Whats up with my Microsoft Points?

peterjsparks

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I thought I'd test out the new Microsoft Marketplace so I thought I'd go out to Best Buy and purchase a 1600 point prepaid card. When I get home and I type in my 25 character code, I get a reply telling me that the code is invalid and that I should try again. The code is correct. It just is. I checked it a dozen times and it is exactly what is on the damn card but it will not be accepted. Has anyone else had this problem or am I the first to get screwed out of $20? I'd take the card back if I thought they'd take it but the scratch-off area is already scratched so I doubt I'd have a leg to stand on in Best Buy's eyes. Any ideas?

I just charged the money to the credit card I'm using for Live, it's quicker, easier, and I guess, now that I've heard this type of thing (also from some other people), it's better. MS Support has really been good at helping with all the problems, though, so screw Best Buy and call up Gates.

I will be calling up MS for sure. The card itself was pretty much an impulse buy too. I guess I should've thought harder about the possibility of things going wrong but I figured it was a safe bet. Live and learn I guess?

[quote name='peterjsparks']I will be calling up MS for sure. The card itself was pretty much an impulse buy too. I guess I should've thought harder about the possibility of things going wrong but I figured it was a safe bet. Live and learn I guess?[/QUOTE]

Hopefully MS will help you out. This isn't a problem I want to see because it looks like there is the opportunity for the cards to go on sale at the stores (like Circuit City did)...

I just got off the phone with Xbox support, and while the man was very nice, he informed me that they have no access to MS marketplace points and the procedures that are involved with adding points and that he didn't know what I could do. I'm not sure I like where this is headed.

[quote name='gizmogc']I bought my online...same price and no tax.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's looking like that is the way to go. Hopefully things will work out for those with troubles and those that ordered tons of points from CC.

[quote name='peterjsparks']I just got off the phone with Xbox support, and while the man was very nice, he informed me that they have no access to MS marketplace points and the procedures that are involved with adding points and that he didn't know what I could do. I'm not sure I like where this is headed.[/QUOTE]

Well, that doesn't bode well.

Call again and talk to someone else. A good friend of mine had a problem with his marketplace points. A bunch dissapeared even though he didnt use them. he called up, and they fixed the problem

I bought a card and had no problems.

Call back MS will help. Don't hang up untill you have your MS points that you paid for.

I mistyped 5 letters when I first tried to type in the damn tiny 20 digit code on the back of the card I got. After trying every combination I could think of, my wife tried a couple. When she told me to swap out an "E" I had for an "F" I was thinking there was no way in hell it was an "E", but it was.

You may need to get out a straight razor and a magnifying glass to make sure you are reading the friggin' thing correctly.

This may sound obvious but I have done it in the past. Make sure you substitute and 0s for Os and Is for 1s. Sometimes they are hard to tell apart.

It wouldn't work for me either but then I figured out that I was using 8's instead of B's and it loaded with no problem.

That happened to me once with an itunes card I got for christmas last year and I tried every combination i could think of and I took it back to bestbuy no questions asked.

Just to reiterate what everyone else has been saying. Look carefully at the codes again, and type them in again. You may want to let someone else punch it in, as you may be forcing yourself to see certain letters....if you know what I mean. I have often punched in the same thing 5 times incorrectly, and then I would throw a tantrum....and my wife would come over and see it correctly. Stuff happens.

Mine worked just fine :)

Hmmm, do you think Mt. Dew will have a promotion where they offer like 10 points on a cap...I'm sure one day we will :)

bread's done
Back