Where are the Wii's!

So Sony gets a bigger second shipment to stores (Best Buys, anyway) than Nintendo does...and they hit the floor before Thanksgiving, not after. Am I the only one who majorly raises an eyebrow toward Nintendo about that fact?

One of my local Costco stores sold Wii bundles this morning as well. They said it took less than an hour to sell out, I wonder if they they had them out in the open though?

Um... Nintendo didn't put out another shipment. If you noticed, ONLY GS/EBs got Wiis for today. Also notice that GS/EB ONLY did preorders for launch day. So, unless they made some perfect predictions on the amount to preorder, these are just extra systems that they kept back to boost Black Friday numbers. And I'm assuming by the low numbers of PS3s, those were also held back.

On a side note, a guy at Walmart said it would be 2 weeks until the next shipment of Wiis came in... you can take that with a grain of salt.

im afraid the PS3 is going to pull a 3DO. $600 is just to much for a game console, if it plays movies or not. Just my 2 cents.

Every retailer I talk with says they are "pestered" about the Wii much more than the PS3. The buzz for the Wii seems to be stronger and is fueling higher demand.

I had thought Nintendo shipped 3x as many Wii's as PS3's at launch and both systems sold out. Am I right?

Back at school people in the area are pissed at Sony due to the fact that the low launch numbers and the raucusness of the lines (even though the lines nearby were more than civil, although using steel drums for fire/heat and massive amounts of trash/stench didn't help any) to the point where they won't buy a PS3 this holiday season. They already heard countless times on the news that it will be hard to get and, coupled with a high price tag, it isn't worth the money. The Wii, on the other hand, is looking a whole lot better but the poor nature of Sony's launch is turning some parental heads the other way on the Wii as well, fearing the same exact problem.

Around at home parents are refusing to buy the PS3 since they've been doing additional research online. Apparently they are extremely wary about Sony and the way they have been handling system repairs from the PS1 and the PS2. Combine that with two local stores whose kiosk PS3s blew out only after 12 hours of non-continuous use...it's not a good sign for them. The Wii, on the other hand, is selling staggeringly well because they trust the Nintendo name more as far as quality and reliability is concerned, since console costs around here is a non-issue.

Interesting to see how two different areas are approaching consoles at the moment. I'd love to toss in local 360 impressions but the PS3 and Wii are on everyone's tongues while the 360 remains overlooked due to its availability.

Obviously, demand is significantly higher for the Wii. Its not some Nintendo conspiracy.

Actually, I think it kind of is. Listen to the latest "Hot Spot" from Gamespot. They seem to feel the same way as I do. They even use the term "short-shipped". Nintendo really changed their tune late in the game, if you will. (The pertinent stuff is well into the podcast.) And for what it's worth here in a Wii thread, Cheapy in CAGCast 53 feels that Sony thinks people are stupid and will fall for the hype factor. I happen to agree with him, but whether the companies are way off or not, what matters is that that's the strategy they seem to be playing, and that exacerbates the shortages.

Every retailer I talk with says they are "pestered" about the Wii much more than the PS3. The buzz for the Wii seems to be stronger and is fueling higher demand.

What that is is people feeling like they should have a good chance with the Wii, and giving up on the PS3 for the foreseeable future. Most people (but not me--harrumph!) thought it would be a relatively drama-free acquisition. They're waiting for the floodgates to open...which ain't happenin' anytime soon, let me tell ya.

I had thought Nintendo shipped 3x as many Wii's as PS3's at launch and both systems sold out. Am I right?

Yeah? And?? They both sold out because no feasible launch shipment is ever enough during the holidays. Also: eBay hoarding motherfuckers. Both companies could've easily sold 1,000,000 consoles within the first 12 hours of release if they wanted to/had the consoles to sell. I know that seems like it contradicts the 'conspiracy'/manufactured shortage angle, but happy faces for everyone does not equal extensive media coverage. They're looking at getting the non-early adopters off the proverbial fence.

This is a PR war between Sony, Nintendo, and let's not forget Microsoft. They all want their share of news, and any news is good news, right?

Gots a friend up in Sioux Falls, SD. He saw 2 Wiis in a Gamestop today.

Dunno if they'd still be there though, even though this was kinda towards the end of the day.

Yup, ad minimum is 12. I believe it was 20 for launch day and most stores had WAY more. Mine had 87 actually (Mishawaka/ South Bend, IN). Not sure what we got in for this. Too busy to check RSS today.

By the way, is there a rule or at least bit of online decorum that says that you must post a lament if you missed getting a console by one line spot or one minute? It seems like every other post I've read in these kinds of threads in the last week is submitted by someone with a 'Hard Luck' attribute rating of 99. Can't wait for the next batch, over-fresh this Sunday!

(Almost) never with the happy news!

[quote name='jollydwarf']By the way, is there a rule or at least bit of online decorum that says that you must post a lament if you missed getting a console by one line spot or one minute? It seems like every other post I've read in these kinds of threads in the last week is submitted by someone with a 'Hard Luck' attribute rating of 99. Can't wait for the next batch, over-fresh this Sunday!

(Almost) never with the happy news![/QUOTE]
You're not very jolly... can I sue you for false advertising?

bread's done
Back