Where Do Web Developers Hang Out?

mnine

CAGiversary!
Where have all the cowboys gone? By cowboys I mean nerdy web developers and designers.

I'm trying to find a partner to open a digital studio. My first project is a web service, but I know nothing about how the internet works and can't for the life of me find where these people hide. Suggestions to popular blogs, site and message boards are kindly accepted!

dunno, think we are all over the place. If you find the rest of them, let me know.

There are quite a bit of forums and blogs out there, a quick google search with specifics, such as development language/technology, ie. ASP.NET, PHP, JSP, Ruby etc, would help.

Some common ones
forums.devshed
daniweb
webdevforums

btw, what type of web service are you considering to develop?

If this is a serious venture and you consider the opportunity valuable for the developer, contact your local universities' computer science staff (lead adviser, unless they list some other preferred contact) and ask how you could inform their computer science / computer engineering students of this opportunity. My school maintains a few different blogs on which they post opportunities ranging from volunteer to $100k/yr full-time positions, and readers of those opportunities vary from freshmen in the department to doctoral alumni.

Stay open-minded, though. Sounds like you don't have much of an idea about just how much work development really is. There are a lot of people out there who think "I have a great idea, I just need someone to make it happen" without realizing the "make it happen" is way more work and way harder than coming up with the idea. I'm not trying to imply you have nothing to offer -- since you say digital studio I assume you've got some artistic talent, so this very well may be a good opportunity for someone, I just wanted to drop this little warning to prevent the scenario where the idea-man feels like the code monkey is second fiddle.

So, I gotta ask...whenever you find a developer/designer that meets your needs, how are you planning on compensating them? If you go to them with your idea and tell them "you'll get paid a % of what the site makes" or "it'll look good in your portfolio", be prepared to get laughed at by a lot of people.

I mention this as one of my first job interviews after graduation was with a company who offered less than 40k in San Diego, but I'd receive company stock. Their plan read like a list of random tech-happening words thrown together..."we want to build a cloud-computing based social-networking site with document-sharing and mobile-desktops and flash-games." I used every opportunity to insult the company during my interview (which I only agreed to since they were willing to fly me out to San Diego).

[quote name='Strell']I think it's more important to find where the sailors hang out.[/QUOTE]

The web developers are the only ones who know that! Find them and you'll find your sailors.

bread's done
Back