Where can I get the best deal for a SF4 gamepad or joystick?

lustyhitter

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
As we all know, Street Fighter 4 is coming February 17. I think we also know that the PS3 DS3 is inadequate for this game. What store should I go to in order to obtain a good 3rd party gamepad or joystick for SF4 for a good price?

Should I look into Amazon or any other online outlet, perhaps?

[quote name='chrisryans']Pelican adapter in a pinch? That's pretty funny, seeing that they're ridiculously rare and go for $80+ on ebay.[/quote]

Or use another less expensive adaptor.

[quote name='HyperD']wow, that was fast! the seller shipped my USB saturn pad on friday HKT. received it today (Feb 17th, 10:30 am). This controller is amazing! Indeed it works with PS3, you just need to turn on the PS3 controller and set it as controller 3. It is absolutely perfect for HDR, megaman and SF4![/quote]
Mine was shipped Friday as well, haven't received it yet. Was expecting at least 2 week wait, maybe I'll get it sooner! Are there any functions in SF4 that require a select button (which the Saturn pad is missing?)

[quote name='Bencherstyle']hmm. aw well, i cant play it untill the summer anyways:applause:(actually crying inside)

um, i never pre-ordered anything so could someone share how this is done?

i can't go pick it up untill next week... and since you have to pick it up in 48 hours, what happends after that? do i get a refund?[/quote]

Can't play until summer? Uhh.. then why don't you save your money for now and find it at a better price in four months time? :whistle2:?

[quote name='Kekumba']Can't play until summer? Uhh.. then why don't you save your money for now and find it at a better price in four months time? :whistle2:?[/quote]

i thought of that, but its SF4, i doubt its ganna get any cheaper in 4 months ;0

i might cancel my RE5 tho, and save it up.

[quote name='jivedanson']Nabbed up SF IV last night at local EB, but was told in no uncertain terms that the pads would not go on sale until today.

Will be going over lunch to check it out.[/quote]

I was told this also when I went to pick up the game on the 17th.

I asked if I could pay for/pre-order a fightpad and was told "we never took pre-orders for those, just for the game, call tomorrow".

Fast forward 24hrs and they have completely changed their story.

"We only got a few in, and they were for people who had pre-ordered them"

so I said what they told me the other day and the guy said "Well it doesnt matter. They're all gone, sorry"

Sorry doesn't make the 360 controller any better.

[quote name='HyperD']wow, that was fast! the seller shipped my USB saturn pad on friday HKT. received it today (Feb 17th, 10:30 am). This controller is amazing! Indeed it works with PS3, you just need to turn on the PS3 controller and set it as controller 3. It is absolutely perfect for HDR, megaman and SF4![/quote]

What was the seller's ID? Your story gives me hope that mine could be here before the weekend (hosting a little get-together and have a Street Fighter grudge match against a friend if and only if we have decent controllers)

Based on the word in this thread, looks like I was pretty justified in getting the PS3 version based solely on controllers. I'm not an achievement junkie, but I'd still enjoy the Gamerscore boost... but not at the price or headache involved in finding a good controller.

EB guy didn't know either. He told me 'sometimes next week' but didn't sound very convicing. In the meantime my copy of SF4 is gonna stay unopen until I find those damn gamepads

The mail man left a tag on the door this morning, I think my Saturn pad came after all. Hong Kong to Kingston ON in 3 business days. I'll pick it up tomorrow and report back.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']The mail man left a tag on the door this morning, I think my Saturn pad came after all. Hong Kong to Kingston ON in 3 business days. I'll pick it up tomorrow and report back.[/quote]
Well, I got the pad. Tried it out on HD Remix, seems to work great. The dpad is far more suited to SF games than the dualshock. The buttons seem okay, the top ones are kinda small but they work fine. Can't wait to try it out on SF4.

[quote name='pixelperfect']Anyone know where I can get an arcade stick in Toronto Today!!! Madcatz or Hori....[/quote]

ANYONE?

I think GameShack got a couple of Hori's last week or so, I don't know if they're still there. As for MadCatz, I think they're sold out everywhere/not being sold yet.

Also, it kind of sucks that the MadCatz sticks seem to have A LOT of problems with them. Makes me want to consider getting a Hori Real Arcade Pro, but the price is way too steep.

[quote name='Haeleos']My EB says the pads won't be in until Tuesday, according to their computer.[/quote]

My EB confirmed the same, Feb 24th. I'm hoping that will be true, because mine's been paid in full for a while now and I can't stand using the standard 360 controller for this game.

I hear that Madcatz has some issues:

SE stick (100 dollar one): sticking buttons and joystick
Madcatz Fightpad: diagonals still don't work very well

May stick to the 360 analog for now...

anyone know if EB lets you exchange those controllers if they're defective? if not i'll make sure to ask before buying on tuesday

[quote name='Deltapixel']anyone know if EB lets you exchange those controllers if they're defective? if not i'll make sure to ask before buying on tuesday[/quote]

If I remember correctly you get a week to exchange any open products (Lately all the reciepts I get from EB don't have the return policy on the back anymore). Chances are they'll be sold out by the time you come back so you'll just get store credit.

I just bought a Soul Calibur IV HORI Stick brand new off of an Amazon seller yesterday. It was the only one I could find and the other HORIs have been back-ordered since the beginning of January.

[quote name='JGonspy']How much is the pad at EB?[/quote]
should be $40...

im looking for a fightpad or stick as well..the 360 controller is killing me.

Is the SE stick seriously a 100 bucks? I thought they were $80 before tax?

Anyway, even with all its issues, you can easily fix them if you replace the parts with Sanwa/Seimitsu. Then you'll have a damn good stick. Anyway, if anyone sees the SE stick up for sale, kindly update us.

The chances of any Mad Catz stick reaching Canada is slim. The reason why is because there's no one willing to manufacture it here, or bring it over. EB Games is getting shipments because they're receiving their stock from their branches in the U.S. And even then, combined with the shortage, you'll have to pray they make enough or resort to using eBay. Of course, you can also look at some local stores or Asian markets, such as Pacific Mall in Ontario, since they get some stock from ordering their own.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered one (pad) a while ago from the US (a little expesive, but is the only way to get them here in Canada) and last week i got this e-mail

Dear AlternativeDVD.com buyer; As we are getting close to the release of Street Fighter 4 game we do not have any new news about the release of the Tournament sticks, Fight sticks and Fight pads. We placed several orders with our distributors few months back and as today it seems like they might not be able to fulfill all of them. Madcats promised everybody good quantities but ended up having problems during the manufacturing process. There have been rumors of fight pads and tournament sticks been released in advance and ended up to be defective. This could have been the cause of the shortage and delay of the release date. As today, no official news was released by madcats or our distributors and we were left wondering just like you. We might receive an update by the middle of next week but in the meanwhile we are offering two options: - For those who would like to keep their orders open; upon receiving our stocks we will do our best to fulfill them in a "first come, first serve basis" considering when the order was placed. Keep in mind this could take a while but we will keep you inform about the restock date. -For those who would like to cancel, if a payment was made or charged using credit card, google checkout or paypal we will proceed with a refund. Please write to [email protected] with your order number, name, last name and let us know what you are willing to do regarding your order. Sincerely Mario Rosa CEO www.AlternativeDVD.com Your Source for Video Games, DVDs, and collectible Toys.

It seems that even in the US theyre having shortage and prblems, so i wont count on having them in Canada for a qhile.

Hmm, I was going to order some pads from AlternativeDVD but I was hesitant as to what their reputation was like. Doesn't seem like that letter was really proofread and they got Madcatz wrong haha...

Anyway, good luck and hopefully you get your pads! I'm hoping my EB gets the TE sticks I put money down for (and that they have no issues.)

[quote name='Haeleos']Doesn't look like EB is getting them in today.

Mad Catz really fucked this one up.[/quote]

are you referring to the fightpads or sticks? damn you madcatz :bomb:

I got the call from EBGames in Oakville at around 6pm tonight that my two fightpads were in. Picked them up. They told me they didn't receive any of the sticks yet. Anyways, the fightpads are ok... a little on the small side, and they feel a little cheap.

I called far too many gamestops looking for a ps3 pad. I'd be fine with Chun Li, Akuma, or Ken, maybe Ryu. I wish I had thought about getting one of these before buying the game. The ps3 controller just doesnt cut it. No stores anywhere have it in stock :whistle2:/

Actually thing I dont get is why they cant just turn out a decent controller without putting 1 of 5 different street fighter graphics. Some day in the future there's going to be a landfill filled with the blanka controllers nobody wants (once mad catz actually produces enough to keep up with demand) :)

I just got back and they only received one in for 360. Seems like most EBs only received one 360 controller, my buddy who manages an EB in TO told me that's all they got shipped to them. So I picked it up, got the Ken design.

[quote name='mikeja72']Actually thing I dont get is why they cant just turn out a decent controller without putting 1 of 5 different street fighter graphics. Some day in the future there's going to be a landfill filled with the blanka controllers nobody wants (once mad catz actually produces enough to keep up with demand) :)[/quote]

LOL so true. I think they hoped some crazy SF maniacs would buy all 5, pokemon style.

Anyone wanting to get rid of their 360 fight pad? Shoot me a PM then please!

I've been calling BB's and Gamestops and nothing so far....

I think I'm going to buy the usb saturn controller. Any reason to talk me out of it and buying a fight pad instead? Aside from it being wireless that is.

The USB Saturn Controller is MUCH better than the Fight Pad. The Fight Pad is good, but the Saturn Controller is supreme.

Everything seems to be going my way today too, found a fight pad, and just now I got my hands on a SFIV Collector's Edition. I also got my government bursary today. Someone's smiling down on me haha.

I'm just saying screw it to holding my breath and waiting for pads or sticks that 'might work' for a bit...Gonna build my own...My thumb is killing me from SF4, dammit..Gotta get away from the 360 controller.

"haHA..haHA..NO! DON'T SHORYUKEN! YOU'RE NOT EVEN NEA- oh fuck me."

they sticks should be coming in on the 15th of March, However they probably won't even have that many coming in, so be there early on the 15th.

Posted this on 1 or 2 other threads, but I really would like an answer. Basically is there a difference between sega usb controllers? There's black, dark gray, and light gray on ebay. Also can anyone recommend someone on ebay they bought these through? Thanks

I bought a Saturn USB pad off of this user here and it arrived in about 4 days. The price was $28USD or $34 Canadian at the time.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=220360424947

I purchased one of the black ones because the grey design doesn't look as good.

Here's a link to another seller that is selling it for $29.99USD
http://cgi.ebay.ca/SEGA-USB-Control...14&_trkparms=72:1215|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

I bought it before SFIV came out so now the prices of these controllers has gone up significantly.

Thanks for the response. I saw the one by bestbuy-enjoy but I figured Id ask first for recommendations. The 50% price increase between the gray and black models made me think there was something I was missing or didnt know about.

Oh and do you know if these are usb 2.0? Basically Im wondering if I can tack on a 6' or 10' usb extension cord without a repeater on it so the controller can reach my couch easier.

bread's done
Back