When you have so many games.....

Do you worry about playing all of them with the time you have left in your life? I'm even afraid to calculate whether or not it's mathematically possible to get at least 90% completion in all my games in my lifetime. It's gotten so bad that I don't see myself touching any of my RPGs until I'm in my 60's. This is ridiculous. Bah.

Me and a friend of mine have long discussed this matter. We decided that its ok to keep buying RPGs, and we will play them when we have a mid life crisis, and then after we retire.... instead of crossword puzzles and golf when im 67 ill be getting around to phantom brave

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']I haven't quite gotten to that point, but it's my lifes dream.[/quote]

Yeah, it's not quite that bad on my end either...

I know exactly what you mean.

My problem is getting in the mood. Although my interest in games never flags I will go for weeks at a time without turning on any of my systems. I have the same problem with movies and TV shows. I have DVDs I bought over a year ago that I just haven't gotten around to watching.

I like having a huge backlog, it allows me to wait to buy new stuff until it gets cheap. Sure I may end up spending more then I normally would on games by getting in on all these good deal, but in the long run I think it balances out because I save money not buying stuff on release, especially consoles. The only negative is that I rarely have the time to play things more then once. I'd really love to play Earthbound, Secret of Mana, FFVII, and FFVIII again, but I just have too many unplayed games to go through.

Thanks for hearing my out, I truly appriciate it. I'm just in my late 20's but I feel like I'm in a mid-life gaming crisis. Not that my interests in games has been waning. It's never been better in fact. Though a site like cheapassgamer.com has made me a collecting junkie, where I think I'm collecting more than I'm playing.

[quote name='normalmode']Do you worry about playing all of them with the time you have left in your life? I'm even afraid to calculate whether or not it's mathematically possible to get at least 90% completion in all my games in my lifetime. It's gotten so bad that I don't see myself touching any of my RPGs until I'm in my 60's. This is ridiculous. Bah.[/quote]

At best, I only get one hour of gameplay in a night. Given the number of cheap games I've purchased over the last 6 months (thanks CAG!), I'll never get to play a large number of them at this rate! Even if I stopped buying games for the rest of my life, I think I'll have enough unplayed items to last me a lifetime (I still haven't completed a number of NES games that I purchased 15 years ago!).

I have too many games! I can never beat one before the next one comes up. The TRU was also a major problem. I haven't even touched half of the game I got from them yet.

[quote name='normalmode']Thanks for hearing my out, I truly appriciate it. I'm just in my late 20's but I feel like I'm in a mid-life gaming crisis. Not that my interests in games has been waning. It's never been better in fact. Though a site like cheapassgamer.com has made me a collecting junkie, where I think I'm collecting more than I'm playing.[/quote]

I couldn't agree more. I'm more enthralled with the concept of buying games at bargain prices to make sure I can play them later instead of them disappearing off the market than time spent actually playing games.

[quote name='epobirs']I know exactly what you mean.

My problem is getting in the mood. Although my interest in games never flags I will go for weeks at a time without turning on any of my systems. I have the same problem with movies and TV shows. I have DVDs I bought over a year ago that I just haven't gotten around to watching.[/quote]

That summed me up almost to a t.

[quote name='cmdryuk'][quote name='normalmode']Thanks for hearing my out, I truly appriciate it. I'm just in my late 20's but I feel like I'm in a mid-life gaming crisis. Not that my interests in games has been waning. It's never been better in fact. Though a site like cheapassgamer.com has made me a collecting junkie, where I think I'm collecting more than I'm playing.[/quote]

I couldn't agree more. I'm more enthralled with the concept of buying games at bargain prices to make sure I can play them later instead of them disappearing off the market than time spent actually playing games.[/quote]

My buying code is that if i find it on sale or clearance that I should pick it up because I know that at a later date I won't be able to find it, either at all or at that price. The same goes for games that are hard to find or rare because, though the price might be a little higher than what I would normally like to pay for a used or new, I understand that I most likely won't be able to find it again or at a later date or at a cheaper price. Before adopting this code of mine, I lost on a good many deals and on a good many rare games that I wanted.

I have a couple dozen unplayed games, but I'm not concerned at all because if I ever feel the urge to play a new game, I can choose from all the cheap games I've acquired rather than run to the store and pay full price for something that I hope is good. Whenever I see that I'll never play a particular game, I'll put it up for trade or sale on this site, and there's always someone who's interested. I know I'll never get to all of the games I own, but I think it's better to have too many games than not enough.

With around 550 games in my collection (it's linked in my sig), I feel ya. I usually play games for a few hours late at night a few times a week after my gf goes to sleep. Of course, playing games is basically what I do for a living, so I spend other time playing that I don't count.

What I've been doing is trying to play select games for a few hours each, to get a good feel for them. I've also been trying to play games that take about 10 hours to beat (Ratchet/Clank 2), rather than long-ass tactical RPGs -- even though I'm hooked on that genre.

I'm pondering setting up a list that I follow (like my NetFlix queue), but I don't know if I could stick to it -- both because I keep getting new games and because I may not be into the next one on my list when it's time to play it.

I think it's good to have a deep game collection, much like it's good to have a deep CD collection. You never know when you'll want to bust something out.

I don't have any sort of massive backlog, but I do try to stick with a game once I start it until I complete it. (Because I know that once I put a game down I'm not very likely to go back to it.) I'll usually be working on 2-3 games at one time at most. I also don't like to open a new game until I'm ready to seriously dig into it.

One way I determine if a game is really good is if I devote 100% of my play time to it until it's done. (I just did that with The Suffering last week - the sound in that game is incredible.)

Yeah, again appriciate everyone's responses. It actually makes me feel better.

This might sound silly, but when I have forgotten the story of a good game (usually due to not playing it for several years) I feel compelled to play it again. It's like I never played it to begin with. It's usually an RPG. To help me out (and this sound ridiculously cliche) I'm actually creating a blog with very brief accounts and reviews for all the games I've completed to the best of my abilities (usually 90% unlocked) since 1997 (the year I slowed down on my hedonistic college lifestyle and got back into gaming). While I had a decent collection of completed games long before 1997, this has given me another excuse to replay all those games too.

I have tons of games too. Many still unopened just like everyone here. My solution? Play what you want when you can. If time doesn't allow for deep involvement, play a quick shooter, or arcade type game.

Like many of you, I plan to play lots in retirement too. Plus, when we get around to starting our own families, entertainment is already set, sons and daughters make for great player 2 and player 3's. Plus you can leave your collection for your children. I will.

Edit: reached my 100th post; took almost 6 months. :D

I'm in a situation where I don't have time to finish most of the games I buy, so i'm extra careful with my purchasing habits. Even at the Circuit City sale, I thought about what games I wanted to get rather than "let me pick up every game on the list!". I'm specifically careful with RPGs, I just bought Phantom Brave so chances are that will be it till next year. I want games like Star Ocean, SMT:Nocturne, and Baten Kaitos, but i'd rather beat one game than get 20% through ten (looks at Xenosaga, Kingdom Hearts, Tactics Ogre, Skies of Arcadia, and almost every PSX RPG).

And like Mospeada, I play a lot of arcade type games. Most of my games involve lightguns, dancemats, or pattern recognition. When people complain about a game being too short, I think they're out of their minds.

I have the same problem :whistle2:( i just got into cag about 3 months ago, and i have way to many games i could play for an entire year, but i agree with most people, its like a cd collection, u need somthing to take out when ur bored and not regret that u dont ahve it

I've got too many games that I've made a choice to only own an xbox. I never got a psone and have yet to get a PS2. I think I will wait for PS3 and then pick up the PS2 games I missed. I gave up on PC games also. I'll get a cube when they are even more cheap then they are now. I will not be getting any next gen system at launch. I'm not paying 50 bucks for some launch games that may blow.

I guess it's a good problem to have, but I really hate how my game playing backlog is filled up! From the CC bonanza (early July) until now, I've picked up about 50 games. That total doesn't include the 15-16 preorders I've got coming from Gamerush. Right now I'm playing 4 games: Burnout 3, Fable, Ghosthunter, and Hot Shots Fore. Of course, I'll have to make more room this week though, as Def Jam NY and Tiger Woods '05 are both coming out, not to mention XMEN legends and Katamari Damashi and possibly Monster Hunter as well! I know I'll never finish all the games I have, but I still hang on to 90% of them because I know that as soon as I start selling them or trading them in, I'll get the itch to play them.

I guess I just need to number them all and draw a couple out of a hat at a time and play those games until I either finish them or am sick of them. At least then I could start paring down the mountain of games I've got to finish. Maybe nothing good will come out from after Christmas until, like, August of next year so I can get caught up a little :roll:

If I get into a game, odds are I will finish it. Its just I buy about 8 games until I find one that I can really get into. During this summer, I bought a shitload of games, but I only got into 2, True Crime and Tales of Symphonia. I played the hell out of them, and made it a little bit through all of the rest.

bread's done
Back