When DID we switch from "old" to "new" ?

mleach26

CAGiversary!
I have been thinking about this question for a while. When was the point that we switched from "old" style gaming to the "new" style of gaming. By that i mean remember the old days when you played on your atari 2600 or loaded tapes on your commadore vic-20? i do, you used to wait 15 mins for a game to load into memory and maybe play for an hour or two, switch it off and then have to reload again :) same with maybe the amiga 500, load games off 3.5" floppies and wait several minutes for a game to load. I think for me it came at the point when i got the snes in 1993, thats when it changed because at last switch on and play, no need to worry about if the floppies where corrupted, if 512mb or 1mb where needed etc, that was the defining moment i think :whistle2:?

Now we EXPECT the games to have fantatic graphics , excellent gameplay, great sound, and multiplayer as standard. If none of these are met we bitch moan and complain about it. Don't get me wrong i love to play well developed games as much as the next man :D but maybe the majority of people could realise that we used to get excited about games that ran in 64K of ram ??

To finish, i think the gaming industry as a whole has gotten so big it easy for the industry to forget its origins, sometimes.

*points to everyone freaking out over MegaMan 9*

And I haven't switched. I still play Link's Awakening on my Gameboy Color (the grey brick is still awaiting repair even though I have all the parts) and Kirby's Adventure on Virtual Console. My younger brothers and sisters are enjoying my NES and N64 and those consoles are older than they are. The Virtual Console and Live Arcade make money hand over fist.

It's more like a meeting of old and new.

My 360 collects dust while my Genesis Nomad and Saturn run on overdrive. The new stuff is not enticing for me when it releases. I love the old games and will probably continue to spend on them rather the newer generation for awhile.

I think the PS2 did it for me, up until then I still had my trusty coleco system hooked up along side my sega. Something just happened and I decided I wanted to keep going forward instead of hanging on to the past.

Now I have all 3 of the new systems and ALOT of free closet space for my wife to put her cloths. I just cant go back to playing those old games, sure they were awsome when thats all we had but todays games are just so fucking fantasic, and extra time to play is very limited. Now if we had actual arcades to play in like we did in the late 70's early 80's, well I'd still be stoned and it wouldnt matter anyway.

Sega Genesis.

[quote name='gindias']Now if we had actual arcades to play in like we did in the late 70's early 80's, well I'd still be stoned and it wouldnt matter anyway.[/quote]

For the most part, these arcades sucked. Smokey, smelly places with broken controllers.

It's been at least 2 months since I last played the one Sega Genesis I rebought from a local shop, but the last game I played on it(WWF Royal Rumble)I still enjoyed immensely. This was even considering the fact that your fingers would damn near be bleeding on the higher difficulty levels due to having to mash buttons to get a single move in.

So, I really haven't switched completely from old to new yet, but my one buddy who went through the Genny generation with me won't go back and play any of the older stuff now. Shame really, since back it seemed like it was ALL about gameplay and not so much the 'pretty pictures', which is what I think we've degenerated into now.

Pretty pictures=/= good gameplay

By the way, if anybody wants a nice long read on gaming history, Gamespot had a nice series a while back called The History Of Video Games.

Here's a link: http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/features/video/hov/

[quote name='daminion']For the most part, these arcades sucked. Smokey, smelly places with broken controllers.[/quote]

Don't forget the drunk pedophiles lurking in the corner. Ahh, memories.

[quote name='depascal22']Don't forget the drunk pedophiles lurking in the corner. Ahh, memories.[/quote]

:lol: I think I had some pedo try that 'puppy' routine on me when I was like 11-12, I just laughed at him and said I had a dog and went back to playing my game.:roll:

People were excited to get paid $4 an hour back then to.

Don't get me wrong I'd still buy games if developers made new ones for the SNES. I'm just saying that with technology the way it is today it is expected to not be crappy from a good developer.

[quote name='mleach26']
Now we EXPECT the games to have fantatic graphics , excellent gameplay, great sound, and multiplayer as standard. If none of these are met we bitch moan and complain about it. Don't get me wrong i love to play well developed games as much as the next man :D but maybe the majority of people could realise that we used to get excited about games that ran in 64K of ram ??
[/quote]

It really just depends on what you like. Back in the day, there were plenty of trash games, just like now. I think one of the reasons we're nostalgic about the old days is because we only glamorize the good times. We remember our Mega Men, our Mario's, or Street Fighters, but does anyone remember ET for Atari? Or Home Alone for NES? Of course not.

And no one really cares about new trash games either. It's just as hard to make a good game nowadays as it was back then. Look at all the Sonic titles that have come out.. the only good ones have been on Nintendo DS. If only Sega realized that all we want is Sonic 4.. not Shadow the Uzi-toting hedgehog.. they'd make mad loot. Just like NES did with Mega Man 9.

I feel there are several clearly delineated old/new boundaries during my lifetime.

2600/Intellivision to ColecoVision/NES

SNES/Genesis to N64/PS1

PS2/Xbox to present

[quote name='Zing']I feel there are several clearly delineated old/new boundaries during my lifetime.

SNES/Genesis to N64/PS1

PS2/Xbox to present[/QUOTE]

This

Three words: Dual Analog Sticks

Just think about it. It was like the transition from the Bronze Age to the Iron Age for gaming.

[quote name='Zing']I feel there are several clearly delineated old/new boundaries during my lifetime.

SNES/Genesis to N64/PS1

PS2/Xbox to present[/quote]

I'd have to go with these boundaries too. Seems to me like whatever the newest system out is "next gen", the "current" one is new, the last system out is old. That being said, For me the old-school system cutoff will always be the Atari 2600.

I believe one of the major boundaries in gaming that came a little after 3D is the focus from Japanese developed RPG, Adventure, and fighting games to the current American dominated market of FPSs and WesternRPGs.

Another major boundary that came with the current gen consoles is the inclusion of multiplayer in just about every game (which I believe the Xbox 360 was the main catalyst of this). It's come to a point that a game without multiplayer or online co-op (even RPGs) are thought of as incomplete.

[quote name='Zing'] 2600/Intellivision to ColecoVision/NES [/QUOTE]
The NES certainly began what we now call "gaming". The leap from the 2600 to the NES is so great I doubt you could find a teenager today to recall at least 3 games that were for the 2600 or Apple ][, while many have probably played a few NES games.

[quote name='bsesb2003']I'd say the PS1 -- it was a polygon superstar and brought DVD players to the mainstream.[/quote]

PS1 Never Had DVD Support.

For Me.NES,Game boy,DS And PS1

[quote name='bsesb2003']I'd say the PS1 -- it was a polygon superstar and brought DVD players to the mainstream.[/quote]

Yeah, I think it was the PS1 in my opinion as well.

The switching form cartridges to discs was the biggest change in my book. Granted, I know handhelds still use cartridges (at least Nintendo), but they're a different beast.

I love a well-made graphical beast of a game as much as the next guy, but I will ALWAYS prefer 2D sprite-based games.

Hell, I've bought more Super Famicom games this year than I have for the 3 next-gen consoles COMBINED....and I buy A LOT of games. :)

Old and New is constantly changing. I would say that games from a previous generation enters the "Old" Category. So an Xbox is Old School now, since we have the Xbox360.

Of course, we can further divide them "Old" games into several degrees of Old, but as far as New and Old, I see Modern games of the current generation as "New School", and any games that have rotated out as "Old School"

bread's done
Back