mine is missing the power cable, so before I try to hunt one down... do games look like vomit connected to an LCD?[/QUOTE]

Can't comment on the quality, but was it missing one or both power cables? You actually need to plug both the Genesis and the Sega CD in. I ended up with an extra power cable converting from a broken Gen 1/CD 2 combo to a 2/2 combo... I use to plug in my Game Gear.

[quote name='Vinny']Heh... I was gonna ask something similar.

Do any of you use upscalers? I remember seeing stuff about the XRGB or something that would upscale older systems. That was years ago though, and I don't know if that's still the best unit or not.[/QUOTE]

XRGBs are still pretty popular as far as upscaling 32 bit and older systems so they look really good but they're harder to find than they used to be. They pop up on eBay now and then but even used ones go for 300+. I really wish I would've shelled out for a new one from ncsx.com back in 03/04.

[quote name='pochaccoheaven']the best setup is probably the jvc x'eye. what makes it the best setup is that built-in svideo output. with a regular genesis+sega cd attachment, you'd have to modify your own svideo output. but with the x'eye, it's already made for you.

another great thing about the x'eye is the reduction in cords. two specific cords to remember which one is which or else you'll end up with a problem.[/QUOTE]
The Japanese X'Eye, (Wondermega) has S-Video, but the North American ones will still need to be modified for S-Video.

Of course I agree the JVC X'Eye is an awesome console. It seems to last the longest as well. I see plenty of Sega CD's (especially model 1's!) and CDX's on ebay with disc reading problems but I don't see too many X'Eye's like that.

i may go with the xeye. its really not too expensive with a few but it now. 130ish with a bunch of games. ill have to look into that system more but i think thats the way to go. the cdx runs about 100-120 and a model 1 set up is about the same. the only cheap way is the model 2 but i dont have a lot of room for something that big nor the power outlets.

A lot of great suggestions. As far as the best reliability and compatability I would recommend the newest (2nd generation) of the 2nd style. The first "2" model was often bundled with Sewer Shark, the 2nd Gen "2" was bundled with Tomcat Alley. Inside the optical pickup, sled and board were revised to a newer version. As far as performance I noticed the earlier models had issues playing some 32X CD games but the 2nd gen CD2 did not. I know someone mentioned that there were no 32X CD games worth getting but I can tell you some games like Supreme Warrior were a blast and worth the price of the setup just in comic value. Slam City was another really funny game on 32X CD. There were other games like Fahrenheit that came in both versions so if you are going to play it than why not play it in 32X?

I had a model 1 Genesis (Altered Beast) and model 2 Sega CD (Sewer Shark) with what was the only version of the 32x afaik, and never had any problems with the 32x CD games I played. Weren't they exclusively later Digital Pictures games? Slam City, Corpse Killer, Supreme Warrior, and the Fahrenheit bundle.

Either way, no one gave a shit about the 32x. I remember buying Virtua Fighter from EB shortly after launch. I asked the clerk if they still had any; he looked at me like I had asked the number of hours per week his family reserves for incest. The PlayStation, the Saturn -- that's what normal people did.

The 32x was such an odd beast. It really maybe never should've existed, but as it did, I really wish it would've gotten more support. I would've loved to see the Castlevania game they were working on (I think it more or less turned into SotN) and the port of Darkstalkers that was due to come out for it. A home port of Wing War would've been welcome as well although I don't think one was being worked on at any point for the 32x or Saturn.

I got to try out both versions of the CD2 back to back and its true you can mix and match just about any early and old Genesis and Sega CD (Excluding Genesis 3, CDX) with brackets, extension piece and cart socket adapter but I noticed a cache lag with the earlier model CD unit that was not present with the last model. About the 32X I always considered (ALL) those (systems) to be just one. The Sega Genesis with a CDROM and a graphics accelerator just like a mini computer. It was like a little Mac running its 68K motorola chip. To turn it further into a "computer" you could get the mouse and the modem. There was no Sega CD without a Genesis and there was no 32X without a Genesis so to me its all Genesis with expansion. This is why for me the ultimate setup is the 3 pieces together so you can play any game that came out for the Genesis and why I recommend that version instead of all the other great suggestions (X-eye,CDX, etc.).

I tried out my brother's SegaCD (model 2), and man, what a fucking mess. The prices for the better models are kinda crazy so I'm just going to see how things are in regards to emulation using actual copies of the game.

[quote name='catabarez']You can put the 32x on the CDX. Do that.[/QUOTE]

There was a bright red sticker on many 32X boxes saying not compatible as they did not recommend using them together. They were electrically compatible and if you got an adapter from Sega part number 253-6924 they would not void your warranty if you used them together. Without the adapter the 32X and cart would place undue burden on the CDX board and could cause warping/damage. This also defeated the purpose of a CDX and its portability. Finaly why would you want to wear out a CDX which is expensive and rare when you can get a CD2 for a small fraction of the price?

I could be wrong but I personally haven't heard any stories backing up the claim that the CDX/32X combo has ruined a system. The FCC felt that there were too many processors working too closely together and that could fry your CDX. I have a feeling Sega's hand was forced. But then again I could be wrong.

Maybe the reason why I haven't heard a CDX/32X horror story is because there aren't any 32X games worth playing for an extended amount of time.

[quote name='Rodimus']I could be wrong but I personally haven't heard any stories backing up the claim that the CDX/32X combo has ruined a system. The FCC felt that there were too many processors working too closely together and that could fry your CDX. I have a feeling Sega's hand was forced. But then again I could be wrong.

Maybe the reason why I haven't heard a CDX/32X horror story is because there aren't any 32X games worth playing for an extended amount of time.[/QUOTE]

Exactly my friend owns the CDX and 32X and nothing goes wrong there. Maybe he's just a special case.

Both you guys might be partly correct on that. Sega as far as I know never went fully public on why they first said the CDX could work with the 32X but with every 32X sold they stated as follows:

"This instruction manual includes a description of how to connect the Genesis 32X to the Genesis CDX. These units are not compatible
DO NOT CONNECT THE GENESIS 32X TO THE GENESIS CDX."

As far as FCC, I don't think that could have been it since the 32X is fully shielded and interference would not be an issue. Overheating/safety would be a UL issue and it wasn't. Finally, the 32X was not meant to be removed and reinserted constantly as use in a CDX would cause (to remain a portable) The compact nature of the CDX design nor the intent of the 32X mounting hardware were designed for this use. I don't want to hijack this Sega CD topic with 32X so I will post a 32X specific topic to answer some comments if anyone care to jump over there.

just an update on my search. I havent gotten a system yet but im still looking. I looked at several over the few weeks but everyone was missing a cord or the tv was to much of a pain to hook up so i passed on them. Im trying to avoid ebay as best i can since i dont want crap. Ill probably just end up stumbling across one when im not looking. I have picked up a few games that im itching to play though. Im also seeing some out of control pricing on basic cd units now as well.

Just chiming in I have both the JVC X-Eye and the CDX, the CDX has a super small footprint and I prefer it. The JVC X-Eye is probably a tad more reliable and has fewer cords.

You could always go the emulation route on your PC, and keep it legal with your own legit game CDs. Hard to find a PC controller with the 6-button Sega layout though.

bread's done
Back