When does an older car's value start to increase?

Canadian_Man

CAGiversary!
I know once you hit a certain point, something like 20-25 years old, cars start to increase in value.

Granted it isn't exactly a Mustang or GTO, I can't seem to find much on my '92 Integra. It's a second generation, which is becoming increasingly rare. Unfortunately, it is a level just below the fabled GS-R with its B17A engine.

I've been putting money into it as of recent and will be keeping it regardless, but to know it will increase in value/rarity as well as some knowledge on the topic in general would be comforting :bouncy:

From my limited experience, it looks like it has to either be from a significant design period (60s muscle, 50s fins), be really old, or have a mechanical feature that is desirable (a la the B17A).

I don't know that the 92 Integra really fits my first or third categories, so you've probably got another 15-20 years before it would figure into the second.

It is a nice car. I always liked em.

I have a 1974 Bronco that was not particularly exciting in its first life, but due to scarcity I really get crazy looks from people. Many people have simply never seen one.

If you were sitting on a minty 1995 Integra Type-R, you'd be on to something.

With your car, you have a presumably reliable means of getting from point A to point B.

The only chance you have is for a movie or some other popular medium to feature a second-gen Integra as a... I dunno, drag racing monster or something along those lines. After the first Fast and Furious movie, MK IV Supras rocketed in value. Same the Corolla GT-S from Initial D.

For the most part, never.

Very, very few cars ever increase in value on a year over year basis. 99% of cars are just down, down, down one year after another.

In order to have any shot at an increase in value it really needs to be a rare car, a limited production run, a model with a large cult following (Supra/GTR/RX7) or something like that. The old muscle cars of the 60's had pretty small production runs and sizeable amount of those production runs were not maintained or just completely trashed.

Very few "normal" cars are ever going to be worth anything more than the sum of their scrap value.

Even among exotics that have very small production runs, only a handful of them will actually increase in value. Cars like the Carrera GT, Enzo, Ford GT, Zonda are good candidates to be worth a lot more in 20 years than they are now.

[quote name='Canadian_Man']I know once you hit a certain point, something like 20-25 years old, cars start to increase in value.

Granted it isn't exactly a Mustang or GTO, I can't seem to find much on my '92 Integra. It's a second generation, which is becoming increasingly rare. Unfortunately, it is a level just below the fabled GS-R with its B17A engine.

I've been putting money into it as of recent and will be keeping it regardless, but to know it will increase in value/rarity as well as some knowledge on the topic in general would be comforting :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

That car will increase in value only if it survives the apocalypse and has a full tank of gas. It will then be worth taking the lives of others and whatever zombies are in someone's path to get to it.

My parents had that Integra. When they finally sold it like 13 or 14 years after buying it some dude from CA bought the car and had it shipped back to him. I don't remember what they sold it for but it didn't depreciate that much and my parents considered changing their phone number because they were getting calls in the middle of the night about the car for weeks after it had been sold. Crazy.

[quote name='javeryh']My parents had that Integra. When they finally sold it like 13 or 14 years after buying it some dude from CA bought the car and had it shipped back to him. I don't remember what they sold it for but it didn't depreciate that much and my parents considered changing their phone number because they were getting calls in the middle of the night about the car for weeks after it had been sold. Crazy.[/QUOTE]

What's the #? I'm interested.

The trick is you need to go out and destroy almost all of the other 92 integras out there. As supply goes down, demand goes up and so does price... in theory

bread's done
Back