Whats your Favorite Video Game Music?

A presentation on game music? You'll probably just get laughed at.

But then again, I did a presentation on Mitsuda once for English class, and even played some tracks off of the Chrono Cross soundtrack. I like how the teacher wanted a copy.

Always a fan of Nubuo Uematsu. Particularly the Calbrena theme music, Kefka's theme, the final battle music from FFVI, FFVII, and Those Chosen. Cosmo Canyon was pretty sweet too.

Also dig Katamari Damacy, Zelda, and SMB music too.

I've been listening to Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories lately, but I'm a fan of almost anything. Favorites include but are not limited to Chrono Trigger, Mega Man 2, Mega Man X, Shadow of the Colossus, and
Guilty Gear XX #Reload: The Midnight Carnival.

I like Killer 7's music a lot. the Harman's Room theme gives me chills every time.

Guilty Gear has some great hair metal :lol:

My Favorite video game soundtracks:

Street Fighter III Third Strike
Super Street Fighter II Turbo
Megaman X4
Jet Set Radio
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy VI
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Katamari Damacy
Tekken 3

I like orchestra/classical type music in games similar to film music. Some examples: Metal Gear Solid 2, Killzone, KOTOR

Tekken Series
Jet Set Radio Future
Shadow of the Colossus
GUN
Soul Edge
GTA: Liberty City Stories (under appreciated music IMHO)
Katamari games
Gitaroo Man
Project Justice
REZ
Electroplankton
Nintendogs (oddly enough I like it)
Animal Crossing
Metal Gear Solid/Acid
Killer 7 (best club music ever!)
Final Fantasy Tactics
Super Mario Land (Gameboy... don't know why i like the cheeasyness of it)

i really like the 80's style guitar music of smt: nocturne
vice city's music also is pretty cool although it's not "officially" video game music
Katamari and we love katamari always get my vote, of course...weird original music.

Believe it or not Halo 1&2 soundtracks are impressive as all hell. Like the game or not, the songs bridge a medium between video game soundtacks and movies (the Halo 2 soundtrack especially).

Mega Man 2. It's one of the few soundtracks you can "sing" yourself and sound pretty close to what it actually sounds like. You know what I mean, like Bubble Man's stage, you go "Wahhh wah wah wahhh, wah wah nah, wah nah waah, wah nah waah."

I've probably listened to the SotC soundtrack more than anything else recently. Beyond that, I've been a big fan of Mitsuda's work, CC especially, and after listening to the Baten Kaitos soundtrack numerous times I'm really getting into Sakuraba. When it comes to old-school stuff (NES primarily), Konami wins hands-down imo. Castlevania, Gradius 2, Jackal, Contra, etc. Love those tunes.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Mega Man 2. It's one of the few soundtracks you can "sing" yourself and sound pretty close to what it actually sounds like. You know what I mean, like Bubble Man's stage, you go "Wahhh wah wah wahhh, wah wah nah, wah nah waah, wah nah waah."[/QUOTE]

Hahaha...awesome. I completely agree.

Other than Megaman 2, I would say FFVI and Chrono Trigger will always be on a list like this for me. More recently, Shadow of the Colossus and Katamari Damacy have been getting a lot of attention.

Absolute favorite: The music from the Culex battle in Super Mario RPG. Brings back memories.

Other candidates:
Wrapped in Black (Sonic Rush)
Live and Learn (Sonic Adventure 2)

Pretty much any intense boss battle makes an impact on me.

King of Fighters you FOOLS!!!

btw, I have MP3s of all songs from KOF95-97, Real Bout Fatal Fury 1 and Special, and SamSho4 if thou would like.

It's hard to list them all.

SMT: Nocturn
SMT: DDS 1 & 2
Final Fantasy (they're all good)
Xenogears
Xenosaga
Kingdom Hearts
SOTC
Castlevania
Chrono Trigger
Guilty Gear
Ikaruga
Star Ocean: the second story
Zone of the Enders 2
Valkyrie Profile (They're re-releasing the OST)

That is to name a few. I wish I had the money to buy all of those. I've been listening alot of Gaming FM lately.

na na na na na na na na na na Katamari Damacy!!

also funkin time now" in GTA: LCS. it is really funny.

the fight music in FFIII

MARIO

TETRIS

ZELDA

As much as I respect VG Music, OP, you're not gonna wow the crowd with MIDIs.

Here's a site with game soundtracks in MP3 format:
http://gh.ffshrine.org/soundtracks.php

Edit: What class is this for? I'd love to do a presentation on video game music.
Also, can you be more clear on how you're doing your presentation? I'd suggest using a projector (which your classroom might already have) to screen game trailers with good music; the opening intro for Metal Gear Solid 2 and Zone of the Enders: 2nd Runner come to mind.

Nah na na nan nan nah na nah na - Katamari Demacy! I actually like We Love Katamari more than the original... Disco Prince is a great track.

Doot doo doo doo do DAYYYYYTOOOONNNAAAA! Daytona was one of the best original racing soundtracks ever, couple it with Sonic R, and you have a great 1-2 Sega racing punch.

Ridge Racer - Take your pick of the volume

Amplitude

And of course we can't forget Dance Dance Revolution

I love video game music. Always have.

One of my hobbies for the last eight or so years (holy crap, it's been that long already?!) has been sequencing MIDI files of various game music. A lot of my stuff is on the aforementioned vgmusic.com, under teh sequencer name Stacy Anne Christiansen.

The quality of MIDI files not only depends on who sequenced it, but what your listening equipment is.

Some of my MIDI files recorded as mp3s off of the synth I use (Yamaha YXG-50)
http://www.psychobin.com/music/Chemical_Plant_Zone.mp3
http://www.psychobin.com/music/SOR2.mp3

And the most recent MIDI I've completed:
http://www.psychobin.com/midi/MIDI/Nintendo/Phoenix_Wright-Jake_Marshall.mid

Wow Zingela, those sound really good! I remember liking the chemical plant midi along with the Oil Drum Factory midi from DKC1 on the SNES.

[quote name='whitereflection']As much as I respect VG Music, OP, you're not gonna wow the crowd with MIDIs.

Edit: What class is this for? I'd love to do a presentation on video game music.
Also, can you be more clear on how you're doing your presentation? I'd suggest using a projector (which your classroom might already have) to screen game trailers with good music; the opening intro for Metal Gear Solid 2 and Zone of the Enders: 2nd Runner come to mind.[/QUOTE]

yep, agreed best online game music... also check my radio show in my sig for some good samples.

Of all the game music I've heard in all my years of gaming (I started in the 2600 days) the one game soundtrack that's been stuck in my head the most is from the nes game "The Battle of Olympus" as much as I want to say my favorite music is something grand and orchistrated, I keep going back to the music of that game...

...though there is something to be said for the theme from "Parasite Eve"

I love the music in Fable. It fits within the game so well. Without the game, it's not nearly as good, though.

[quote name='whitereflection']As much as I respect VG Music, OP, you're not gonna wow the crowd with MIDIs.

Also, can you be more clear on how you're doing your presentation? I'd suggest using a projector (which your classroom might already have) to screen game trailers with good music; the opening intro for Metal Gear Solid 2 and Zone of the Enders: 2nd Runner come to mind.[/QUOTE]

great site. ive been ripping my own soundtracks to avoid using the midi.

this class is really unformal. Its a computer music class (electronic composition V i believe) which meets in the computer music lab which doesnt have a projector. this semester is strictly history lessons on composers and music generes that have influenced or inspired computer music. My professor let us chose our next topic which is why im doing video game music. i will give a short 5 minute speech on Video Game Music History and give examples afterwards.

thank you for everyones input. are there any other places i can find video game music? websites? p2p file sharing programs? (like soulseek)

I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for, but 1up.com did an incredible 5-part feature on game music. The first few parts are a general overview on game music and the latter half is more technical.

Just go to 1up.com and search for "Gaming's Rhapsody."

dam i didnt even noticfe the other one was a midi...oops...even better i have been looking for the R4 sound track for a long time.

Street Fighter Alpha 2, Final Fantasy 7, and Valkyrie Profile are some of my favorites.

I often go to Overclocked and get remixes of older games like Mega Man 2.

[quote name='Megalith']A presentation on game music? You'll probably just get laughed at.
[/quote]

My final project in college was on game music. No one laughed...they rather enjoyed it.

Anyone know where I could find the Red Dead Revolver soundtrack?

bread's done
Back