What's the differences between Punchout and Mike Tysons Punchout?

One human ear.

Seriously, the only difference is that Tyson is replaced by Mr. Dream in the non-Tyson branded game. Some NES freaks are going to pop in and tell you Mr. Dream was harder than Tyson but THEY'RE WRONG.

[quote name='PsyClerk']One human ear.

Seriously, the only difference is that Tyson is replaced by Mr. Dream in the non-Tyson branded game. Some NES freaks are going to pop in and tell you Mr. Dream was harder than Tyson but THEY'RE WRONG.[/quote]

I concur.

[quote name='Adilink']And the intro in Ear Biter's version has a little quote from him, I think...[/quote]

Yeah, his ugly mug isn't on the title screen in the newer version either.

I got this a while ago and started playing it. I knocked Tyson down twice and was closing in for the third knockout when I lost it, got hit a few times and he survived for the third round (knocked me out)

The only diff, as yall said, was the replacement of Tyson with Mr. Dream. The reason was that when Tyson got in all the trouble, Nintendo didn't want to be associated with him. The game was selling a gazillion copies so they just changed it to Punch-Out to keep making money without having Tyson associated with the game.

[quote name='liquidsnake']The only diff, as yall said, was the replacement of Tyson with Mr. Dream. The reason was that when Tyson got in all the trouble, Nintendo didn't want to be associated with him. The game was selling a gazillion copies so they just changed it to Punch-Out to keep making money without having Tyson associated with the game.[/quote]

I think they claimed that his contract just ended, so the new copies didn't have him on it. It just happened to occur after he beat the crap out of Robin Givens. Right.

Didn't Tyson lose his title that year as well? I remember a short article about in Nintendo Power.

dodge for the first 1:30 (and get two punches in between his uppercuts). If you can last this long, the rest is cake...

[quote name='The-Bavis'][quote name='liquidsnake']The only diff, as yall said, was the replacement of Tyson with Mr. Dream. The reason was that when Tyson got in all the trouble, Nintendo didn't want to be associated with him. The game was selling a gazillion copies so they just changed it to Punch-Out to keep making money without having Tyson associated with the game.[/quote]

I think they claimed that his contract just ended, so the new copies didn't have him on it. It just happened to occur after he beat the crap out of Robin Givens. Right.[/quote]

If I'm not mistaken, the official story is that Tyson's contract was over shortly after he lost to Buster Douglas. Since he had lost his title, he was replaced by Mr. Dream. Nintendo has said that it had nothing to do with the rape case. The timing of the three events combined, though, meant that Tyson was gone.

(I know that bits and pieces of this have been said here...just getting the whole story down. :D)

Also for those who haven't played both Mr. Dream is just a head sprite redraw and body color is changed... he plays exactly the same as Tyson. Tyson(Dream) in my opinion isn't really any harder then Sandman.

bread's done
Back