Where can I find a Pelican ps2 to ps3 adapter?

The EB/GS sites don't have it. I need to try a couple more local stores but I hit a Toys R Us, Gamestop, CompUSA and Radio Shack (didn't really expect any of them to have it but I was near all of them) yesterday with no luck at all.

I've e-mailed Pelican to see what's up with it and if it's really discontinued. I'll post back their reply.
-G

I've been looking for one as well with no luck. I wouldn't mind a PM with details if you do find one, if its no problem.

Cheers.

[quote name='Zoglog']Anyone know if this lets the GH1 Controller work with Rock band?[/quote]
I asked CAGs a few weeks ago and received no replies :lol:

I did my own research and it works with the GH1 controller. I looked online at the usual places (best buy, circuit city, amazon, buy.com, ebgames/gamestop) and nobody had it in stock in store or online. I finally found a place that had one left and immediately bought it. I'm still looking for one more to use the 2nd player for the original Guitar Hero on my ps3.

EDIT: N/M what I wrote. I didn't realize you were asking if they work for the game Rock Band. I thought you were asking if the GH guitars work on the PS3 period. Whoops! :lol:

I know the Pelican adapter lets you use a GH1 guitar on PS3, but I don't think it's supported in Rock Band. You'd be able to play the PS2 GH games and maybe GH3 with the old guitar, but not Rock Band. Haven't tried it myself, but I've seen several reports that it doesn't work.

There's supposed to be a PS3 patch ready to go that would add support for GH3 guitars in Rock Band (and maybe older GH guitars with the adapter), but Activision wants compensation before allowing the patch to be released. Hopefully they'll work something out soon.

[quote name='tomwaits1']I know the Pelican adapter lets you use a GH1 guitar on PS3, but I don't think it's supported in Rock Band. You'd be able to play the PS2 GH games and maybe GH3 with the old guitar, but not Rock Band. Haven't tried it myself, but I've seen several reports that it doesn't work.

There's supposed to be a PS3 patch ready to go that would add support for GH3 guitars in Rock Band (and maybe older GH guitars with the adapter), but Activision wants compensation before allowing the patch to be released. Hopefully they'll work something out soon.[/quote]

makes sense, question: (and i know the patch isn't out yet) but wouldn't USB guitars i.e. the X-Plorer guitar work with rock band?

I really need (at least) one of these myself. I saw one a few weeks ago at CC, but since I didn't have a PS3 then, I didn't pick it up. I went on 12/26 and it was gone. I've checked all over online, 2 EBgames and 2 CC, and can't find it anywhere!

:(

I checked 3 Gamestops, Best Buy, Circuit City, Wal-Mart, K-Mart and a local game shop today and nothing. How could these have just disappeared and why would they stop making them.

:(
-G

I didn't know they stopped making them. Hm.

eBay might still have some although prices may be higher than they used to be if they're discontinued.

From what I gather, the adapter received a lot of bad reviews (PSM gave it a 2/10), bad responses, etc. because it still didn't really work with Guitar Hero II (like it advertises, even those who read the instructions, Main reason people bought the adapter for was GH II). That might be part of the reason they stopped making them maybe.

Anyway, I use to see the adapter a lot at Circuit City and GS. I haven't seen it in a while. Last time I remember seeing it was at a GS location, but I'm guessing they are sold out. It's too bad because I was going to buy one for my DDR pad.

I have the adapter and it works fine as long as you calibrate the guitar under settings in GH games. I got mine at Gamestop for $14.99, however as mentioned above, I have seen them only at Circuit City as of late.

[quote name='Halo05']I didn't know they stopped making them. Hm.

eBay might still have some although prices may be higher than they used to be if they're discontinued.[/quote]
I actually checked eBay and couldn't find any auctions or BINs for the Pelican Adapter. They had tons of generic PSX to USB adapters, but none of them had the PS button, which you need to use special controllers.

Edit: I found this website.
Anyone have any information about this website? Anyone use it before?

Link broken but based I saw their site too in my searching. I've never heard of them though. You could always dispute the charge if it doesn't end up being what they say it is. Just keep good records and such.
-G

Based on your location in your profile, I looked up the adapter based on its SKU at GS, and found the following stores might have it in stock, so try giving them a call:

Gamestop:
Wendover Place (F)
1218-P Bridford Parkway
Greensboro, NC 27407
(336)851-9335

The Streets at South
6910 FAYETTEVILLE ROAD
SPACE 2400
DURHAM, NC 27713
(919)544-4560

Hanes Mall
3320 Silas Creek Parkway
Suite HU-8836
Winston-Salem, NC 27103
(336)760-1480

Crescent Commons
2066 Kildair Farm Rd.
Cary, NC 27511
(919)851-0516

North Hills
4154 MAIN AT NORTH HILLS ST
STE 112
RALEIGH, NC 27609
(919)781-4855

Main Street Station
1045 E. Broad Street
Suite A-1
Fuquay Varina, NC 27526
(919)557-6761

EBGames:
Northgate Mall
1058 WEST CLUB BOULEVARD
SPACE 518
DURHAM, NC 27701
(919)416-0441

Wow I didn't realize this would go out of print so fast. Glad I bought my two, one at barnes and noble for $7 and one used at Gamestop for $3. They work great for the DDR pads. I also have the radioshack adapter because it works with rumble controllers (the Pelican does not support rumble).

[quote name='Purkeynator']Wow I didn't realize this would go out of print so fast. Glad I bought my two, one at barnes and noble for $7 and one used at Gamestop for $3. They work great for the DDR pads. I also have the radioshack adapter because it works with rumble controllers (the Pelican does not support rumble).[/quote]
Hmmm, I keep seeing a couple of these at the local GS and I keep procrastinating and not buying it, but I think I need to go and lock one up after work today.

EDIT: Oh yea, if there are any extras there does anyone want me to pick one up for them? I think they were $14.99 new. Probably would end up around $20 shipped to a CAG.

I got mine at Fry's a couple of months back for regular price of $15. Works great with my original GH game and controller. I just got GH3 game only, so gonna give a try tonight or tomorrow and see if it works. As far as I can tell from other forums, it should work.

[quote name='Oxygen']Based on your location in your profile, I looked up the adapter based on its SKU at GS, and found the following stores might have it in stock, so try giving them a call:[/quote]

is it possible to do a search for Oakland, CA?

[quote name='Shadowcuz']is it possible to do a search for Oakland, CA?[/quote]

Yeah you got it. Same thing applies - these are not guarantees. Calling first would be best. Based on zip code 94601:

Gamestop:
Rockridge Shopping C
5110 BROADWAY
STE A
OAKLAND, CA 94611
(510)653-4705

2309 Telegraph Avenue
BERKELEY, CA 94704
(510)486-2870

151 Powell Street
151 POWELL STREET
SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94102
(415)362-7601

Pleasant Hills Ctr-F
552 Contra Costa Blvd
Suite 50
Pleasant Hill, CA 94523
(925)609-8019

Hillsdale
417 HILLSDALE SHOPPING CTR
SPACE 2132
SAN MATEO, CA 94403
(650)286-1302

Hacienda Crossing-F
4920 Dublin Blvd.
Dublin, CA 94568
(925)875-0335

Shamrock Plaza
6851 AMADOR PLAZA RD
STE 102
DUBLIN, CA 94568
(925)556-0325

New Park Mall
2045 New Park Mall
Newark, CA 94560
(510)794-9033

Oxygen, Thanks! I appreciate the effort. I've checked the one you had listed in my city but haven't ventured outside of Greensboro yet. I am desperately seeking at least one of these though. I tried the 2 PS2 to USB adapters I've used for my arcade machine and both failed once I got into Virtua Fighter 5. They worked fine in the XMB though. Very depressing.
-G

No problem. For what it is worth, I bought a cheap no-name PS2 to USB adapter on eBay a long time ago to play DDR on my PC. Long story short, I hooked up a DualShock 2 controller to it, plugged it into my PS3, and tried to play against myself in Virtua Fighter 5. It worked well enough. I did not notice any lag, but I do not have any arcade sticks. I can try playing around with it more tonight. I looked on eBay and could not find an adapter similar to mine. I will keep looking though.

I work tom. I'll see if my cc has any of them left, if so I'll snag what ever we have and send them off to anyone who is looking for them.

See... That's got me wondering what the problem is with my adapters. I have 2 different ones. One is a Super Joy Box 2 that has 2 controller inputs to a single USB. This is what I use on my MAME PC and it works perfectly on the PC. The other is a PS2 and N64 to USB converter. I don't remember what brand. I do still have the box and driver disc and all that stuff though.

I got them all plugged up (After the PS3 was on... Maybe should I Plug them up before I cut it on?). Everything works fine though the XMB and to load the HDD data for VF5 and load the save data but as soon as I get to the main menu, I lose all functionality. No buttons, no stick, no nothing. Same situation for both converters. I'm running a MAS stick if it makes a difference. Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated.
-G

[quote name='bill123']I work tom. I'll see if my cc has any of them left, if so I'll snag what ever we have and send them off to anyone who is looking for them.[/QUOTE]

I'd love a PM if you come across any. :)
-G

[quote name='simplygriff']See... That's got me wondering what the problem is with my adapters. I have 2 different ones. One is a Super Joy Box 2 that has 2 controller inputs to a single USB. This is what I use on my MAME PC and it works perfectly on the PC. The other is a PS2 and N64 to USB converter. I don't remember what brand. I do still have the box and driver disc and all that stuff though.[/quote]

Mine is similar. It is blue and has 2 PS2 ports. It is not the Super Joy Box 2 though (I looked up a picture). I have not tried it with two controllers and the PS3 because I do not have two PS2 controllers. I will try it again tonight, but I remember being able to navigate thru the menus in VF5 with the DualShock 2 no problem. However, this was a few weeks ago, so I will try hooking it up again tonight, and let you know what the deal is.

Try plugging it in before turning it on - I do not think that that would make a difference, but you never know. It is worth a shot.

I think I'll try to play with it again tonight just to see if I can get anything to work. I didn't try hooking up 2 controllers to it either. I wonder if that would make any difference too though. While I had it plugged up I hit the PS button on my second PS3 controller to turn it on and it got assigned to controller port 3 so I think that was odd... I think maybe the problem is in the controller assignment.
-G

Just tested it. I had the SIXAXIS disconnected completely. Turning the system on or off via the controller does not work nor does going to the in-game menu. However, Virtua Fighter 5 works absolutely fine. I was able to start it from the XMB with the DualShock 2, load the saved game, and play around in the dojo. It worked absolutely as expected. The correct buttons were mapped, and there was no perceivable lag. If I find a second controller somewhere, I will test how two controllers work simulatenously. However, the worst case is that you would have to buy two adapters - much better than buying new arcade sticks :p.

On a side note, I was able to start PS2 games just fine from the XMB and rumble works in them. Woot.

What firmware revision do you have? Support for controllers was beefed up in version 1.7 (or thereabouts). I would try using your PC one again.

Thanks for testing again Oxygen. I appreciate the info. I tested a lot again yesterday. After testing, I determined my no-name converter just doesn't work right. I had no start button support no matter what. But, I'm 99% sure it's my stick that's giving me grief.

By hooking up the stick and Super Joy Box 2 converter before I turned the PS3 on, the stick got assigned the #1 controller spot. I could get into VF5 and get all the way to the main menu before I lost stick functionality. I had button support but no stick. Kinda funny, I actually could win a couple matches with El Blaze without moving at all haha. With my sticks (MAS systems Super Pro Stick with PS2 and Gamecube support) there is a button to switch between digital and analog for the stick itself. This is where the problem is, as best as I can tell. I hooked up a Dual Shock 2 the same way and had no control support in VF5 until I pressed the Analog button in the middle. With this on, everything worked flawlessly. Buttons, stick everything.

Now I'm in debate as to whether the Pelican will work with my sticks at all, even if I ever do find one. I've messaged MarkMan of www.sd-tekken.com since he seems to the resident stick and converter guru to see if he had a MAS stick and tested with the Pelican and he said he had but not with the most recent firmwares and whatnot. I'm running 2.10 myself on a 60GB unit.

At this point I'm still looking for at least one Pelican cause it's cheaper than sticks but I'm going to research more into PS3 specific sticks and whatnot and see what my other potential options are.
-G

I am not absolutely convinced that these exact converters are required for one to use PS2 components well on the PS3. As I mentioned, an adapter I find off of eBay years ago works great. Sure, it does not have a PS / home button, but you can use a SIXAXIS for that.

I have heard good things about the EMS Dual Shooter, but I have not tried it myself. EMS typically makes good stuff, for what it is worth.

No one has mentioned this yet, but Game Crazy had the Pelican controller adapters in January (that's when I got mine from a store of their's in Ohio). It could be worth checking out. . .

bread's done
Back