Whats your favorite gaming magazine?

Game Informer

I dont like anything with "Official" on them, they tend to be bias on reviews. I could care less for demos.

i dont like egm its so crappy. They have the most rediculis reveiws. The give crapy games like star wars rouge scwdrin (i cant spell good) a 8.5. However i love game informer. Scense its not on the list im going with cat fancy cause i love cats

Play and Computer and Videogames Magazine are my two favs. Play has the best screenshots and actually writes about the games instead of slamming them for a few flaws. Computer and Videogames usually has the most up to date info, but it is a little pricey.

EGM...quality, unbiased writing and reporting with a genuine sense of wit.

Fanboys, look elsewhere...'cause EGM is one of the few true gaming mags out there.

I subscribe to OPM and OXM only for the demos. I feel that the format and content of the OXM demo disc is better than OPM. I really have no need for gaming magazines because of all the info on the internet.

Play. It reads so much like Next Generation used to. All they need to do is cut down on some of the "Non-gaming" stuff and they'd be perfect.

Such a crying shame NG isn't around anymore. :cry:

[quote name='CaptainObviousXl']i dont like egm its so crappy. They have the most rediculis reveiws. The give crapy games like star wars rouge scwdrin (i cant spell good) a 8.5. However i love game informer. Scense its not on the list im going with cat fancy cause i love cats[/quote]

That could be just opinion. Some people just dont like some genre's. I personally HATE SOCOM and Gran Turismo. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I subscribe to EGM, PSM, OPM, Nintendo Power, Tips & Tricks, GMR.

Used to subscribe to Game Informer.

Buy Play from time to time.

Out of all those I would have to say my favorite mag is EGM. I do think that their mag is very well written. Not only that, but the reviewers tend to have the same opinion as myself in games. I don't agree with them all the time, but that is why it is just their opinion, and as always I have my own. They do tend to think like me, so my pick is EGM.

EGM first and GamePro second. I trust their reviews more than I trust my family. I just wish they had more pc reviews so I wouldn't have to get a separate subscription to CGW. But GI is by far the worst gaming mag out there. Just out of curiosity does anyone remember Incite and know what happened to them?

Game Informer for the info and OXM for the disk, but I still like reading some of their stuff when they give info about it and screenshots.

[quote name='CaptainObviousXl']i dont like egm its so crappy. They have the most rediculis reveiws. The give crapy games like star wars rouge scwdrin (i cant spell good) a 8.5. However i love game informer. Scense its not on the list im going with cat fancy cause i love cats[/quote]

Yet Game Informer gave Rogue Squadron II a 9.5...oops. But you should just admit they were right about it :p

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Just wondering, but is Gamers Republic still around? I thought it went under, but i'm not entirely sure.....[/quote]

Gamer's Republic is gone, but the editor, Dave Halverson, has gone on to create Play magazine, which covers video games and anime. Its a beautiful magazine to look at, with lots of style, but the writers, particularly Dave Halverson tend to favor old school stuff and a lot of times their reviews don't line up with everyone elses. For example, they gave Blinx a perfect 10 and Ty The Tasmanian Tiger a 9 out of 10. They also gave Haven a very high score, if I recall. I think they tend to favor platformers and action/adventure games and their bias toward them shows in their reviews. But overall, its a good magazine.

OK, whose the 9 year old who voted for Nintendo Power? That magazine stays next to my toilet in case I run out of toilet paper.

Gamepro sucks too, but it should be in the poll. They now have a new and inproved, "streamlined" review synopsis. According to them, it's what readers have asked for. I know when I'm reading a game review I think to myself:

-Gee, I wish they didn't tell me all these details about a game, just give me a synopsis of the story and some nondescript sentences so I can leave the rest to my imagination.

God forbid someone would actually want to read a review of more than 300 words in order to know if games are worth their hard earned $50.

[quote name='elprincipe'][quote name='CaptainObviousXl']i dont like egm its so crappy. They have the most rediculis reveiws. The give crapy games like star wars rouge scwdrin (i cant spell good) a 8.5. However i love game informer. Scense its not on the list im going with cat fancy cause i love cats[/quote]

Yet Game Informer gave Rogue Squadron II a 9.5...oops. But you should just admit they were right about it :p[/quote]

I think hes talking about the third one.

My favorite gaming magazines are the FREE ones! :lol:

As far as reviews go most review sites and mags have been slowly lowering their standards to where most games now are above average or great when they should just be average or poor.

The pc version of DX2 clearly proves this as it was given high scores yet most people can't even play the game without choppy framerates cause the performance is so poor - not to mention the 2 year old graphics, circus-like physics, and horrendous AI and streamlining.

You say Play is like Next Gen? :whistle2:k

I think I've found a new favorite mag. I still have the sheet of paper saying "Next Gen is no more. The remainder of your subscription will be fulfilled with PSM." I was like "WTF? NOOOOOOOOooo!"

I also read EGM usually, but haven't for a while. BTW, XBN also reads a lot like Next Gen.

And I heard Polygon Magazine is supposed to be very good, although no stores carry it lol

www.polygonmag.com

[quote name='st0neface'][quote name='elprincipe'][quote name='CaptainObviousXl']i dont like egm its so crappy. They have the most rediculis reveiws. The give crapy games like star wars rouge scwdrin (i cant spell good) a 8.5. However i love game informer. Scense its not on the list im going with cat fancy cause i love cats[/quote]

Yet Game Informer gave Rogue Squadron II a 9.5...oops. But you should just admit they were right about it :p[/quote]

I think hes talking about the third one.[/quote]

If he was, he's still wrong. EGM gave RS III a 7 and double 7.5's. Nintendo Power is by far the worst gaming mag avaliable, followed by GamePro. Let's use cartoon characters for our editors, and write the mag for blind 9 year olds! Woohoo! OPM is a very streamlined and modern mag with a great disc, and GI has great pic's, even if their reviews are a bit off sometimes. EGM is absolutley the best of the best, their since of wit is unparalled. They aren't biased, and in my personal opinion, they have the best review staff. Just my opinon. The ranting stops here.

I miss the days of Diehard Game Fan. Now THAT was a kick ass mag! I get EGM, Game Informer, Play, OXM and Nintendo Power (*side effect from getting the Zelda disk). I like them all except for NP, but I tend to lean toward Play. Can't put my finger on it, but I just really like it.

I like EGM. The magazine is pretty cheap ($4.99 an issue) and they have a lot of in-depth previews. The reviews are sometimes wrong but they're mostly accurate.

I currently get both EGM and Gamepro cause they were free. I enjoy EGM and I find I agree with most reviews. Gamepro, however, is complete crap. I feel they ride the hype wave for many of their reviews if not paid off altogether. I am reminded of their Star Wars galaxies review where they said "Galaxies had a few server jitters at launch (the game was unplayable for the first couple of days), and there’s still a lot to do yet, since the last stage of Beta wasn’t completely finished when the game was rushed to stores. Still, even with tons of balancing and content missing..." and proceeded to give it a 5 not far after launch. Most of their reviews seem like they read the back of the box and listed the features promised rather than actually playing the game.

I will have to check out play since I enjoyed Next-Gen years ago.

I know everyone will probably disagree with this, but I actually enjoy X-Play and agree with many of their reveiws (such as SWG 2/5). Maybe its cause I have the same opinion of Final Fantasy Adam Sessler seems to.

[quote name='defender']Foul Magazine[/quote]

foul totally rules. we used to get issues for sale at where i work, but nobody ever bought them, so now we don't carry it.

egm is probably the other best magazine. they have good reviews (although there seems to be one kid who thinks different) and usually fairly interesting articles. there was one issue recently where they had 12 year olds playing old games. the kids irritated me, but only because the kids had no idea of what they were talking about. if i remember, they said that tetris would be better with explosions. ugh.

i remember being younger and having a subscription to nintendo power. i used to read it all the time, read the issues over and over again. and then one day i looked at it and realized that it was 100 pages of propaganda. i was sad.

EGM since their reviews on games seems to jive with my taste. most if not all games i love would have high marks with their reviews, and when i check out ther top scoring games, its no wonder id enjoy them as well..

i also like the way they handle their reviews. u would notice a review crew (who loves RPGs) give mediocre scores with FPS games (not unless its really good), while another review crew (who loves action/adventure) would give rave reviews on the same game. now thats the reality with how most people look at games. thats the only magazine where i could see one reviewer give a score of 5 while the other gives a score of 8 or 9! now thats truly unbiased.

I like EGM, because I can depend on their "unbias" reviews every now and then. I would consider Gamepro but I have yet to receive my free subscription.
OXM - Gives high scores on everything, demos are good though.
Game Informer - Rates games too high, but I enjoy their game coverage.

The mags I fav the most are Game Informer and GamePro, they are the only ones that have ever given me honest opinions on games.

But nowadays I tend to stick with internet reviews and websites for all my gaming needs. Magazines seem to be a little behind on the latest news. The internet is much quicker for me. :?

No one has pointed out just how terrible OXM is. Its by far the worst magazine I've ever picked up. Why? Open up an issue and see how many times they blame graphics for being too "PS2-ish". They spend way too much time poo pooing PS2 and GC instead of making constructive criticism on Xbox games. It just gives Xbox a bad name.

Gamespot gives out the most reliable review scores, but they've been wrong from time to time. But at least they can resist the hype most of the time, unlike crappy IGN.

Theres nothing "pro" about GamePro either.

My favorite is EGM with Game Informer in a close second. The people writing the articles seem to enjoy actually playing the games more than people do from other magazines. The both have a good mix of different people that just like the play games.

"Computer Games" has some great articles, and hits up the MOD scene which is a nice change of pace. That's probably the only one I'll renew when my free subscriptions run out. (Maybe EGM... always enjoy Seanbaby)

bread's done
Back