What's up with Fifa 2006?

sj41

CAGiversary!
They released it 5 months ago and now they're releasing it again on all platforms? Do they always do this, or is this the first year? I'm pretty interested in this since The Road to World Cup got poor reviews on the 360, and I didn't particularly like the demo. The Game Spot preview makes it sound pretty good, but I'm wondering if this will be full price or not.

Ah, I was trying to move this to the 360 forum, but posted it here. Move to the 360 forum, please.

Uh oh, an EA game being discussed! Better brace yourself for the flood of hatred that is about to ensue.

This version is the World Cup version, which only comes around once every 4 years. Last years game was the ROAD to the World Cup, not the actual thing.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Uh oh, an EA game being discussed! Better brace yourself for the flood of TRUTH that is about to ensue.

This version is the MORE MONEY version, which only comes around once every 4 years. Last years game was the ROAD to MORE MONEY, not the actual thing.[/quote]

There, now it's better ;)

Not very creative, but I tried...a little...:cry:

[quote name='sj41']They released it 5 months ago and now they're releasing it again on all platforms? Do they always do this, or is this the first year? I'm pretty interested in this since The Road to World Cup got poor reviews on the 360, and I didn't particularly like the demo. The Game Spot preview makes it sound pretty good, but I'm wondering if this will be full price or not.

Ah, I was trying to move this to the 360 forum, but posted it here. Move to the 360 forum, please.[/QUOTE]

It's not the same game and yeah EA does this every year there's a World Cup event (every 4 years IIRC). Basically it's the same game graphics and control wise but they take out all the club teams in favor of the 100 or so national teams and change the locals (World Cup Stadiums). Also, though I'm not sure about this year's but in the past there hasn't been any real season or franchise modes either (you just play through the World Cup).

Well, the point of a business is to make money, people are going to buy it (I am because I don't have a soccer game from this year yet) so you can't really blame them, and I love world soccer, so yeah.

[quote name='ShimSham']Well, the point of a business is to make money, people are going to buy it (I am because I don't have a soccer game from this year yet) so you can't really blame them, and I love world soccer, so yeah.[/quote]
Sure you can. Here at CAG, you can blame EA for running a business and trying to make money. Apparently, they are supposed to give games away for free and give Leprechauns massage's.

The Road To The World Cup was just a way for EA to cash in on the xbox 360 launch. This new game is just a way for them to cash in on the actual world cup.

IMO: The World Cup Editions are really stripped down versions of FIFA, with the only redeeming quality being that it includes the license for the World Cup (Trophy, tournament name) and the International rosters are fairly up to date. (Of course there are exceptions, like the spat between Robert Pires and the French manager, and whatever Sven Ericsson is doing with the England national team)

Prior versions were 98 on PS, and 2002 cross platform (XBox, PS2, and Cube), and both years had Road To The World Cup (The Tournaments/Group Play that lead up to qualification for the Cup) and World Cup (YEAR), which is representative of the Cup.

Personally, I stick only with the FIFA (Year) proper versions, since I am more of a Club fan, and not an International fan. And the EPL license does matter... damn EA for having the exclusive with the FA, and Winning Eleven having only the greatest team in English Football and Chelsea as the only 2 real teams from the FA.

And EA does the same type of thing with a version of Euro (2004 was the first year it was released internationally) and The Champions League (EU only).

[quote name='62t']Get Winning Eleven 9 or wait for WE10 instead. A much better game in every way.[/QUOTE]
With the exception of Licensing. The FIFA license is as valuable to the rest of the world as the NFL license is valuable to the states. If I want to play as the England squad in WE9, I have to play as no-name blokes since the FIFA license covers that, whereas in FIFA (any version) by EA, I get to play as the likes of Sol Campbell, Ashley Cole, Peter Crouch, and of course that sissy-boy Mr. Posh Spice. The same goes for most teams, while Arsenal (the greatest football club known to man) does appear in WE9, fans of Liverpool, ManUre, the entire Bundesleague, and many, many more, do not get to play as their team, and just have to settle for Merceyside Red, Man Red, or some abomination of the German city's name.

I'll admit I lucked out with WE9 having Arsenal in it this year, but it does loose something when you're playing against North London and not Spurs!

(And on a side note, European clubs do have the rights to license out team name/logo/stadium outside of the league that they appear in. As far as other territories I don't know, but MLS is an entire entity and is indivisible)

[quote name='BigDirty']while Arsenal (the greatest football club known to man) [/quote]
While I disagree I did just watch them beat Juventus to go to the Champions League Semi-Finals.

[quote name='BigDirty']With the exception of Licensing. The FIFA license is as valuable to the rest of the world as the NFL license is valuable to the states. If I want to play as the England squad in WE9, I have to play as no-name blokes since the FIFA license covers that, whereas in FIFA (any version) by EA, I get to play as the likes of Sol Campbell, Ashley Cole, Peter Crouch, and of course that sissy-boy Mr. Posh Spice. The same goes for most teams, while Arsenal (the greatest football club known to man) does appear in WE9, fans of Liverpool, ManUre, the entire Bundesleague, and many, many more, do not get to play as their team, and just have to settle for Merceyside Red, Man Red, or some abomination of the German city's name.

I'll admit I lucked out with WE9 having Arsenal in it this year, but it does loose something when you're playing against North London and not Spurs!

(And on a side note, European clubs do have the rights to license out team name/logo/stadium outside of the league that they appear in. As far as other territories I don't know, but MLS is an entire entity and is indivisible)[/QUOTE]
There are save files that fix just about every WE game, so i dont think this is a huge problem.

[quote name='BigDirty'] the greatest team in English Football and Chelsea as the only 2 real teams from the FA.[/QUOTE]

Winning Eleven has Blackburn Rovers too? Awesome!

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']The Road To The World Cup was just a way for EA to cash in on the xbox 360 launch. This new game is just a way for them to cash in on the actual world cup.[/QUOTE]
They don't have like 5 of the top 8-some games on the 360.

I think Konami's kinda trying to cash in on the World Cup too, with releasing WE10 earlier than usual (it's been released in Japan in the month of August the past 2 or 3 years I think). I mean there's nothing "wrong" with that, you have to make a special game for the biggest tournament of the biggest sport in the world. It screams "cash in". But EA has conisistently done it in a half assed way I think. I *almost* got Euro 2004, cause it dropped to $20 while the friggin tournament was still going on, but common sense stepped in and i just bought some PPV matches...

And as mentioned, if you have an Xport or the other memory card to PC transfer device, the licensing problem with WE is pretty much nullified. Both series could compliment each other well if they somehow took the best of each. I'm hoping for a WE rebirth.

bread's done
Back