When is FF IV coming to DS?

dgarlet

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
so japan got the release back in december for the ds is there any news for when its coming to the states? looked every where for something and came up empty handed

well since it takes 9 months on average to localize, I'm assuming around late september/early october. MAYBE november.

The could localize in a month if they really wanted to...Square-Enix has money and resources beyond comprehension :)

If you pre-order it at Game Stop they'll call you the day it comes in. Muwhaahaha....

[quote name='SL4IN']well since it takes 9 months on average to localize, I'm assuming around late september/early october. MAYBE november.[/QUOTE]

9 months? It took them a month or 2 to release release FF3. The Japanese version of Dragon Qest 4 DS has a 90% English translation. Square is capable to doing a translation in a short time. The delay is so they can release it around the holiday

[quote name='62t']9 months? It took them a month or 2 to release release FF3. The Japanese version of Dragon Qest 4 DS has a 90% English translation. Square is capable to doing a translation in a short time. The delay is so they can release it around the holiday[/quote]yeah ff3 was less than 3 months.

May take awhile, though If you got a PSone/PS2/PS3, you could get it with chrono trigger for only $20 at amazon. Its a compilation on the PSone

[quote name='darkclawsofchaos']May take awhile, though If you got a PSone/PS2/PS3, you could get it with chrono trigger for only $20 at amazon. Its a compilation on the PSone[/QUOTE]

You could do that if you want to play a crap version. I have FF: Chronicles. Some of the worst load times I've ever seen in a game. Chrono Trigger can take an average of 10 seconds to load into AND out of battle (60 seconds is the record for me. I was ready to turn it off cause I thought it crashed) Loading the menu takes 5 seconds going into and out. Considering this is an RPG you tend to use the menu a lot, and say you accidently exit the menu when you still had something to get. There's another 10 seconds of loading. It's especially insulting when you consider the fact that it's little more than a ROM with an SNES emulator, This was an almost 8 year old game at this point and there was no excuse for load times this bad. FF isn't AS bad, but it's still pretty bad. You're better off waiting for the DS version or if you just want to play any version, the GBA version.

SE's US operations range from superb to pure shit. It's really hit or miss. I haven't seen a company of their magnitude with such a wide range. This COULD HAVE come out at the same time as the Japanese release. I was looking forward to this title, but I completely forgot about it until posting here because SE does too much jacking around.

[quote name='chris100185']You could do that if you want to play a crap version. I have FF: Chronicles. Some of the worst load times I've ever seen in a game. Chrono Trigger can take an average of 10 seconds to load into AND out of battle (60 seconds is the record for me. I was ready to turn it off cause I thought it crashed) Loading the menu takes 5 seconds going into and out. Considering this is an RPG you tend to use the menu a lot, and say you accidently exit the menu when you still had something to get. There's another 10 seconds of loading. It's especially insulting when you consider the fact that it's little more than a ROM with an SNES emulator, This was an almost 8 year old game at this point and there was no excuse for load times this bad. FF isn't AS bad, but it's still pretty bad. You're better off waiting for the DS version or if you just want to play any version, the GBA version.[/quote]

Amen! I couldn't have said it any better. I was so excited to have the PS versions, but played for about 15 minutes of each in total agony before ejecting the discs and selling that joke of a compilation.

Is FF:C as slow on a PS3? Would it reduce the loading times?
I was interested in getting it, but this talk of shitty loading times concerns me...

[quote name='darkclawsofchaos']May take awhile, though If you got a PSone/PS2/PS3, you could get it with chrono trigger for only $20 at amazon. Its a compilation on the PSone[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind that the DS game is a full 3D remake like FFIII DS.
The version in FF: Chronicles is the original SNES game.

[quote name='chris100185']You're better off waiting for the DS version or if you just want to play any version, the GBA version.[/QUOTE]
Exactly - the GBA version shouldn't be too hard to find or, at this point, much more than $20.

[quote name='Gameboy415']Keep in mind that the DS game is a full 3D remake like FFIII DS.
The version in FF: Chronicles is the original SNES game.[/QUOTE]
So what, exactly, is gained by remaking the game in 3D? I'm not very familiar with the original (beyond knowing I've got the GBA port somewhere in my backlog of games to play), so why would I want to play the DS version instead of the one I've already got?

I believe they've given it some snazzy cutscenes and a full graphical overhaul. I thought that the GBA remake was great and honestly I don't think the new 3D looks very good, so I'm gonna take a pass on this one. As I've said in several threads before this, FFIV is one of the all-time great games in my book and deserves a REAL remake on the PS3 with a fully orchestral soundtrack and wet dream-inducing graphics. I don't think it's in the cards, but if they want my money for yet another version of this game, that's what it's gonna take. Until then I will hunt for the pink tail on my SNES cart and hope that the battery doesn't fail. 16 years and it's still going.

[quote name='freakyzeeky']Is FF:C as slow on a PS3? Would it reduce the loading times?
I was interested in getting it, but this talk of shitty loading times concerns me...[/QUOTE]

Well the PS2 load time boost didn't do much, so I wouldn't see why the PS3 one would be much better.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']So what, exactly, is gained by remaking the game in 3D? I'm not very familiar with the original (beyond knowing I've got the GBA port somewhere in my backlog of games to play), so why would I want to play the DS version instead of the one I've already got?[/QUOTE]

Well the original FF IV came out in 1992 I believe, when were still wowed by how cool Mode 7 made everything look. That and according to the director a lot of the story was cut (60% was the number he gave I believe) Apparently a sizable chunk of this was restored for the DS version.

bread's done
Back