Where the hell am I? (or: I'm about to buy a GPS)

Illini Jeeper

CAGiversary!
Do any of you CAGs have GPS units that you bought after-market for your vehicle? I'm looking to pick one up for a road trip I have coming in the middle of July and figured I'd ask around for opinions first. Thanks!

I grabbed a TomTom on Black Friday. One of the best purchases I've made. I don't know what the difference is with brands, but I toss my vote for a TomTom.

I agree with TomTom. Even my little, ol' TomTom ONE has been very useful - especially when getting lost in the interstate.

3rd tomtom One 3rd edition. Just used it again today. Very nice and easy to use. I've seen it for $100 recently, don't remember where though...

So far it looks like TomTom is the best choice, according to my fellow CAGs. The only real GPS experience I ever had before was a Garmin model in a few of of the Piper Archers I used to fly.

For those that own a TomTom, how accurate is it? I've been reading reviews that say it's a really good unit, but it's accuracy can suffer from older charts than the competition. Any truth in this?

Gamin Nuvi 200W is the one I have.

I prefer it greatly over the TomTom One my girlfriend and my best friend have. It seems to give better directions most of the time, and it has a MUCH more comprehensive point of interest database.

TomTom is more customizable, you can download a ton of voices etc., with the Garmin you're stuck with the default voice. But I don't care about that kind of stuff personally.

I'd reccomend spending more and getting one that has "text to speech" and actually says the name of the road to turn on rather than just saying "turn right."

That's the one thing I wish I had, when driving through a city it can be tough to look at see the name of the street while fighting traffic. It may say "turn right" but there may be 2 or 3 turns in the 50 feet before you get to the one your actually supposed to turn on. So it would be nice to hear "Turn right on Park Street" so you can just look at the signs and not take your eyes of the road.

TomTom is sick.

If you got Bluetooth on your phone, the TomTom will read it, and update traffic by the minute. Best purchase ever.

I have a Nuvi and its great. It has text to speech, and it very accurate. All the streets around me are named. Like poster above me said, its great to hear it say, turn right in 50yards at Main St. The only time it gets lost is in the same area that my cell reception goes dead. Guess its just a dead spot with lots of trees. I didnt think I would use it much, but I do. We use it to find the softball fields each week, re-routing though traffic when the roads are backed up, to just going to garage sales on weekends. Kinda cool it that it also estimates your arrival time at your destination, and is pretty damn accurate with your speed. Apparently in Europe they have speed cameras, and Nuvi will tell you to slow down as you approach one of those areas and you are speeding.

And you can be a big nerd and go geo-caching. Which isnt as fun now that gas is a tad high.

[quote name='Illini Jeeper']So far it looks like TomTom is the best choice, according to my fellow CAGs. The only real GPS experience I ever had before was a Garmin model in a few of of the Piper Archers I used to fly.

For those that own a TomTom, how accurate is it? I've been reading reviews that say it's a really good unit, but it's accuracy can suffer from older charts than the competition. Any truth in this?[/quote]

You can download newer maps, i've never had a problem with it at all.

[quote name='ITDEFX']I am using VZ Navigator on my Voyager and I have it tied into my speakers via the tape adapter.[/quote]

Is this you?

472_1995voyager.jpg

My in-laws have a Garmin and they keep telling me to get one. It would have paid for itself if i had when i got lost and got a ticket 2 weeks ago.

[quote name='Pookymeister']Is this you?

472_1995voyager.jpg

My in-laws have a Garmin and they keep telling me to get one. It would have paid for itself if i had when i got lost and got a ticket 2 weeks ago.[/quote]

Nah, he's mexican and I am not (think central America) ..plus my hoopdee is smaller than that with more door dings and scratches :)

But to clarify it's my Verizon Wireless Voyager (LG VX-10000) using VZ Navigator GPS software and since I haven't bought the Bluetooth/FM transmitter yet it has to be hooked up to my tape deck with adapter to my ear phone plug.

I guess another question I have about the systems is how they attach to the vehicle. My main worry is that I don't want the unit to tumble down in the middle of a drive or something.

[quote name='Illini Jeeper']I guess another question I have about the systems is how they attach to the vehicle. My main worry is that I don't want the unit to tumble down in the middle of a drive or something.[/quote]

There are plenty of kits you can buy for it to keep it mounted...however depending on your area you might want to make sure you can easily detach it because I know in my area there has been a lot of car break ins for these things :(

[quote name='Ahadi']I grabbed a TomTom on Black Friday. One of the best purchases I've made. I don't know what the difference is with brands, but I toss my vote for a TomTom.[/QUOTE]

I bought my Dad one during the same sale. It's pretty awesome and saved my ass when I went down to Florida for vacation.

I'm honestly thinking about buying one for myself.

i like the tomtoms over the garmins. they carry the tele atlas maps, which i think is the superior map provider around me.

[quote name='Illini Jeeper']I guess another question I have about the systems is how they attach to the vehicle. My main worry is that I don't want the unit to tumble down in the middle of a drive or something.[/QUOTE]

They come with suction cup mounts to put them on your windshield (that's illegal in CA and MI though). I've never had mine fall off, nor seen my girlfriends tomtom One fall off either.

I'd go with one that announces street names.

Some say "Turn Left on Oak St in .4 miles"

While others just say "Turn Left in .4 miles"

It's a lot easier to follow the directions if the unit speaks the street name.

bread's done
Back