When will Sony start producing the PS3?

fire17

CAGiversary!
http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7004619683

I can't believe Sony has not started producing the PS3 yet. Look at Microsoft they had some of the most experienced manufacturing companies running their 360 production lines and they had major problems, and took months to get up to full speed. I find it hard to believe that Sony can get there production lines up to full speed in the time left before launch. I will buy the first PS3 I see I have a funny feeling that it will be next summer.

man some of you haters will bash any thing that happens with the ps3 if its good or bad,all i know is that sony is on time and everything is running smoothly you know they have been in the game bizz for a long time they know what they are doing.

[quote name='solid snake']all i know is that sony is on time and everything is running smoothly[/quote]

I'm not pro- or anti- PS3, but where did you see that? Just wondering how you know...

[quote name='solid snake'] they know what they are doing.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

That's a good one!

I would like some proof, any proof that the people at Sony have any idea what they are doing!

I think it was on ign that they had talked to some one at sony,and they said the way things are going now they should be able to get about 2million out by christmas time that numbers world wide not just america,so they must be ontrack they arent just gonna sit ther and say hey guys you know that thing we call ps3 are we really gonna make it?

if it's truly not in production... expect SUPER limited availability..... such as large chains getting less than 10 in at launch...

[quote name='neudog']IMHO they should be doing it right now. That way at launch they have plenty to give out.[/QUOTE]

You really meant collecting dust on store shelves, right?

I kid, I kid. All you fanboys can calm down. I was joking.

On a more serious note, I would tend to think that Sony would be manufacturing them as we speak in case of any unforeseen problems in the process and also to make sure they don't run into a shortage.

[quote name='solid snake']I think it was on ign that they had talked to some one at sony,and they said the way things are going now they should be able to get about 2million out by christmas time that numbers world wide not just america,so they must be ontrack they arent just gonna sit ther and say hey guys you know that thing we call ps3 are we really gonna make it?[/QUOTE]

Two million is a terrible number. The Wii is supposed to have 4 million and maybe 6 million by 2007. I think the 6 million was a misspoken statement, but still 4 million is still twise the number of PS3s.

Not a big deal.

It is better to get the production line thoroughly debugged than discover you've been cranking out tens of thousands of bad machines for a month. THat is just the hard reality of a major high tech problem.

Keep in mind that most of Microsoft's problem were in supply, not in production. The amount of GDDR3 RAM in the Xbox 360 was doubled from 256MB to 512MB fairly late in the process. It meant Infineon, which had the only GDDR3 plant then operating on the whole planet, had to double their delieries to Microsoft's contractor or the production would be cut in half.

Infineon was already making as much as they could, so guess what happened?

So long as Sony can get the production line running smoothly with minimal defect rates and their chip partners can make delivery, Sony will run shifts around the clock to maximize output. A year later they'll probably be able to cut back to two shifts, but they'll do what is needed to get as many machines out the door as possible. A lot is riding on building the PS3 installed base rapidly. Not only the game platform but also the Blu-Ray platform.

[quote name='epobirs']Not a big deal.

It is better to get the production line thoroughly debugged than discover you've been cranking out tens of thousands of bad machines for a month. THat is just the hard reality of a major high tech problem.[/quote]

Agreed. The last thing that Sony needs is repeats of its previous three consoles (and the 360 launch) with there being a major flaw within the PS3. Still, the shortages at this point are going to be pretty severe unless they get these things rolling out in production at full steam before September.

I have a feeling that the reason they have not started production is that the Blue-ray drives are not available yet.

[quote name='fire17']I have a feeling that the reason they have not started production is that the Blue-ray drives are not available yet.[/quote]
Blu Ray drives shouldn't be a problem since they have Blu Ray Players on the market. My guess is that it's the Cell or the RSX.

[quote name='David85']:lol:

That's a good one!

I would like some proof, any proof that the people at Sony have any idea what they are doing![/quote]

Seeing how the Playstation and Playstation 2 have both sold over 100 million units each. I would say they know what they are doing.

[quote name='m0dem']Seeing how the Playstation and Playstation 2 have both sold over 100 million units each. I would say they know what they are doing.[/QUOTE]

...and yet they still haven't figured out how to properly launch a new system.

Does it really matter? Do we need to constantly gripe that Sony hasn't started production on something even when we're not affected by it? The release date isn't going to change and it's not like Sony's hardware's going to be that much more reliable if they start earlier. It'll probably be just as broken as the 360 was when it came out because it's Sony. Waste of a thread.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']...and yet they still haven't figured out how to properly launch a new system.[/QUOTE]

Bingo. Just because their past systems have done somehting right it doesn't mean Sony has a clue now what they are doing.

[quote name='David85']Bingo. Just because their past systems have done somehting right it doesn't mean Sony has a clue now what they are doing.[/QUOTE]

Two minutes prior to this post, in reference to production problems Nintendo is facing with the Wii remote:

[quote name='David85']All companies have issues before launches, but Nintendo better get their asses moving. And it seems that the Oct. 2 date is not even close to happening.[/QUOTE]

My, that was a different song we were singing, wasn't it?

Umm No. I said Nintendo better get their asses moving. I just know if your PS3 has an issues Sony most likely will go "Buy a new one" when Nintendo will fix it for free. All companies do have issues before launch, Sony's are just worse than the others.

So you're still making two peculiar (and possibly contradictory) claims: all companies have issues with their consoles, and Sony sucks because they have issues with their consoles.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']...and yet they still haven't figured out how to properly launch a new system.[/QUOTE]
I disagree. I think the PSP launch was done very well. Yes, there was the whole dead pixel ordeal, but Sony had flooded the market with PSP's which, in turn made exchanging the PSP for another one not that hard to do since the store would most likely still have some in stock for you to exchange it with.

Also not to mention the amount of games that were there at launch.

The manufacturing of the 360 started 69 days prior to launch - mid Sept.
By year's end Microsoft had sold 1.5 million units; including 900,000 in North America, 500,000 in Europe, and 100,000 in Japan.

Let's assume Sony can produce at least this many consoles. Of 1.5 million, how many do you think Sony will designate to Japan? I bet it will be a lot more than the 100,000 that MS did. There will definitely be a shortage here in the States and Europe. I would highly recommend buying one to ebay and picking up another console early spring.

well i'd wait til they announce the start of the next generation of gaming before they start production, since it officially doesn't start until Sony says it starts.

This blue laser shortage is interesting. I wonder if some of the stand alone Blue Ray drives are going to be delayed this year for the PS3, or if we'll see upcoming Blu Ray and HD DVD players selling for a higher price point then expected.

[quote name='whoknows']I disagree. I think the PSP launch was done very well. Yes, there was the whole dead pixel ordeal, but Sony had flooded the market with PSP's which, in turn made exchanging the PSP for another one not that hard to do since the store would most likely still have some in stock for you to exchange it with.

Also not to mention the amount of games that were there at launch.[/QUOTE]

I will easily concede that point to you. The PSP launch was actually done pretty well, HOWEVER, you have to remember it was a spring launch which are usually easier to do than pre-christmas launches.

bread's done
Back