When shall we see a deal for PS3s under the 299$ mark?

publicsd

CAGiversary!
Hi fellow CAGers,

Does anybody know when we'll see some deals happen in retail stores for PS3 consoles?

It's been 2-3 weeks now that they're advertising deals for the Xbox 360 pro (Holiday bundle + 2 other games), but I've seen nothing regarding the PS3, like a free bundled extra controller, or free games, or just a special price drop.

Any ideas when such deals might come up?

I don't think we'll see anything till the summer. Sony is still losing money on each console sold, and the sales are quite good since the release of the Slim so there's no urgent rush to lower the price/create bundles. Stores like RCSS sometimes have tax-free weekends which saves you about $45 on the price, and once in a while BB/FS have '$10 of $100-$299' coupons that knocks the price down a bit.

[quote name='game_fanatic']there's no urgent rush to lower the price/create bundles[/QUOTE]

How would you explain the two bundles being released for Europe? (Heavy Rain and GOW3 Bundles.) Personally I am trying to find a bundle myself, I'm sorta kicking myself from not buying a ps3 during boxing week.

[quote name='game_fanatic']I don't think we'll see anything till the summer. Sony is still losing money on each console sold, and the sales are quite good since the release of the Slim so there's no urgent rush to lower the price/create bundles. Stores like RCSS sometimes have tax-free weekends which saves you about $45 on the price, and once in a while BB/FS have '$10 of $100-$299' coupons that knocks the price down a bit.[/QUOTE]

RCSS has the $25 off $250 coupon going this week. Also, if you happen to be friends with a RCSS employee there is a 10% staff discount ;)

I don't know about those bundles in Europe, but if it would come to Canada in the near future I would for sure sleep in my car outside a FS to grab one on 1st day.

Anyway, I was more thinking about possible deals that would occur just before or during "spring break" (which is in what, 2-3 weeks here in Quebec?), deals that big players like FS, BB and Wal-Mart would push in without any involvement from Sony. Probably no chance to see a price drop, but a bundle package would be nice.

Does anybody remember something like that happened last year? Or am I postponing my purchase for nothing? :)

[quote name='Guns McNasty']How would you explain the two bundles being released for Europe? (Heavy Rain and GOW3 Bundles.) Personally I am trying to find a bundle myself, I'm sorta kicking myself from not buying a ps3 during boxing week.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure you're referring to these bundles, which are approximately $490USD after conversion, according to the article. I'm not an expert on currency conversion and regional pricing and whatnot, but it would seem Sony has much more wiggle room in Europe/UK in terms of pricing than they do in North America, hence the impending bundles.

Like I said, there's no urgent rush for Sony to create these bundles here in N.A. As CalMeJunior has posted, there's going to be a shortage of PS3 units for the next while, and there's no point in creating bundles/dropping the price when you're selling out as is. Bundles are inevitable, but only when Sony starts to see a serious slowdown.

I bought it at zellers today but it wasn't 290 :( it was 300! oh well if you guys find a deal I can just buy the cheaper one transfer the data via lan and return my new slim.

[quote name='Naylord']I bought it at zellers today but it wasn't 290 :( it was 300! oh well if you guys find a deal I can just buy the cheaper one transfer the data via lan and return my new slim.[/QUOTE]

Saving 10$ isn't worth all that hassle, IMHO.

Again this week, no deal worth running naked to the nearest store. Hope we'll be luckier in the next 2 weeks. I wouldn't mind having a deal that would offer a discounted extra controller when you buy a PS3 at the regular price.

This week at FS: 5 bundled games with a 299$ Xbox I believe. WOULD YOU MIND DOING THE SAME FOR A PS3, PLEASE?!?!?

I highly doubt there will be a retail drop anytime soon. I'd guess we'll be lucky to get one this year.

With the low supply (there's shortages) vs the high demand it's just not going to happen.

As for deals I'd guess Black Friday.

[quote name='publicsd']Saving 10$ isn't worth all that hassle, IMHO.

Again this week, no deal worth running naked to the nearest store. Hope we'll be luckier in the next 2 weeks. I wouldn't mind having a deal that would offer a discounted extra controller when you buy a PS3 at the regular price.

This week at FS: 5 bundled games with a 299$ Xbox I believe. WOULD YOU MIND DOING THE SAME FOR A PS3, PLEASE?!?!?[/QUOTE]

PS3 > 360. That's why no dice. & I'm pretty sure that the 360 is just an elite which they've been trying to get rid of for months now.

All i can say is, any person looking to buy this thing, buy it NOW. You will NOT regret it. 360 is awesome too, but i can safely say PS3 ROCKS 360!

I remember getting a 250gb slim PS3 from bestbuy.ca with RnC Crack in Time, Uncharted DF, and LBP GotY edition for $300 on boxing day. Sure it wasnt under $299 but a 250gb alone costs $350, not to mention the games would cost more than $100 on their own.

[quote name='CoachHines']I remember getting a 250gb slim PS3 from bestbuy.ca with RnC Crack in Time, Uncharted DF, and LBP GotY edition for $300 on boxing day. Sure it wasnt under $299 but a 250gb alone costs $350, not to mention the games would cost more than $100 on their own.[/QUOTE]

That's the kind of thing I was referring to. If they can offer that much AND chop the price, I'm sure they could at least bundle a few games once in a while to make our purchase more worthy.

Anyway, I got tired of waiting and bought a 120gb edition 2-3 weeks ago. I silently told the salesman to got screw himself with the accessories he wanted to sell me at full price and traded a few old games for FFXIII. I've been playing since then and don't regret it.

Only deal I've seen so far for an extra controller is a 10$ off at Zellers. I guess in that case buying a combo pack Drake's Fortune would be still more profitable.

That PS3's a wonder of a machine.

bread's done
Back