Where do you guys shop for cheapass home audio stuff?

RaekwonThaChef

CAGiversary!
Well, I found a real nice deal on a Sony 600watt 6.1 receiver, so I jumped on it, the only thing was that it didn't come with any speakers. I have some nice spare ones so I'm currently running stereo, but I need my center and rear speakers for surround sound. (Not to mention a sub :( ) Anyways, I'd really appreciate any suggestions on where I can find a cheap, reliable site for speakers and such. Also, if any of you have any suggestions on decent speakers, feel free to let me know. Thanks a lot for the help CAG's.

Hey I just bought some kick ass speakers today.

Tell me where to get the reciver and I'll give you the speaker steal of the year.

http://www.jandr.com

I saved $50 on a set of Sony surround sound speakers (rear and center channels).

This was 10 years ago and they price matched a B&M store. I guess they still have their mail-order catalog and 1-800 #.

EDIT: Wow, just seconds after I accessed their site ....now they are updating and redirecting you.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']There's good deals to be had at the Good Guys, in their clearance section.

It would help to know what price range you are looking to spend for your speakers...

I would suggest this center channel speaker as it is...
http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/store/category.cgi?category=spk_center&item=c1mc50ce
It kicks ass for the price they offering for it now, and they have an excellent return policy.[/quote]

Hehe yeah I suppose price range would be real helpful huh? Well, my receiver isn't the best, so I don't need anything great, frankly I'd like to get the cheapest speakers possible that aren't huge pieces of crap. My receiver is a Sony STR-DE695, far from top of the line, but not horrible (I don't think). Honestly, I don't know much about home audio, (I'm a car audiophile however :) ), so maybe even a suggestion of the price range of speakers I should be looking for would be helpful i.e. not overkill for my receiver. Hopefully that narrows it down a bit.

Any for the guy who asked about where I got my reciever, it was an open box item, CC B&M.

Get the J&R catalogs. I was receiving the Crutchfield and CambridgeSoundWorks mailings but they were WAY too pricey. :shock: Nice in-depth articles and comparison charts though.

I didn't want to make a new post but I was wondering if anyone could tell me where you can buy those wires that you use to hook up the speakers? They're like two wires together and usually come in black/red they also are open at the ends? I need around 50ft? Can anyone link me?

[quote name='fugazi_chichimon']I didn't want to make a new post but I was wondering if anyone could tell me where you can buy those wires that you use to hook up the speakers? They're like two wires together and usually come in black/red they also are open at the ends? I need around 50ft? Can anyone link me?[/quote]

That isn't too difficult to find, check your local electronics retailers.
Also, if you're feeling adventurous, you can even check out $.99 stores. Hehe. Can't beat 25 feet of 18 gauge for $.99.

[quote name='RaekwonThaChef'][quote name='fugazi_chichimon']I didn't want to make a new post but I was wondering if anyone could tell me where you can buy those wires that you use to hook up the speakers? They're like two wires together and usually come in black/red they also are open at the ends? I need around 50ft? Can anyone link me?[/quote]

That isn't too difficult to find, check your local electronics retailers.
Also, if you're feeling adventurous, you can even check out $.99 stores. Hehe. Can't beat 25 feet of 18 gauge for $.99.[/quote]

Well if don't find it for 99cents I'd suggest bumping up the gauge to 16 if you're going to be using 50 ft.

[quote name='fugazi_chichimon']I didn't want to make a new post but I was wondering if anyone could tell me where you can buy those wires that you use to hook up the speakers? They're like two wires together and usually come in black/red they also are open at the ends? I need around 50ft? Can anyone link me?[/quote]
Check your local Home Depot or Lowes, they sell stock speaker wire on the cheap. It doesn't come in pretty color-coding, but it's cheap and good.

bread's done
Back