What's up with the PS1/PS2 memory card option on the PS3 Slim?

pdiddy19842000

CAGiversary!
I just recently pulled the trigger on the PS3 and decided to get the a new PS3 Slim. I went back and forth like Brett Favre about which of numerous models to get, but decided to just keep on PS2. I was just playing around put in an old PS2 disc. Then, I put in a PS1 disc and in worked. It then directed me to the PS1/PS2 memory card utility. I'm like what the flip :bomb:. Sony can make the oldest disks work but can't make the new ones work. Evenmore, there's a memory option for it. Someone give me some insight on it b/c I am starting to think Sony is pretty lazy for this one.

I'm guessing you didn't know that all PS3s play PS1 games but you knew that none of the new PS3s can play PS2s (yet).

He's asking why the slim PS3 has a PS2 memory card option when the PS3 slim will not play PS2 games. He is assuming Sony was too lazy to change it from the original batch of PS3 systems. Launch 60 GB PS3 systems will play PS2 games and have a need for built-in PS2 memory cards. Systems built after these (including the slim) will not play PS2 games and have no need for internal PS2 memory cards built into the PS3 hard drive, yet, they appear.

It is a completley legitamite question and all of you are giving him a hard time, accusing him of not being aware the slim PS3 does not support full backwards-compatibility. He is probably plenty aware of the PS2/PS3 backwards compatability issues, but does not understand why all PS3 systems show PS2 memory cards.

Maybe Sony was lazy. Maybe Sony is prepared for a future update that will allow PS2 compatabilty, although I don't think that's even possible. I would think you need additional hardware for that.

or he knew they werent ps2 bc but saw the memory card option got excited and figured he had a magic ps3 slim that played ps2 games and after finding out it didnt got upset and made his post. they probably kept the option in because ps2 games will be available for dl in he near future.

[quote name='pdiddy19842000']I just recently pulled the trigger on the PS3 and decided to get the a new PS3 Slim. I went back and forth like Brett Favre about which of numerous models to get, but decided to just keep on PS2. I was just playing around put in an old PS2 disc. Then, I put in a PS1 disc and in worked. It then directed me to the PS1/PS2 memory card utility. I'm like what the flip :bomb:. Sony can make the oldest disks work but can't make the new ones work. Evenmore, there's a memory option for it. Someone give me some insight on it b/c I am starting to think Sony is pretty lazy for this one.[/QUOTE]

That's because the PS2 is a lot harder to emulate than the PS1, in case you didn't know.

When Sony starts selling PS2 games as DLC you will know why they dropped PS2 BC, and why they left the virtual PS2 mem card options in there.

You just got learned.

Thanks for the replies. I knew that they didn't play PS2 games, but didn't know about the PS1 capability. The PS1/PS2 memory option just annoyed me b/c they left it on there. I didn't know they planned on selling PS2 games for download though. I especially appreciate those grasped the question completely and answered it accordingly.

I wouldn't even bother getting the PS3 (unless you plan on SOLELY playing PS3 games) it has so many unreasonable faults that don't make sense in my opinion. For PS1 or PS2 games.. I would just get the PS2 ORIGINAL. Newer PS2 models have too many problems with accepting memory cards.

But bottom line is... you're looking into playing games from older technology (PS2) thats not so popular anymore. If you don't have the original consoles now days you mind as well just say hell with it, or move on to the new stuff.

The PS1 and PS2 virtual memory options are linked under the same application. Since all systems still play PS1 games, there was no reason to remove/change it. Also keep in mind that Sony releases firmware updates for ALL of their consoles so they couldn't exactly release one specifically for non PS2-bc models to remove the "PS2" part, as that would screw over people who had PS2 BC models.

[quote name='ssjmichael']The PS1 and PS2 virtual memory options are linked under the same application. Since all systems still play PS1 games, there was no reason to remove/change it. Also keep in mind that Sony releases firmware updates for ALL of their consoles so they couldn't exactly release one specifically for non PS2-bc models to remove the "PS2" part, as that would screw over people who had PS2 BC models.[/QUOTE]

Well it took a year and a half, but this is the correct answer to the OP's question. lol

Only 20,60, and certain 80 gig models play PS2 games. Sony removed this function with second or third revision of the 80 gig model.

The 20 and 60 gig models play just about all PS2 games. They literally have a PS2 in them (in terms of chips)

The 80 gig model used software to do it's emulation.

bread's done
Back