When is the Napoleon Dynamite DVD drop in price coming, and where?

JoeySweredoski

CAG Veteran
I saw this in theaters some time back and loved it. I'm really looking forward to owning it. Thing is, money is tight, and it's been $20 everywhere I've looked. Well, my cheapass just isn't going to stand (or sit rather) for that.

Does anyone know if/when/where the price is going to drop? I'm not expecting the digits to come crashing down or anything, but $5 off someplace would inspire a purchase.

Anyone here have any leads on a cut in price?

It might also show up in a 2 for 20 (new) or 9.99 sale at Target or Best Buy during the summer. I was surprised (and peeved) to see that Old School, even though it was a well received movie, was in the 2 for 20 sales 6 months after release.

That long of a time for a price drop? Really? Whoah, I was expecting it to drop to $15 someplace as a individual item someplace within the month. Hrm.

Well...I can wait. I'll just save up for the Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas Critereon Edition in the meanwhile. I loves me some Hunter S Thompson mayhem :twisted: .

Keep an eye on used rental stores - some of them within a month sell off the multiple copies of the hot new releases within a decent price. One rental close to me sells most new titles at $12.99 a month after their inital release.

If you don't want to pick it up used then the only time I see it having a price drop is in a few months and still, it will be only a part of some 2 for 30 or 2 for 20/25 deal. I don't see it going down individually for some time.

they may do like they did with garden state seeing how its the same people and keep it high. Garden State has been out a while and not one deal except for mtv but i dont really trust them.

you got a couple of months in the least. Blockbuster normally takes a good two months before it puts a movie in their PP; longer if it is renting well.

I am pretty sure Napoleon Dynamite came out the week after Garden State, so i think those release dates are off... but neither of these great movies were cheap on their release date. Both were 19.99 the week they were released, which is why i didnt purchase them.

Really, its quite absurd that i'll pay 17.99 for a new movie, but not 19.99. I mean, its only two dollars. but i guess its the point. 19.99 is a lot for a DVD, just like i wont pay more then 9.99 for a CD. Just on principle.

[quote name='sman113']I am pretty sure Napoleon Dynamite came out the week after Garden State, so i think those release dates are off... but neither of these great movies were cheap on their release date. Both were 19.99 the week they were released, which is why i didnt purchase them.

Really, its quite absurd that i'll pay 17.99 for a new movie, but not 19.99. I mean, its only two dollars. but i guess its the point. 19.99 is a lot for a DVD, just like i wont pay more then 9.99 for a CD. Just on principle.[/quote]

Actually the release dates are right, and I'm pretty sure CC or somebody like that had Garden State for 17.99 the week of release, not sure about Napoleon Dynamite though.

I guess I'd suggest some place like Sam's Club or Costco where DVDs are about $18 or so.

Edit: Actually, now that I recall Napoleon Dynamite was like $16 at BB the week it came out I think.

[quote name='GameDude']The best time to buy DVD's is usually the week of release...or like 3 years after release.[/quote]

The times, they are a changin'. It used to take a long time for drops, but lately they have taken just a few months.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']Actually the release dates are right, and I'm pretty sure CC or somebody like that had Garden State for 17.99 the week of release, not sure about Napoleon Dynamite though.

I guess I'd suggest some place like Sam's Club or Costco where DVDs are about $18 or so.

Edit: Actually, now that I recall Napoleon Dynamite was like $16 at BB the week it came out I think.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure you're wrong. Napoleon Dyanmite and Garden State were both $19.99 from the day of release at Circuit City, Best Buy, and Target, the three places where you'd likely get a deal on a new release. If you buy both, though, you get a $5 MIR. It'll take a while of waiting before the price drops, though. I noticed the same thing with Eternal Sunshine - there were no deals to be found when it was released. I actually ordered that yesterday from Amazon for $13.99, even though it's $19.99 at every B&M store.

Edit: DVDSoon.com has Napoleon Dynamite for $17.03 with free shipping and no tax. That's the best price you can get now, I think. Even at Sams/Costco, it's $18.83 + tax.

[quote name='alongx'][quote name='Duo_Maxwell']Actually the release dates are right, and I'm pretty sure CC or somebody like that had Garden State for 17.99 the week of release, not sure about Napoleon Dynamite though.

Edit: Actually, now that I recall Napoleon Dynamite was like $16 at BB the week it came out I think.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure you're wrong. Napoleon Dyanmite and Garden State were both $19.99 from the day of release at Circuit City, Best Buy, and Target, the three places where you'd likely get a deal on a new release. If you buy both, though, you get a $5 MIR. It'll take a while of waiting before the price drops, though. I noticed the same thing with Eternal Sunshine - there were no deals to be found when it was released. I actually ordered that yesterday from Amazon for $13.99, even though it's $19.99 at every B&M store.

Edit: DVDSoon.com has Napoleon Dynamite for $17.03 with free shipping and no tax. That's the best price you can get now, I think. Even at Sams/Costco, it's $18.83 + tax.[/quote]

http://cheapassgamer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42632&highlight=napoleon+dynamite

I don't wanna seem like an ass, but unless those prices were wrong, I'd be right and maybe someone can back me up on CC having Garden State for 17.99, but I think that's right too.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell'][quote name='alongx'][quote name='Duo_Maxwell']Actually the release dates are right, and I'm pretty sure CC or somebody like that had Garden State for 17.99 the week of release, not sure about Napoleon Dynamite though.

Edit: DVDSoon.com has Napoleon Dynamite for $17.03 with free shipping and no tax. That's the best price you can get now, I think. Even at Sams/Costco, it's $18.83 + tax.[/quote]

http://cheapassgamer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42632&highlight=napoleon+dynamite

I don't wanna seem like an ass, but unless those prices were wrong, I'd be right and maybe someone can back me up on CC having Garden State for 17.99, but I think that's right too.[/quote]

I believe you are correct about the CC price, although, of course, they charge tax, which hurts it versus an online retailer that doesn't. I did the MTV deal, and I was quite pleased to receive both the movie and the CD in a timely manner, tax free, and free shipping thanks to some other filler in my cart.

DVDSoon is a Canadian site, and the case may vary slightly from the US release, in case that matters to anyone. I'm not stating it will differ, I'm stating it may differ. I have ordered from them before and had no problems.

The version of Eternal Sunshine that Amazon sells for $13.99 is the original DVD release. I have seen this for $10 in stores on occasion. The 2-disc Special Ed. that was just released is $19.59, and if you've waited this long, you may as well get the 2-disc.

this week at costco they are taking 5 dollars off napolean dynamite and a few other dvd's as well so the total comes out to be 13 something

There's always Deep Discount's 20% off sale, though they only occur twice a year (just before Thanksgiving, and around the start of summer).

The best deals for new movies are always in the first week.

Napoleon Dynamite was indeed $15.99 at Best Buy week one.

Garden State was $17.99 at CC week one (or 2 for $22 when you bought it in conjunction with the soundtrack).

I'm still pissed no one had Shaun of the Dead on sale the first week (or since for that matter).

AND if you watch Napoleon Dynamite don't forget to watch through the credits. it is too funny and almost everyone skips through it.

It might be a while, this movie seems to be selling quite well. Everywhere that sells it around me is pretty much sold out. I'm glad I got mine release day for $15.99 at BB. But really, its worth $20!

[
Napoleon Dynamite was indeed $15.99 at Best Buy week one.

This is indeed true. Unfortunately, for myself and most others living in the Midwest, the worst snowstorm in years occured on release day, and roads were not drivable until the Sunday it went off sale. Seems the universe is averse to us getting Napoleon Dynamite cheap here.

[quote name='rebenns']Napoleon Dynamite was indeed $15.99 at Best Buy week one.[/quote]

True, unfortunately the Best Buy near my house was sold out, so I gave in and bought it for $20. Definitely worth it.

On Hollywood video's site Napoleon Dynamite should be going on sale previously viewed on the 23rd of this month. It would be able to be had for cheaper, especially if you do 3 for 30 deal.

I went to Blockbuster yesterday and came back with a nice collection: Anchorman, Garden State, Collateral, and Spiderman 2, all for 40 bucks (2 for 20 used). I also noticed Bourne Supremacy and Harry Potter 3 there, but I didnt check for Napoleon Dynamite, as I already have it. In any case, Blockbusters should be stocking used copies already. If they havent, it should be very soon.

me & mrs cereal were at hollywood video yesterday, and they had napoleon dynamite in their 3 for 25 stack..

hmm, I dunno, I watched this movie one night after watching Harold and Kumar goes to White Castle. I loved harold and kumar, mad funny, but I didn't really like Napoleon. I feel like even if I watched Napoleon first I wouldn't really have liked it much. It has its moments but it just wasn't too good.

bread's done
Back