Where are the Greatest Hits???

Thunderscope

CAGiversary!
PS3 has been out for around a year and a half and there is still no greatest hits collection! Resistance is still $60! Anyone know if Sony is planning on dropping the price on older titles and repackaging them in new ugly colors anytime soon?

I started a similar thread a few weeks ago when Japan announced its budget line. The general consensus was sometime after E3. Now that they've announced the MGS4 bundle, I'd say that would be a good time for them to get some extra sales with a greatest hits lineup.

Why drop Resistance's price when it still sells well at $60?

I agree it should drop, but like Xbox's Halo, why drop it until the day the sequel hits the streets.

Also as for the Greatest Hits, Sony always had two restrictions for a game to qualify for GH:
1) has to be out for a year before qualification
2) sales over 1 million

At least thats what their policy was with PS2, PSP, and PS1 titles.

[quote name='gamer4432']Also as for the Greatest Hits, Sony always had two restrictions for a game to qualify for GH:
1) has to be out for a year before qualification
2) sales over 1 million

At least thats what their policy was with PS2, PSP, and PS1 titles.[/QUOTE]Actually, you are VERY incorrect here:

1) Has to be out for 8 months to qualify
2) sales at 400k or above for PS1 (I think) and PS2 (for sure), and 250k or above for PSP. SCEA themselves flat out mentioned that qualifying number.

Anyway, as for the GH lineup, it will be announced at Gamer's Day around May (I'm not sure when it's in session, but I believe that's the time) or E3 08 (usually SCEA announces them at E3, or they did in the PSP case), and they'll come in August if my thinking is right (I say August because that's the usual time SCEA releases a new GH lineup throughout the years, although the PSP GH started in July 06 and the PS2 ones started in May 02).

You are right about Resistance. The game is still selling better than most SCEA games and it's still full price. When that's the case, SCEA won't bother dropping it until they release a sequel (or near it). Game development isn't cheap and when you have certain games under perform (like Lair, Genji, some PSP games for an example), money lost from development can come from Resistance doing so well.

Actually, you are both right (though mostly just MK).

When the greatest hits line first came out, it was one year and 150,000 copies. It then went up to 250,000 for the PS1. PS2 is 9 months and 400,000 copies. PSP is 9 months and 250,000 copies.

I remember seeing some GH boxarts, they have the yellow greatest hits sign on them. May be JPN only though.

BTW, Resistance sucks!

[quote name='RiCeBo1']I remember seeing some GH boxarts, they have the yellow greatest hits sign on them. May be JPN only though.

BTW, Resistance sucks![/QUOTE]Yellow is Japan.

I enjoy Resistance, but that's my opinion.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Actually, you are VERY incorrect here:

1) Has to be out for 8 months to qualify
2) sales at 400k or above for PS1 (I think) and PS2 (for sure), and 250k or above for PSP. SCEA themselves flat out mentioned that qualifying number.

Anyway, as for the GH lineup, it will be announced at Gamer's Day around May (I'm not sure when it's in session, but I believe that's the time) or E3 08 (usually SCEA announces them at E3, or they did in the PSP case), and they'll come in August if my thinking is right (I say August because that's the usual time SCEA releases a new GH lineup throughout the years, although the PSP GH started in July 06 and the PS2 ones started in May 02).

You are right about Resistance. The game is still selling better than most SCEA games and it's still full price. When that's the case, SCEA won't bother dropping it until they release a sequel (or near it). Game development isn't cheap and when you have certain games under perform (like Lair, Genji, some PSP games for an example), money lost from development can come from Resistance doing so well.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the clarification. Boy was I off :)

I don't even miss the lack of Greatest Hits games. With all the clearances lately like at CC and TRU, I have seen a bunch of games for under $20 and even some for under $10, which is better than the $29.99 Greatest Hits games would likely be.

Resistance needs to drop for the PS3 and launch games like Zelda need to drop for the Wii. I agree with Yoshi, the abundance of store clearances more than makes up for the lack of GH titles. Even if the game you really want doesn't go on clearance you can make your own "GH" pricing by flipping the cheap games at places like GR or GS and purchase the titles you really want on the cheap.

[quote name='Chitown021']Resistance needs to drop for the PS3 and launch games like Zelda need to drop for the Wii.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, Nintendo almost never drops the prices on their titles. It literally takes years for most, if they ever do. With the Wii still selling out, and Zelda one of the premiere titles on it to own, I wouldn't count on a drop on it for another year at the least.

A lot of games have been lowered to 20-30 but they won't do the GH thing yet because they are still making a lot of money off some games at 60, so just forget about it.

bread's done
Back