What's your favorite hot sauce?

Maklershed

CAGiversary!
Feedback
77 (100%)
I just discovered my new favorite at a restaurant called Iguana Mia .. it's called Cholula. It's kinda hard to find here in Central PA but it was worth the search. I put it on everything. :whee:

My only complaint is that it's not as :hot: as I'd like but the flavor is good.

So what is your favorite hot sauce?

I've always been partial to Melinda's. There's something to be said for a hot sauce that even tastes good on grilled catfish as well as the standard steak & chicken.

I've been liking Valentina lately. It's not very hot, but it has a great smoky, earthy flavor.

Looking at the website right now, it looks like they have two varieties: red label and black label. I've never seen the black label; maybe that's the hotter version.

Edit: I had the black label yesterday at lunch at my favorite Mexican restaurant. It was hotter than the red label (which actually has a yellow label...not sure why they call it "red label" on their site), but it wasn't too hot. It was about as hot as Cholula.

I also bought some Cholula after reading this thread. It's really good, with a great garlic-like flavor.

I like the standards-- Frank's, Cholula, Tabasco. but I also like some scotch bonnet pepper sauces (some Jamaican ones.) Haven't had them in a while.

oh and Sriracha is godly!

the ones i use are all about 10 bucks a bottle. I usually go with Da Bomb, Daves insanity, or smack my ass and call me sally.

I dream of one day heading to one of the hot sauce stores in Austin and having a few hundred bucks to blow.

Louisiana/Cayenne pepper sauces are good - I don't really pay attention to the brand, but I think it's called Red Devil. Frank's is ok if a bit standard.

There's a local farmer's market here that makes an Habanero sauce, and it is exquisite. I absolutely love that stuff.

THere is a local fried chicken joint that has awesome hot sauce in those little packets. If I knew where to buy that hot sauce, I would be one happy man.

O GAWD, cholula, wait for zew to see this thread. Stuff is gross, I use it on my gas station burritos cuz thats all they offer. I guess if you like the taste of it it is good, but it has sooo much flavor it's almost like a seasoning over a hot sauce. I just like my hot sauces light on taste and to add a nice kick to your food.

My original response to this thread was going to be "Taco Bell" but since I seen it was about cholula I had to rant, sorry.

And for extremists out there, try Dave's insanity hot sauce. You'll be breathing fire.

[quote name='mr ryles']O GAWD, cholula, wait for zew to see this thread. Stuff is gross, I use it on my gas station burritos cuz thats all they offer. I guess if you like the taste of it it is good, but it has sooo much flavor it's almost like a seasoning over a hot sauce. I just like my hot sauces light on taste and to add a nice kick to your food.

My original response to this thread was going to be "Taco Bell" but since I seen it was about cholula I had to rant, sorry.

And for extremists out there, try Dave's insanity hot sauce. You'll be breathing fire.[/QUOTE]

Insanity? $$$$a plz.

http://www.davesgourmet.peachhost.com/ct_PRdair.htm

:cool:

Ashanti Wing Sauce

picchickenwingsaucecr4.jpg

It taste almost like the stuff they use at Denny's on the boneless buffalo wings.

I know this girl who brought back this awesome hot sauce from costa rica. Has a kick, but it also has a sweet mango taste to it. Made the burrito I had 5x's better.

I'm making some buffalo wings tomorrow with frank's+butter+garilic+honey. Gonna be tasty.

I have to go with Sriracha sauce as well. That stuff is extremely hot over time and goes with pretty much everything. I'm partial to the American brand, Huy Fong.

I agree anything under Fire is crap. They're just too watery.

I used to love the habanero sauce, but I can't find it anywhere except in dirty taco shops.

[quote name='Wet Ninja']Haha, I did too. I thought you were going Billy Mitchell on us.[/QUOTE]

Just because Makler has a wide array of overly patriotic novelty ties that he constantly wears doesn't mean he's going to start hawking hot sauce.

Plus he can't pull off the Jesus-do.

Tabasco and Tapatio are good with different things, but when you really want to feel the burn, there's this stuff called- I shit you not- Rectal Rocket Fuel. It's made with habaneros, and lots of them. Good stuff.

rocket-fuel-lg.jpg

Another vote for Cholula. My brother in law converted me to it from my previous choice of Tabasco

[quote name='SubiDoobieDoo']Chipotle Tabasco....the only place I've seen it at is Chiptole.[/quote]

For years I was in your situation, and could only find the original and green pepper flavors. After several letters to Tabasco and conversations with my local markets, I started to see the chipotle, habanero, and garlic flavors in-store. There were also a couple times that a Chipotle manager was kind enough to let me take a chipotle bottle after I asked nicely. Of course, he also said that there are lots of people who just take them without asking, too.

bread's done
Back