when did ram prices jump?

LaraCroftsLeftBoob

CAGiversary!
Feedback
55 (100%)
a couple of months ago i was thinking about adding a gig of ram to my comp but ended up not. today i was looking again to add another gig and the prices have jumped up really bad. when i looked before the ram i was thinking about getting was $80-90, now it's $130! are prices expected to drop anytime in the near future? or are they expected to get even higher?

DDR is rising in price because it seems to be near the end for it. AMD has moved onto DDR2 and production has slowed down. Look at SDRAM, it's about the same price level as DDR.

DDR2 on the other hand has seen some major price drops/rebates. Your best bet would be to buy DDR used. Try Anandtech or Hardforums.

im thinking it was kingston/corsair/crucial that was around that price a few months ago. i dont remember what the exact prices were for each brand. i know they weren't the cheapest, but they weren't 130 like they are now. i remember the cheapest a few months ago was in the $65-75 range. now the cheapest is around $100. i was thinkin the 3 brands i listed were in the 80-90 range.
1gb (512mb x 2) pc4200 ddr2 240 pin is the types i was looking at.

Not to thread crap but $130 for a gig? Shit, I paid $320 for 8 megs back when dinosaurs roamed the internet.

Core 2 Duo caused about a 50% increase in DDR2 prices. I got my memory about a week before the launch of the X6800 (which was a week before the E series processors- so 2 weeks total before C2D's official launch) for $168 after a $40MiR. During the week C2D came out, the memory jumped to $269 after rebate. I'm glad I ordered it when I did...:)

Sadly, you probably can't expect a price drop anytime soon.

OP, where are you getting your prices from? I'm finding tons available for 95-$110 for a single DDR2 PC5300 stick.

I just paid $244 last week for 2GB Crucial Ballistix but they came with a $40 MIR, making it $204.

I think I paid about $200 for a 512k stick back in ye olden times. And I had to walk through 6 miles of 10 foot high snow barefoot while avoiding a pack of angry bears....bears with chainsaws! And I liked it!

Ah the joys of computer upgrades.

[quote name='wageslave']Not to thread crap but $130 for a gig? Shit, I paid $320 for 8 megs back when dinosaurs roamed the internet.[/QUOTE]

i was looking at some 2 gigs at Fry's

13325077.gif

damn, highway robbery.

[quote name='topnotch97']i was looking at some 2 gigs at Fry's

13325077.gif

damn, highway robbery.[/quote]

That's actually cheaper than some online outlets (I'm looking at you ZipZoomFly).

[quote name='Mondo']I bought Kingston Valuram 1 gig for 36$ 2-3 months ago.. it's back up to 55$ now[/quote]

Where is 1 gig for 55$??? newegg has it at 111$ I need some....:hot:

The price keeps going up... and up.

I just scored 2x 1GB DDR2 800 for $217 shipped. It was Corsair XMS2 Pro (the ones with the aluminum heatsinks and LEDs). I'll probably sell my old ones. I don't see any need for 4GB of memory.

bread's done
Back