What's the wholesale price Wal-Mart/Best Buy pays for videogames?

wwfward

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Anyone know the wholesale price that Wal-Mart and Best Buy pays for new Nintendo/Microsoft/Sony videogames (console and handheld videogames)? Also, what is the wholesale price for Rock Band 2 from Wal-Mart/Best Buy?

[quote name='wwfward']Anyone know the wholesale price that Wal-Mart and Best Buy pays for new Nintendo/Microsoft/Sony videogames (console and handheld videogames)? Also, what is the wholesale price for Rock Band 2 from Wal-Mart/Best Buy?[/quote]

I think it is typically 10-15% lower than the selling price.

I'm pretty sure the average mark up on a game was $12 in the previous generation, which is inline with the typical mark up rates (20-25%) for most stores over invoice. I'm guessing it's a bit more these days.

systems are a markup of less than $1 and games vary depending on distributor. some games are only marked up $2 and some are marked up $20. it all depends. any particular reason why you want this info?

[quote name='wwfward']Just collecting info for a class project. I'm comparing how various videogame retailers make their money.[/QUOTE]

very small mark ups, that is why many places are going into the USED business

I talked to a friend who owns an anime store and is an avid gamer about this when I was thinking of going retail. I didn't ask the source of his information, but, based on his credibility, he's not one to bs if he doesn't know what he's talking about (and this is in line with what some others are saying)\:

New games (definitely new releases, not certain if ALL new games or JUST new releases) are 4% for your little local store, 8% for your Gamestop, Best Buy, Wal-Mart. They are only really used to get people in the door, which is why GameStop IS so hard on it's employees to offer pre-orders/EDGE cards - they're really not making money selling new games.

A "little local game shop", as a rule, always charges SLIGHTLY less (maybe $.50/$1.00) off MSRP and offers slightly more on your trades to compete with GameStop, b/c they're big and have name recognition, so you need a reason for people to come to your store.

For all the GameStop hate there is in the world, the fact that they push preorders and edge cards and charge ridiculously on used games is what keeps them in business and allows them to offer new stuff on midnight release, etc. etc. Even at the 8% they get, they're only getting about $5.00 PER new game - in order to stay in business, they need to make more money in other places.

Thanks a lot everyone. This is helping me out a lot.

My only problem with Gamestop is all the stickers they put on the used games. It smudges up the game case/instruction booklet when you try to remove it and I really don't like that.

[quote name='wwfward']Thanks a lot everyone. This is helping me out a lot.

My only problem with Gamestop is all the stickers they put on the used games. It smudges up the game case/instruction booklet when you try to remove it and I really don't like that.[/quote]

It is very very low, which is why the used game industry is making such a killing in profit. The price they pay for those used games then reselling them are probably 50%+ less than what they pay for new games.

And if it is on the outside, thats easy to clean off, but if its on the actual cover, i know what you mean. You can still get it off cleanly, just takes some effort.

[quote name='pfp']
8% for your Gamestop, Best Buy, Wal-Mart.[/quote]

I think Best Buy gets at least 10% on a sale. I have a couple friends that work at Best Buy and their employee discount nets them 10% off of games. Usually they're discount gets them stuff at cost + 5%, so with that logic Best Buy pays about $51.00 per game which would be a 12% markup for customers.

Unless Best Buy takes a hit on employees buying video games, of course.

Here's another question:

Where do videogame distributors buy their games from? Do they deal directly with videogame publishers?

I used to work at a record[CD] store , and I know you can get a larger discount on your initial order of a particular item .
Another reason they pester you to pre-order .

I work at a radioshack and with Radaioshack getting into the gaming business I can tell you that we would pay approximately 52.87 for most titles and we would sell for for 59.99

hope that helps

The only info I have ever seen from where I work is those cheap $15 DS bargen bin games cost our company $10, and those $20 Wii super shovelware Wii games (Chicken Shoot, M&M Racer, ect) cost the company $15. But we don't really stock Video Games much, since looking back in the system the last time we had games in stock were a few N64 and Gameboy Color games (Though back then they were really good games we got from the titles I saw listed), and we got PS2 games in a few times.

it like "the more you buy, the more you'll save" kind of thing. walmart is a big chain and they buy by the thousands, so they save alot of money. thats why sometimes you'll see mom and pop stores or just plain old independent stores pricing the games above MSRP. walmart and other big chains have price protection, so when a game goes greatest hits or platinum hits, they get part of what they've paid for the game. indie stores doesnt, well they rarely do.

[quote name='pfp']
For all the GameStop hate there is in the world, the fact that they push preorders and edge cards and charge ridiculously on used games is what keeps them in business and allows them to offer new stuff on midnight release, etc. etc. Even at the 8% they get, they're only getting about $5.00 PER new game - in order to stay in business, they need to make more money in other places.[/quote]yup, this

gamestop's business is to sell you used games because the markup is beyond what they'll ever get for a brand new game unless its a gamestop exclusive game. thats also why gamestop never carries more than 5 of a new release unless the game starts with Madden or Call of Duty, Halo or other big name franchises.

depends on the item and its on "sale"

lowest ive seen -135% (as in we lost money) on a horrible ds title
highest-25% on a horrible ps2 game

avg is usuall 9-12%

bread's done
Back