What's the status with new xbox 360s and RROD?

Ruahrc

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
So slowly bit by bit I am finally getting closer to moving to a current gen console. I am very tempted to go get a new 360 real soon but wanted to make sure first...

I know there was a lot of problems with RROD on 360s. I know sometime in the past they supposedly updated the 360s with a new design to help with that. But there were still reports of RROD. And I heard some rumors that they were going to release yet a new model to supposedly fix it for good. I didn't really follow up on it though, so I don't know if a new model actually did get released or if there's one that's still supposed to come out soon.

Basically I'm wondering, if I were to go to the store today and get a brand new 360, can I be at least very confident that it is not going to have RROD problems, and that there is no newer design coming out soon?

Ruahrc

Okay that's what I thought.

Is it my understanding that the only way to get a white xbox now is to get the Arcade version and buy the HDD accessory? I actually prefer the white one but I would like to have a HD to store/download things.

Also if I were to get one of the existing 360 Pros, would it be very likely it would be a Jasper model, at this point in time? Why is it so hard to get a white Jasper 360 with a HD :)

I almost have to laugh to myself because I would listen to the CAGCast and hear CheapyD and Wombat complain about how many different SKUs there are for the 360 and I thought to myself "how complicated can it really be I mean come on it's not rocket science!" but now that I am actually out looking... They've got 2 models of elites now, Japer mobos with 256 and 512MB onboard, no more Pro... etc.

Yeah since my CC bills to a WA address, anything I order from Amazon is taxed. So I looked on BestBuy's website and saw that there was a BB about 30 minutes away from me that still had the 360 Pro in stock. I went down and after a bit of pacing and dinking at the store I picked one up. It was also good to verify that the 360 Pro was a Jasper edition as well as I could look at the box and see the 12.1A rating through the little hole.

Picked up Bioshock Platinum series for $20 I think it was on clearance.

Honestly I am still not 100% sure I will keep this thing but at least I have one now that I don't have to worry about not being able to find one. I prefer the white version and the Pro has a 60GB HD which should be enough for me. I don't plan on storing a lot of stuff on it other than installing some games to play from the HD. I haven't opened it yet how long is the return period for BB on consoles? 14 days?

Ruahrc

Just open it.

The 60GB hard drive should be fine for most users. I have the 120 GB, it has a ton of games installed on there and I still have about 40 GB for demos, videos, etc.

As for the RROD, just accept that you will eventually have it happen. Everyone that I know who has one has had at least one RROD. Everyone, no exceptions. Some took months, my first one took 18 months. One guy at work had his last three weeks. You just never know.

This goes without saying, but NEVER buy a used 360, you are just asking for trouble.

TBW

I know that earlier on, xbox 360 users got a warranty extension from MS due to the prevalence of RROD. It was extended to 2 (or 3?) years from MS. Does this also apply to new Jasper 360 units too, or just the older ones? The guy gave me the rigamarole about the extended warranty but for $80 (1/3 the price of the system!) I said no thanks. They're saying 1 of every 3 360s will RROD? TBH I don't know anyone with a 360 who has had theirs RROD but to be fair I only know about 4 people with 360s, and most of them are not heavy users of the console (I won't be a super heavy user either).

I'm not really concerned about the 60GB being big enough, more of whether or not I should actually commit to the new console instead of waiting a little more. It's a complicated balance of time available for games, games I want to play, games under $60 I want to play, backlog of last-gen games, the dedication to dropping big $$$ on a HDTV, etc. etc. At least I can hold onto this 360 for the time being.

Finally, while researching the correct cable I need to buy in order to play this on my Dell 2209WA (used in the meantime vs. buying an HDTV), I came across the whole optical cable issue. Apparently if you use HDMI you can't plug the component cable bundle in to get use of the optical port. Since I intend to buy a HDMI>DVI cable and use that for hooking up to my LCD monitor, it won't get sound passthrough. I do have a reciever and a 5.1 system that I want to use Optical audio with. There seem to be 2 solutions- one is to pry open the component cable housing, making it thin enough such that there is no clearance issues with plugging in it and the HDMI at the same time. A bit ghetto but I guess it works.

The other is MS' official "HDMI" kit which contains this adapter.

4r7rej7.jpg

Supposedly xbox 360 elites had this adapter included, but since MS has stopped bundling the HDMI cable with the Elite, did they take out this adapter too? At MSRP of $50 for the official connector kit, the price of this silly optical cable adapter is difference between the Pro I have now and the Elite which has a bigger HD...

My Jasper, white-box Elite did not come with that adapter. I don't know about earlier Elites. Also keep in mind that the holiday bundle Elite has Pure and Lego Batman, so if you want those games that could be reason to go with the Elite. I understand Pure is pretty good and I wish I'd gotten that bundle. Missed it by a few days. At least I got the (no longer available) $50 rebate. I could have gotten the bundle and the $50 rebate had I waited a few days. Oh well.

Just pick up the bundle with lego batman and pure, and you should be okay. These are the latest 360's in stores, with recent build dates.

[quote name='TheBlueWizard']As for the RROD, just accept that you will eventually have it happen. Everyone that I know who has one has had at least one RROD. Everyone, no exceptions. Some took months, my first one took 18 months. One guy at work had his last three weeks. You just never know.[/QUOTE]

I've been a 360 owner for 3 years now and never had an rrod. I had my disk drive crap out on me after two years, but no rrod. My friend had a launch 360 (won it with mountain dew caps, don't know if any of you remember that promo) and it never rrod'ed on him, but the disk drive finally failed him this past april. But then again, my brother got the rrod after 4 months lol.

A lot of the initial owners had problems, this led to MS extending their warranty a few times. I've heard some horror stories about buying them used. But as time goes on these issues should be ironed out.
smile

I'm not really interested in the Lego/Pure bundle, as neither game really interests me. I was tempted to wait for the Forza 3 Elite bundle that is going to be available like next week but it's $400, and I don't really need the 250GB HD. As it is now I can buy Forza 3 at full price and still pay almost $100 less than the Forza 3 bundle.

I found out my friend who has an older Elite has that adapter and is not using it, so I can just use it from him.

Put in an order of cables at monoprice today- since I had to order one or two items I went ahead and ordered a ton of cables I had always wanted but could never justify ($5 shipping for a $0.75 cable) but now that I'm ordering in a batch I went to town hehe. Mainly getting shorter length cables so that they don't go everywhere but also picked up the component>VGA adapter so I can hook my Gamecube up to the 2209WA monitor too.

Ruahrc

FYI, monoprice generally has good cables, but their 360 to VGA cable is pure garbage. You get a blurry picture with other issues as well. I was very disappointed.

You know, with all the best games coming to PS3 anyway, have you considered just getting one of those and not worrying about how long until your console burns up? It sounds like the 360's reliability is still a matter of 'when', not 'if'. Unless you have a good reason to get that, I'm just trying to save you money and headaches.

Taking Microsoft Xbox 360 advice from a guy whose signature says "360 sucks. You cannot deny the truth." is probably not a good idea.

Sometimes it's the odd person out who speaks the most truth. I mean if the OP has to ask this question first then clearly there's a concern about buying this particular console. So when other options are available that run much better why not make the suggestion? For that much money it's worth the peace of mind and a reliable unit.

But most of the time the odd person out just sounds like an idiot. Kind of like in your case right now.

Anyways, just look for a jasper unit and you'll be fine.

And why is that? Do you fanboys not want to admit what I'm saying? Just because many people say the same thing doesn't mean they are right. History class should prove that to you.

I'm not afraid to be singled out if I can help at least one person, keep them from making a mistake they'll later regret.

DPsx7, sound like you are the fan boy here, most cag own all console, and we are a mature community, we don't come here starting flame wars. take your childish fan boy additude to gamespot or gamefaq.

[quote name='DPsx7']And why is that? Do you fanboys not want to admit what I'm saying? Just because many people say the same thing doesn't mean they are right. History class should prove that to you.

I'm not afraid to be singled out if I can help at least one person, keep them from making a mistake they'll later regret.[/QUOTE]

You sir are the fanboy. I have both systems and like I mentioned prior... my PS3 is only used for PS3 exclusives (only 2-3 I have found good and fun - Uncharted and LittleBigPlanet) and blu-ray movies. I have found third party games to be worse on the PS3. To each their own... :roll:

Whoa now cool down everyone no need to get into a war here. To the PS3 suggestion- yeah I actually did consider it, at the current price points it has quite a lot going for it. (relatively) slim design, built in wifi, 120GB HD, blue ray (not that I am much into movies but it'd be nice to have a player). I think mainly the games I am interested in playing though are on the 360 or at least the 360 exclusives I find more appealing than the PS3 exclusives. It is quite possible that I may pick up a PS3 later on down the line but for starters I think the most effective purchase for me is a 360 probably followed by a Wii on which there are a few titles I'd really like to play.

Finally just to put things into perspective, I'm not really concerned persay about RROD, as it seems that reliability has certainly increased since the early days, and I don't think I will be a heavy 360 user/abuser anyways. It's just that if you were buying a brand new 360 wouldn't you want to get the most recent version, the one that (at least theoretically) would have the least chance of RROD? That was the real point of the thread, to make sure whatever I bought was the latest and not some old stock that had been surpassed by a better design. And if you go back and read the responses in the thread you will note that the 360 Pro I picked up is a Jasper model because I now know to look for the 12.1A rating on the box.

Re: the monoprice cables, that's a good tip although what I ordered instead was actually the HDMI>DVI cable as I can hook it up to my monitor on DVI. I should clarify that the monitor I will use will be put in the living room and used only for consoles as I have a 2nd 2209WA that I hook to my computer. The LCD is acting as a stand-in in lieu of a proper big screen HDTV, and thats why I can use the DVI for the 360 and the VGA for the Gamecube.

Meh. This whole console war is overblown.

If you have friends on 360, go for 360 since it has good multilayer capability. It may fail or it might not, try to get the extended warranty anyway. Microsoft has been pretty good so far in getting repairs on it (I got mine within 2-3 weeks I believe).

To get back on topic, it's hard to tell what the actual reliability of the newest 360 hardware revision is. It simply hasn't been in circulation long enough. It's definitely far less likely to fail than older consoles. That's for sure. But just about anything is less likely to fail than them. I wouldn't let the RRoD issues stop you from buying a 360, if that's what you want to do.

Get the holiday bundle and don't worry about it, have fun play games. Oh and get xbox live if you buy any multiplayer games, it by far smokes any other consoles online features out of the water.

And I'm sorry guys but I have to say it, but wasn't it the PS3 that would be dead or dying in display racks at the stores and the xbox would be chugging along

Hey, I'm a collector not a fan. My views are valid even if you kids may disagree. I just don't see anything on 360 worth playing that won't be on PS3 soon, which would dodge the whole issue with console failure.

But if this person insists on the 360 then what else can I do? I'll agree the Wii is a great purchase. I got one of those within 2 weeks of launch (the PS3 came a few months later) and that library totally makes it worthwhile. See I need good games to purchase a console, so why fault me for choosing PS3 and Wii?

Get that fanboy shit out of here. Between Gamefaqs and VGChartz It's insane that theres so many anti-360/PS3-Wii people out there. If you own all three systems you'll still benefit the most because you won't miss out on any games really.

Anyways, 360 Arcade comes with a $100 gift card this weekend at Wal-Mart that's gonna be a awesome deal. From what I've heard Jaspers rarely fail but they haven't been out 3+ years yet.

YOU twits are the fanboys. I own both consoles this gen because that's all I need to get everything. A Wii for Nin's stuff and a PS3 for the rest. I was making a completely valid point and asked the OP a simple question. Then you totally misread it. Which as a side effect showed me the relatively low intelligence levels of 360 owners. They can't read. So can you quit whining now? He answered the Q and that's all.

[quote name='DPsx7']YOU twits are the fanboys. I own both consoles this gen because that's all I need to get everything. A Wii for Nin's stuff and a PS3 for the rest. I was making a completely valid point and asked the OP a simple question. Then you totally misread it. Which as a side effect showed me the relatively low intelligence levels of 360 owners. They can't read. So can you quit whining now? He answered the Q and that's all.[/QUOTE]

Since you don't own an Xbox, your opinion is subjective i.e. fanboyish.

Mine's over two years old and I've never had any kind of problem with it. I even dropped it once. It's important to remember that people only bring it up when something goes wrong, not when it goes right. The same is true of anything buy. For every person that has a RROD horror story, there are x amount of people that don't.

bread's done
Back