where should i start my career?

darkmere

CAGiversary!
i know this is a longshot on an internet message board based on videogames, but i'll give it a try...

i'm graduating film school in a couple weeks and i'm looking to start a career in cinematography and/or editing. i really want to stay here in vancouver, but the canadian government along with other factors are making it hard for me to do so, meaning i'll likely move back to the u.s. i'll likely end up in l.a. where i have some family, maybe atlanta where my parents live, or possibly san francisco or seattle. does anyone know of a city with a good film scene, or better yet any potential job leads? i'm not expecting much, but you never know where you'll find a break...

just got an email from a friend...may have a lead for work in the editing department of an animation company in san francisco. thing i don't like about l.a. is the competition...how many people want to work in film there? i want to start in a smaller, close-knit film scene where you could network and potentially move up in the ranks quickly.

Orlando maybe? I know its growing incredibly fast and in addition to the theme parks most of those studios actually film some stuff there.

As a somewhat recent college graduate (2005) I will say that entry-level jobs don't exist unless you have experience or an intership under your belt by graduation. I would suggest to you to make some short films and present it to employers and see what happens.

[quote name='fart_bubble']I take it that you are going to VFI? Hope you don't mind, but I was wondering how that school is (I want to go there).[/QUOTE]
vfs (aka the school kevin smith dropped out of)

good school overall, perhaps the best one year program. i have my complaints, but i've gotten a lot out of it, not to mention the people that i've met (classmates, instructors, guest speakers, etc.) couldn't tell you about vfi...

[quote name='dberuvides']As a somewhat recent college graduate (2005) I will say that entry-level jobs don't exist unless you have experience or an intership under your belt by graduation. I would suggest to you to make some short films and present it to employers and see what happens.[/QUOTE]
are you a film grad? (curious if you were giving specific film info, or just standard college grad warnings) due to the nature of a one year program, it's next to impossible to find the time to work an internship. in a couple weeks i'll start working on my demo reel. i'll have worked on the following during my year at school:
1 mini-doc (3 min)
1 short doc (8 min)
1 mini-drama (2 min)
6 short dramas (10 min)
1 commercial (30 sec)

granted, those are 'student films,' but i'm sure i can get a nice word or two about me from instructors/contacts. if all else fails, show up to a film location happy, eager, and willing to work for free just to get experience. my big concern is finding the right film scene.

oops, thats the school I am thinking of. I dunno where I got VFI from. I've heard good things from the school and the price have gotten my intrest piqed.

If your looking for a internship (and a fellow geek/nerd), I know Guillermo del Toro is always looking for good interns. I would try getting a hold of him through his official fansite (he doesn't have his own site, so he uses that as his site in a "unofficial" capacity) www.deltorofilms He is currently busy with Pan but he is good at replying to anyone who emails him, in other words it might take you a month to hear from him.

EDIT: The site is currently down right now, but give it a few days and it will be back up.

fart bubble, if you're interested in the film production program at vfs i can tell you a bit about it. what dept(s) are you interested in working in? the cinematography program is excellent, some of the other parts of film production are in a transition to become better, so at times they're great, sometimes they feel like a waste of time. if you have any questions about it i'll try to answer them.

bread's done
Back