What's up with Peta killing animals?

http://www.petakillsanimals.com/

2,981. That’s how many dogs, cats, puppies, kittens, and other "companion animals" died needlessly at the hands of PETA employees in 2006. According to the group's own records, PETA employees killed more than 97 percent of the flesh-and-blood creatures in their care that year.

Aren't these guys supposed to be the ones that come after you even if you accidentally step on a frog?

Maybe this is a bogus site... probably not, more info is needed good sirs.

They kill off animals that have stayed more than a few months in their shelters, to make room for new ones they find and give them a chance.

It's simply a lack of space issue. Hypocritical, but it's not like they can just "release them into the wild". Imagine your neighborhood being patrolled by packs of abandoned pitbulls.

~HotShotX

Great, it could send up like Thailand if they release the animals.

[quote name='HotShotX']
It's simply a lack of space issue. Hypocritical, but it's not like they can just "release them into the wild". Imagine your neighborhood being patrolled by packs of abandoned pitbulls.

~HotShotX[/quote]

I forget the comedian that said it but they made a great point about peta (and vegetarians) sponsoring the killing untold millions of bugs and small animals like rabbits due to having fields harvested for vegetables. Also, Penn and Teller's Bullshit has a great episode about PETA and what a nefarious organization they are and how some of their members are nothing short of terrorists.

I love their message, not their methods.

Pretty sad, huh? People really need to fucking spay their pets.

If you're going to get a pet, go pick it up from a shelter. Those animals need homes, and they need them right now.

[quote name='Maklershed']I forget the comedian that said it but they made a great point about peta (and vegetarians) sponsoring the killing untold millions of bugs and small animals like rabbits due to having fields harvested for vegetables.[/QUOTE]
I'm imaging these are small animals somehow caught in the big machines come harvest time? A few rabbits that didn't run away in time being crushed like so much accidental roadkill, is alot different than hanging a kicking cow by a hook and slitting it open as it screams and kicks in fear and the most intense pain a living being can feel.

I won't even get into the comparable environmental impact of the industries, or the effect on world hunger, or into how chickens are regularly brutalized, or how the fur industry is known for beating dogs to death by throwing them, and quite often skinning them alive. You want to make your stupid jokes and laugh along with those full-of-shit jokers Penn and Teller? Enjoy yourself. But for me? There's nothing I can give but respect to vegetarians of any stripe.

You people are outraged when you hear that Huckabee's son hung and tortured a stray dog, while you continue buying your food sourced by far worse inhumanities. Wake up and smell the truth, and believe me, you're not going to get it from some libertarian comedian on A&E.

[quote name='darthbudge']Didn't they also cause some Zombie Outbreak in England?[/quote]

I don't remember if it was them or not, but at least we got two good movies out of it.

[quote name='PyroGamer']Pretty sad, huh? People really need to fucking spay their pets.

If you're going to get a pet, go pick it up from a shelter. Those animals need homes, and they need them right now.

I'm imaging these are small animals somehow caught in the big machines come harvest time? A few rabbits that didn't run away in time being crushed like so much accidental roadkill, is alot different than hanging a kicking cow by a hook and slitting it open as it screams and kicks in fear and the most intense pain a living being can feel.

I won't even get into the comparable environmental impact of the industries, or the effect on world hunger, or into how chickens are regularly brutalized, or how the fur industry is known for beating dogs to death by throwing them, and quite often skinning them alive. You want to make your stupid jokes and laugh along with those full-of-shit jokers Penn and Teller? Enjoy yourself. But for me? There's nothing I can give but respect to vegetarians of any stripe.

You people are outraged when you hear that Huckabee's son hung and tortured a stray dog, while you continue buying your food sourced by far worse inhumanities. Wake up and smell the truth, and believe me, you're not going to get it from some libertarian comedian on A&E.[/quote]

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Thank you from a Vegetarian.

[quote name='PyroGamer']Pretty sad, huh? People really need to fucking spay their pets.

You people are outraged when you hear that Huckabee's son hung and tortured a stray dog, while you continue buying your food sourced by far worse inhumanities. Wake up and smell the truth, and believe me, you're not going to get it from some libertarian comedian on A&E.[/quote]

I'm concerned about animals too. Namely, the small woodland creature that crawled up your ass.

To be serious though, as I stated before I'm all about PETAs message. Not the way they go about it.

[quote name='PyroGamer']
I'm imaging these are small animals somehow caught in the big machines come harvest time? A few rabbits that didn't run away in time being crushed like so much accidental roadkill[/QUOTE]

I don't know much about PETA, but I'm going to wager a guess that "the killing of small animals" in order to get a lot of veggies means the extermination of pest animals that would ruin the crops. Rabbits, shrews, moles, gophers, various birds, etc, that would all wreak havoc upon the crops by eating them. Those animals are inconvenient and destructive, and would weaken the entire resolve of "Hey, let's all be vegetarians."

As Lisa Simpson said, "You mean we should just get rid of something when it becomes inconvenient for us?" She might have said family member, but they were talking about their dog. Same idea here - I guess bunnies are cute and fluffy until they fuck up your crops.

I think it's hilarious that you're condemning animals that have much better hearing and sensory perception than humans would by imagining them getting caught up in a giant, slow-moving thresher.

If some animal can't see it coming from a mile away, they probably are the retarded baby of the pack.

Remember the scene in Austin Powers where the evil henchman gets run over by Austin's steam roller? They pull the camera back and show the guy screaming while the steam roller is a good 50 feet away, and slowly slowly - lurching forward. The guy has lots of time to get out of the way. Austin tells him to move. That's the whole joke - he had ample time to move instead of sitting there screaming, about to get squished.

Imagine that multiplied by about 100.

Yeah, you'd call the rabbit stupid too.

Vegetarians and animal supporters? Sure. I can respect them though I might disagree with some of them (vegetarians; I support animal charities).
Insane hypocritical overthetop fanatics like PETA? No.

I can support the messages "be kind to animals, don't abuse, spay and neuter your pets, don't support puppy mills". I can't support "animals are superior in every way to humans and should not be used at all in any context (except for us, of course)".

[quote name='PyroGamer']I'm imaging these are small animals somehow caught in the big machines come harvest time? A few rabbits that didn't run away in time being crushed like so much accidental roadkill, is alot different than hanging a kicking cow by a hook and slitting it open as it screams and kicks in fear and the most intense pain a living being can feel.[/QUOTE]Pretty sure that's not standard practice in the meat industry.

One of Peta's own co-founders couldn't even stand to stay with them anymore. Can't remember the guy's name, but he broke with them becasue of their militant like methods. He still believe in the message, but not hwo they go about their activities.

[quote name='jaykrue']Ah, c'mon. Everyone knows PETA are People Eating Tasty Animals.;):lol:[/QUOTE]

WIN.

As for slitting cow's throats, how would you recommend we kill cows oh great pyro?

[quote name='Maklershed']I forget the comedian that said it but they made a great point about peta (and vegetarians) sponsoring the killing untold millions of bugs and small animals like rabbits due to having fields harvested for vegetables. Also, Penn and Teller's Bullshit has a great episode about PETA and what a nefarious organization they are and how some of their members are nothing short of terrorists.

I love their message, not their methods.[/quote]

PETA are a cult, but lumping all vegitarians in with them is such a douche move.

Ameicans who are dogmatic and fanatical about their love of meat and killing make me angrier then the petans.

BTW this is from a guy who eats meat (organic, humanely raised meat)

[quote name='seanr1221']As for slitting cow's throats, how would you recommend we kill cows oh great pyro?[/quote]

Hanging a kicking cow by a hook and slitting it open as it screams and kicks in fear and the most intense pain a living being can feel =/= slitting a cow's throat

Nice strawman attempt.

Jackass.

[quote name='seanr1221']WIN.

As for slitting cow's throats, how would you recommend we kill cows oh great pyro?[/quote]

Geo votes chainsaw.

[quote name='camoor']Hanging a kicking cow by a hook and slitting it open as it screams and kicks in fear and the most intense pain a living being can feel =/= slitting a cow's throat

Nice strawman attempt.

Jackass.[/QUOTE]But you made all that up...

As for slitting cow's throats, how would you recommend we kill cows oh great pyro?[/QUOTE]

A mildly autistic woman developed a way of "humane" slaughter (identifiable by the quality of the beef suggesting less stress, in addition to a calmer slaughter environment (which is rarely the case, as cattle are pretty well tuned in to what's about to happen).

It's a shame that PETA has to euthanize so many animals each year, but not everybody has the financial resources of the Best Friends Animal Society. Not everyone has a television program to fund them.

People like to be reactionary about PETA, but I've not met many people at all who can stomach watching animal slaughter, who can rationalize the treatment of animals by places such as KFC...just people who want to eat meat and condemn PETA at the same time. Yet, it's not so cut and dry. I want my meat to live a happy life - and while that doesn't jive 100% with PETA's go-vegan message, it does to a degree. I don't care if they're not willing to accept any compromise - it's irrelevant, because they're not going to change a thing. Oh, no: they put an ad in the paper, or made a slanted comic book to distribute to kids! They're radical in their views and lie to people to get their message out!

That doesn't make them unique at all. That makes them a political activist group. Just like the many you support already.

Oh, I had a point, but you'll forgive me. I'm in the middle of playing the NRA Playstation 2 game. More later.

PETA is full of cookie mcmilliagans with nothing better to do than to protest their nazi propaganda. Honestly I wish they would stop. :)

As for slitting cow's throats, how would you recommend we kill cows oh great pyro?[/quote]

Well in Japan, They get em drunk, give em a nice massage and a brushing and get it so hammered that it doesnt know a cow from a bull.

Thats the way to go out.

(also the meat is expensive as hell....But Mmmmmm Delicious...if cooked right)

[quote name='mykevermin']A mildly autistic woman developed a way of "humane" slaughter (identifiable by the quality of the beef suggesting less stress, in addition to a calmer slaughter environment (which is rarely the case, as cattle are pretty well tuned in to what's about to happen).

It's a shame that PETA has to euthanize so many animals each year, but not everybody has the financial resources of the Best Friends Animal Society. Not everyone has a television program to fund them.

People like to be reactionary about PETA, but I've not met many people at all who can stomach watching animal slaughter, who can rationalize the treatment of animals by places such as KFC...just people who want to eat meat and condemn PETA at the same time. Yet, it's not so cut and dry. I want my meat to live a happy life - and while that doesn't jive 100% with PETA's go-vegan message, it does to a degree. I don't care if they're not willing to accept any compromise - it's irrelevant, because they're not going to change a thing. Oh, no: they put an ad in the paper, or made a slanted comic book to distribute to kids! They're radical in their views and lie to people to get their message out!

That doesn't make them unique at all. That makes them a political activist group. Just like the many you support already.

Oh, I had a point, but you'll forgive me. I'm in the middle of playing the NRA Playstation 2 game. More later.[/QUOTE]

I know a bit about Temple Grandin from what my mom has told me (she read one of her books). Looking at the wiki article on her, it seems she uses methods such as making them walk through curved pathways to reduce stress.

combine6.gif

PETA is a sham, they accomplish none of their stated goals, and it wouldn't be so bad if they weren't so adamant about what they preach.

direct link

Death toll up to 17,400; overdue report describes PETA's deadliest year ever
WASHINGTON, Jan. 10 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- An official report from People for The Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), submitted nine months after a Virginia government agency's deadline, shows that the animal rights group put to death more than 97 percent of the dogs, cats, and other pets it took in for adoption in 2006. During that year, the well-known animal rights group managed to find adoptive homes for just 12 pets. The nonprofit Center for Consumer Freedom (CCF) is calling on PETA to either end its hypocritical angel-of-death program, or stop its senseless condemnation of Americans who believe it's perfectly ethical to use animals for food, clothing, and critical medical research.
Not counting animals PETA held only temporarily in its spay-neuter program, the organization took in 3,061 "companion animals" in 2006, of which it killed 2,981. According to Virginia's Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (VDACS), the average euthanasia rate for humane societies in the state was just 34.7 percent in 2006. PETA killed 97.4 percent of the animals it took in. The organization filed its 2006 report this month, nine months after the VDACS deadline of March 31, 2007.
"Pet lovers should be outraged," said CCF Director of Research David Martosko. "There are thousands of worthwhile animal shelters that deserve Americans' support. PETA is not one of them."
In courtroom testimony last year, a PETA manager acknowledged that her organization maintains a large walk-in freezer for storing dead animals, and that PETA contracts with a Virginia cremation service to dispose of the bodies. In that trial, two PETA employees were convicted of dumping dead animals in a rural North Carolina trash dumpster.
Today in Southampton County, Virginia, another PETA employee will face felony charges in a dog-napping case. Andrea Florence Benoit Harris was arrested in late 2006 for allegedly abducting a hunting dog and attempting to transport it to PETA's Norfolk headquarters.
"PETA raised over $30 million last year," Martosko added, "and it's using that money to kill the only flesh-and-blood animals its employees actually see. The scale of PETA's hypocrisy is simply staggering."

I really hate PETA and ALMOST everything they stand for. I do agree that torturing animals is wrong in pretty much every instance. I have seen a lot of animals in pain in my day (I live on a hog farm) and it sucks seeing this kind of stuff. When we send pigs off to the slaughterhouse I honestly don't know what method they use to kill them. I have a feeling it isn't to either extreme, I'm sure it's something very quick but probably painful for at least a few seconds. But what people don't understand is that if slaughterhouses make any changes to make the animal's death as pleasant as posssible, it will cost millions of dollars to do so. If every animal starts getting euthenized in the slaughterhouses it will cost an unbelievable amount of money to make that happen. So who is going to pick up the cost for this? The slaughterhouses don't make very much profit so if they burden the cost they will go out of business, it just isn't a pratical solution. Us farmers sure as hell can't take a price hit on this, especially with hogs. My dad and I are actually in the process of getting rid of our hog operation we've had for the last 30 years or so. The cost of production is just too high, we are barely breaking even right now with the hogs.

That being said, I HATE PETA's methods and their radical means. They just act like complete jackassess. And I totally do not agree with their beliefs that animals are our equals. I like animals and certainly don't want them to be tortured when it's not necessary (which is most of the time) but to say that we shouldn't kill insects when they invade our home? I mean shit like that is so fuckin anal it drives me insane. A lot of vegetarians piss me off too but that's another story.

I'm no vegetarian, but I do believe that a lot of animals are worth more than plenty of people (just my personal beliefs).

About PETA though, I'm completely against it. Like others have said, I support the message, but not the methods.

Let me give you an example - about two years ago, I was illegaly evicted from my home. My (single) mother was afraid of a whole lot of things, but we managed to find a place - a place that didn't allow pets. Problem was that we had six cats - a cat for each of us, and then a litter of three kittens that two of the cats (not brother and sister, by the by) had. Well, we brought those animals to the pound "Animal shelter" or something and had been assured they'd find a good home. We came back about twenty five or twenty six days later, once we had our bearings back and worked out a way to keep them all, and found that the kittens had all been killed. ALL OF THEM. Not even one fucking month and they killed them all. The kittens were completely adoptable too - beautiful things and around six or seven months old, prime age for getting a kitten (I think).

I cannot support any organization that kills animals in their shelter, no matter the age. And mykevermin, thank you so much for telling me about the Best Friends Animal Society organization. I've never heard of a place that plain out doesn't kill animals.

That being said, if a place like that can manage not to kill animals, why the fuck can't a huge public organization like PETA manage to do the same? I've heard the stories about their President and the animals she personally killed; I can't imagine how many the organization kills under her leadership.

Like Draconus said, it wouldn't be as bad if they weren't saying "we love and care for animals, and we try to save them." To say one thing and do another, in the way PETA does it, should be an outrage to folks everywhere.

It wouldn't have been so bad if PETA doesn't go to shelters (where, yes, they do have to put down some animals, but at least they are available for adoption) and then take them back to PETA HQ and kill them there (where no one will see and adopt them). They're not just pro-animal, they're anti-human.

North Shore Animal League. My family has been donating to them for years. They're the "world's largest no-kill animal shelter".
http://www.nsalamerica.org/

PETA is a "political activist group" just like Al Qaeda is. In fact PETA has ties to homegrown terrorist group ALF.
There are lots of great animal activist/aid groups in the US to support, who try to do the right thing and only put down animals as a last resort. PETA is not one of them.

[quote name='dtcarson']PETA is a "political activist group" just like Al Qaeda is. In fact PETA has ties to homegrown terrorist group ALF.[/quote]

That's like saying all anti-abortion activists are just like al qaeda because you can define ties to those who bomb clinics and murder physicians. Even if we agreed politically (and we don't), I'd still tell you your political hyperbole needs a great deal of refinement. I'd expect this sort of over-the-top-just-for-entertainment WWE-style claim from Ann Coulter, who has to shock in order to sell a book. But not a genuine human being trying to make a point, and not a dollar.

There are lots of great animal activist/aid groups in the US to support, who try to do the right thing and only put down animals as a last resort. PETA is not one of them.

Regretfully, not every animal can be "saved," and not every animal should be saved. I like the premise of no-kill shelters immensely, but realistically, it can't and shouldn't be done in all cases. Bob Barker has the right idea for starters.

The Penn & Teller's Bullshit! episode on PETA is pretty interesting.

[quote name='mykevermin']That's like saying all anti-abortion activists are just like al qaeda because you can define ties to those who bomb clinics and murder physicians. Even if we agreed politically (and we don't), I'd still tell you your political hyperbole needs a great deal of refinement. I'd expect this sort of over-the-top-just-for-entertainment WWE-style claim from Ann Coulter, who has to shock in order to sell a book. But not a genuine human being trying to make a point, and not a dollar..[/QUOTE]

OK, I'll bring it home. PETA is an "activist group" like Fred Phelps and his cul--er, "church" is.

So you're saying PETA does not have close ties to ALF, and ALF does not use 'terrorist' like tactics?
"In the past, PETA has handled the press for the Animal Liberation Front (ALF)...The FBI considers ALF among America's most active and prolific terrorist groups, but PETA compares it to the Underground Railroad and the French Resistance. More than 20 years after its inception, PETA continues to hire convicted ALF militants and funds their legal defense. In at least one case, court records show that Ingrid Newkirk herself was involved in an ALF arson."
http://www.activistcash.com/organization_overview.cfm/oid/21

That's a little different from one or two psychos who happen to have a membership in ProLife America throwing a bomb.

Or are you saying that PETA is exactly like the Atlanta Humane Society, or the ASPCA, Pawfect Match, or NSAL, organizations that shelter/foster animals, care for them, try to find them homes while education people about the importance of spaying/neutering (and while, you know, *not* throwing bombs or burning labs or equating chicken farms to Nazi concentration camps)?

Some prolife activists are fanatics and bombers. If an official prolife organization supported the bombers and their actions, yes, I would call them terroristic as well and I would avoid them and denounce their tactics. I'm against abortion, but I'm also against bombing clinics. I can't think of any legitimate prolife group who supports bombing clinics or murdering abortion doctors, and if I was aware of one, I would not support it.
My point is PETA, for the most part, are fanatics. If their fanaticism is only in belief and statement ("Cockroaches are equal to little boys"), that would be one thing, I'd shake my head at their wacky views and move on. When that fanaticism supports actions like killing many more animals than they save, or supporting/defending domestic terrorist groups, yes, I speak out against them.
PETA is their own hyperbole.

[quote name='mykevermin']
Regretfully, not every animal can be "saved," and not every animal should be saved. I like the premise of no-kill shelters immensely, but realistically, it can't and shouldn't be done in all cases. Bob Barker has the right idea for starters.[/QUOTE]

And someone trying to make a valid point should not resort to the "all or nothing" dichotomy argument.
Of course all animals cannot or should not be saved. I didn't even say that. I said putting them down is a last resort for most legitimate animal care/rights organizations. I'm not suggesting saving rabid dogs or pit bulls who have been trained for nothing but attacking and have a history of attacking innocent people, for instance. (However, even in many of those cases the animal can be trained away from some of that behavior, and if all else fails, the animal could be used for animal test of some sort or in very specific environments). However, PETA takes the opposite view, and kills far too many animals without giving them a chance and working with them or trying to find them a good home. Add to that the official platform of "no animal usage/animals are superior", combined with the hypocrisy of killing thousands while using animal-sourced products, and you get an organization to be avoided, not supported.

Regardless of where one stands on meat-eating/vegetarianism, I think most people would agree that animal torture (and that definition could be argued) is wrong, and it's sad that thousands or millions of unwanted animals are put to death each year, while recognizing that animals provide a quality addition to the lives of man, as pets/companions, assist animals, guard animals, work animals, etc. If one agrees with those statements, there are lots of organizations to support that are not as hypocritical/elitist/fanatical as PETA, and that actually have a net benefit to the animal population rather than a negative impact.

[quote name='HotShotX']They kill off animals that have stayed more than a few months in their shelters, to make room for new ones they find and give them a chance.

~HotShotX[/QUOTE]

PETA believes in the COMPLETE liberation of all animals, so why would they even have shelters???
PETA is THE single most hypocritical corporation on the planet, and that's saying a lot...
Please don't defend them, you'll only end up looking stupid, or you can be like them and just ignore any criticism and act like it never happened...
-Goatman

[quote name='dtcarson']OK, I'll bring it home. PETA is an "activist group" like Fred Phelps and his cul--er, "church" is.[/quote]

A far more apt analogy.

So you're saying PETA does not have close ties to ALF, and ALF does not use 'terrorist' like tactics?

(Edited b/c the rest of your post is right up there). What's I'm saying is analogous to the old logical error "If some A are C, all C must be A." It's akin to the sort of character assassination involved in saying "oh, they have a slight relationship with Al Sharpton and the Rainbow Coalition/PUSH, so they have no credibility in their perspective on racial issues." It's simply a convenient way of dodging the matter as to whether there are any valid points whatsoever made by the organization (the denial that they have any, coupled with accusations of poor character - or, in this case, associated character).

And someone trying to make a valid point should not resort to the "all or nothing" dichotomy argument.
Of course all animals cannot or should not be saved. I didn't even say that.

Woah there. In the process of putting words in your mouth, please be careful to not do the same to me. I'm not arguing with you at this point. I was just remarking about the impossibility of an ideal centered around "no-kill" shelters.

[quote name='mykevermin']A far more apt analogy.

(Edited b/c the rest of your post is right up there). What's I'm saying is analogous to the old logical error "If some A are C, all C must be A." It's akin to the sort of character assassination involved in saying "oh, they have a slight relationship with Al Sharpton and the Rainbow Coalition/PUSH, so they have no credibility in their perspective on racial issues." It's simply a convenient way of dodging the matter as to whether there are any valid points whatsoever made by the organization (the denial that they have any, coupled with accusations of poor character - or, in this case, associated character).[/QUOTE]

"Slight relationship"? Using contributors dollars to fund ELFs criminal defense lawyers--while the top members of PETA are verbally supporting the criminal actions--is more than "slight". It's not like saying "one member (not the board, not the directors, etc) of PUSH is accused of committing a racial-based hate crime, and of course we officially denounce any such actions."
In this case the character they associate with is of poor character, and the nature of their association signifies PETA's poor character. Somewhat like the difference between if Charles Manson's next door neighbour said "Yeah, we used to golf all the time before that mess happened" (associating with someone of poor character) and if he said "You know, I like what Charlie and his buds did, I'm chipping in for his defense". It's only character assassination if it's not true.
And when the character is poor, and I vehemently disagree with 90% of their points both emotionally and logically, you're right, I do discount all their other points, because there are a lot more organizations I have far more points of agreement with, and no or very few massive points of disagreement/discontent.

[quote name='mykevermin']
Woah there. In the process of putting words in your mouth, please be careful to not do the same to me. I'm not arguing with you at this point. I was just remarking about the impossibility of an ideal centered around "no-kill" shelters.[/QUOTE]

Impossible? Sure. That doesn't mean it's a nice ideal to strive for. Again, there's a difference between "We try to save as many animals as we can, we can hold and place X,000 animals a year and we don't kill any of them; there are twice that many we can't get to, but we do what we can" and "Hey, there's no way we can save/place all these animals, so let's not even try, in fact, let's go to places that are trying to save a small percentage of them, take their animals, and kill them immediately." There will always be starving people in the world, at least while dictators intercept or misuse "aid" money, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to help where we can. I believe PETA does more harm than good to both animals and the humans trying to legitimately help animals.

BTW, thanks for that Maddox link whoever posted it, that guy's a trip. Lots to read there.

PETA's Creativity (lack of) in Advertising

peta.jpg

BE WARNED NSFW or for Life in general.
Are you sure you wanna see this?...well go ahead...I warned you.

PETA5.jpg

peta-kfc_25.jpg

bread's done
Back