What's your personal limit on deal exploitation?

Archaic

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
I ask because I caught two pages worth of shit on the message linked below for trying to discuss how to best exploit GR (and this without even going -in my opinion- radically overboard).

Here's the post:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39259

I was puzzled as to why many were so upset. I'm not making them take the deal, and I suggest that it be done in moderation. Nor do I believe that I come off (in the original post, at least) as a know-it-all or a jerk.

So I believe that I'm truly seen as taking excessive advantage of a good deal. If I can't do that here, and suggest ways for you to do the same, I must have misunderstood this site. Odd. :?

Anyway, I thought an interesting topic might be, "What's your personal limit?"

id take advantage of a good deal 2 times..maybe 3 at TOPS..1 for me...one to selll..and if its 3, then maybe as a present :)..any more than that,...then ur being abusive :whistle2:\

If I had a car I would do a lot for a good deal, but seeing as I am 14 I still have 2 years before I get to drive.

I'd probably take advantage of it for games that I wanted but I don't have the patience to do it much more than that (i.e. going back and forth to various locations).

With that said, ignore all those people who gave you crap about abusing the system. It's certainly not thievery as long as you are following the guidelines of the deal. If you were abusing that much you probably would have been banned by someone by now.

I say there are no limits, if you can get away with it go for it. If a store has deals where they can be exploited like that, or where they lose money, then it the fault of the company and not the consumer. You'd think these multi-million dollar companies would be smart enough to avoid things like this, but apperently not.

[quote name='Archaic']I ask because I caught two pages worth of shit on the message linked below for trying to discuss how to best exploit GR (and this without even going -in my opinion- radically overboard).

Here's the post:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39259

I was puzzled as to why many were so upset. I'm not making them take the deal, and I suggest that it be done in moderation. Nor do I believe that I come off (in the original post, at least) as a know-it-all or a jerk.

So I believe that I'm truly seen as taking excessive advantage of a good deal. If I can't do that here, and suggest ways for you to do the same, I must have misunderstood this site. Odd. :?

Anyway, I thought an interesting topic might be, "What's your personal limit?"[/quote]

I don't think you've read the posts of those who have radically taken advantage of the deal... multiple thousands in trade credit, using trade in credit to purchase multiple DS's and PSTwos to sell on ebay.
While your documentation of how they did it doesn't suggest one go those extremes, it does put the idea in a couple more people's minds.
Some people with only one store near them or the means to only visit one store get bothered by this because these people raping the deals bring in crap and pick out all the gems. Given enough time, they effectively kill the viability of the deal in multiple stores (especially when they trade the "better" games to other stores to get credit elsewhere.)

If there's a deal I want, I get it for me. If it's a great deal but I don't really want the game, then I get one and trade it.

[quote name='snotnose_colossal']I say there are no limits, if you can get away with it go for it. If a store has deals where they can be exploited like that, or where they lose money, then it the fault of the company and not the consumer. You'd think these multi-million dollar companies would be smart enough to avoid things like this, but apperently not.[/quote]

They can do it all they want, but they shouldn't expect everyone to kiss thier feet when they brag about thier finds on the boards. Every time they get a good deal, they could concievably be taking one away from someone else. If you lived the same area as some of these people who brag about how they exploit this deal, wouldn't you start to get a little sour grapes about things when all you find every time you to Gamerush is 10 copies of Drake, 50 copies of the games from the Walmart 3 pack and piles upon piles of PS1 madden games?

[quote name='chickenhawk']I'd probably take advantage of it for games that I wanted but I don't have the patience to do it much more than that (i.e. going back and forth to various locations).

With that said, ignore all those people who gave you crap about abusing the system. It's certainly not thievery as long as you are following the guidelines of the deal. If you were abusing that much you probably would have been banned by someone by now.[/quote]

It is abusing the system. There is no if's and's or but's about it.
Most people aren't complaining out of moral outrage... rather they also want to partake in the deals, and a few people go and shuffle the stock so badly that they don't get a chance to get in on even some of the more moderate deals.

I do think there is a level of reason, and do think there are quite a few people that surpassed it. Is it legal? Yes. Is it nice? No.
Talking about how you did that (effectively ruining the ability of perhaps a dozen others to partake in the deal) does not foster a feeling of community.

If you want to do it, fine. Some people don't want to hear it anymore.
Don't expect people to kiss your feet when you far surpass a reasonable level, and you won't have a problem.

Of course, there are some people that are overzealous and have a much lower level of what they consider reasonable.

The only deal I "exploited" was picking up two copies of The Hobbit at $10 each for the GCN back when it got $25 trade in at Gamerush. The store had about five copies, so I didn't clear them out since I knew two would suit my purposes. I had no desire to play the game, they were going straight to Gamerush.

I then traded those two in with Spider-Man 2 (from a previous trade in deal) and got $90 credit from all three (this was with the trade in 3 or more get an extra $5 each). With this credit I picked up a new copy of Fable (it was right after its release) and reserved Halo 2 CE for free after the remaining credit. I got over $105 worth of games for a little over $22.

let's see . . . I used 5 Zelda 67% off rainchecks at Target . . . 1 per week to get the holiday release games that I wanted . . .

but I didn't use them for profit.

I saw the crap on the GR post . . . I think people should exploit loopholes . . . but know when to back off . . . tough to do

what i like to do is go over to my friends house, and he always says im welcome to whatever i want, so initially i would just raid his fridge when im was hungry. then after ahwhile i realized if i was judicial about what i took and when, i could bring back lots of food to my place.
this was so successful that i started taking nonfood items (since he had said i was welcome to whatever), and i would then sell that stuff at the pawn shop or ebay. After a bit, i think he started to wonder what was happening and i felt kind of bad, so one day i knew he wasnt home, i smashed some windows and took a couple large items- you know to make it look like a robbery. He reported the incident and his insurance company gave him all this money for the "stolen" stuff. I think he might have been bummed, but then he got all this money, so it worked out for everyone in the end.
Also, a small puppy might have been kicked, and this might have been accidental or not, im not exactly sure.

limit defined

I think you gotta understand how people feel when they miss a deal.

Especially if they miss a deal because someone shits in the pool.

When you shit in the pool it gets drained and no one else can swim. Don't exploit to the point where the deal is ended by your actions.

i am not a resaler so i don't do that kind of stuff at all. like for the CC $5 deal sometimes I picked up an extra title for a buddy and informed a lot of people who arn't CAG's about it.....but i sold none of the games for extra money and i sold back none of them to other stores.....that is just the way i am

[quote name='schultzed']I think you gotta understand how people feel when they miss a deal.

Especially if they miss a deal because someone shits in the pool.

When you shit in the pool it gets drained and no one else can swim. Don't exploit to the point where the deal is ended by your actions.[/quote]

Yeah, nobody likes a pool-shitter!

Can't abuse what you don't have...sadly no GRs in the state of Illinois (which I still firmly believe is a mass conspiracy meant to prevent me from abusing GR deals)

EDIT: oh ya, my 300th post, i'm now a veteran - woo :roll:

Personally, what you described is just too much work for my tastes. Not that I have a GameRush in my area anyway, but I do have the next best thing - Rhino.

Rhino owns all other video game stores. Yea, they don't have a lot of older games (except used). Yea, they usually get new releases a day or two later than everyone else. So why, you ask, are they so great? Simple: Trade in any two games that they resell for $25 or more, and get a brand new game free. You pay tax. That's it. Doesn't sound that good? Do you have any idea how many $5-$10 games I've gotten from Target, Blockbuster, etc. and traded in at Rhino? Do you? My best deal was probably picking up 2 copies of 1080 Avalanche at EB when they had them on sale for $10, and trading those in at Rhino. Then I sent in the 2 EB $10 rebates for them.

Effort and dignity. I am not going to shout at some Target manager to honor a raincheck so I save $30 on a game. If you will throw a screaming fit over that, you need to get a job because it's not worth it. The people here that are like "they have to give me that price I will piss and moan until I get it" make me sick. Christ, even the best deals here save you anywhere from $15-$35, if that is make or break to you, you need to find a less expensive hobby.

Similarly, I am not going to drive to 6 stores trying to get them to sell me Ace Combat 5 for $5 because it's not worth the time, money, and effort to maybe get a deal like that to work.

A web site glitch? Sure, I'll give it a shot, but if it doesn't go through, the hell with it.

I think my deal karma came through quite nicely when Eastbay sold me a $100 baseball jersey for $6. ($99.99 jersey marked as $9.99 - 40% coupon code was actually honored).

bread's done
Back