Where to find a HDTV for under $500?

Yeah I would also like to know.

But I'd be willing to spend over $500. More like under $800 for me.
And size could also be bigger.

So far the best deal I found was a

Olevia Silver 37" 16:9 8ms HD LCD TV Model 337H = $629.99 plus shipping.
At NewEgg.com

Anyone see any better deals than that?

Try Tiger Direct for all your "I dont care what shitty brand of HDTV I buy so long as I have a HDTV" needs

Or just watch sites like slickdeals or fatwallet. They have deals on tvs atleast once a week ranging between $400-$1000

[quote name='HeadRusch']Try Tiger Direct for all your "I dont care what shitty brand of HDTV I buy so long as I have a HDTV" needs[/quote]

what if you care about shitty delivery/customer service?

I've started looking around but haven't found much. I'm dissappointed with Olevia so those are out.

Over the weekend Fry's had a clearance of some sort for a 37in 1080p for around $530 but it was limited to what was left. They also don't specify what company it's from as always too.

[quote name='VipFREAK']I've started looking around but haven't found much. I'm dissappointed with Olevia so those are out.

Over the weekend Fry's had a clearance of some sort for a 37in 1080p for around $530 but it was limited to what was left. They also don't specify what company it's from as always too.[/QUOTE]

what problems have you experienced with Olevia? just curious.

[quote name='tacklebox']Refurbs okay?

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=70016377&adid=17070&dcaid=17070

32" ViewSonic HDTV, 720p/1080i.

Not sure how ViewSonic is on their return policy; the buy.com page specifically says that ViewSonic will handle all returns.[/QUOTE]
Response time is 12MS. I hope the OP doesn't plan on doing any gaming on this TV.

This is a better 32" HDTV for $500 (but there is a $15 coupon for new customers and $10 off with Google Checkout) making it $475 with free shipping:

http://www.buy.com/retail/Product.asp?sku=204042780&adid=17662

EDIT: Just read the OP. You don't trust Buy.com. May I ask why? I've had nothing but great experiences with them, and with Google Checkout your ass is even more covered.

[quote name='maxflight']what problems have you experienced with Olevia? just curious.[/quote]

None... It's just I got so picky about image quality that I guess Olevia doesn't cut it for me. It didn't/doesn't make me go "Wow" when looking at it at a store like the other tvs. Before this whole stupid HD crap I was just fine with my pickiness but now I'm ruined.

Uh, if you're so picky about image quality why are you looking at bare-bones HD sets when you know they're all going to suck?

I never said that... I merely said the Olevia's don't do it for me. There are still a lot of good tvs that are a bit more than $500.
1rolleyes3ho.gif

All I can say is the Westinghouse 1080p models kick ass. I have seen the 37 at below 800. Only 1 HDMI jack though and no built in tuners mean you need a cable box or Satellite dish.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']All I can say is the Westinghouse 1080p models kick ass. I have seen the 37 at below 800. Only 1 HDMI jack though and no built in tuners mean you need a cable box or Satellite dish.[/quote]

They don't? I didn't realize that. hm... I guess that's not too big of a problem. Since I could use my PC on it. It has a VGA connection right?

I'm also disappointed in my Olevia (LT37HVS). The remote control is absolutely atrocious, you have to have it at a perfect angle before it recognizes anything. The dark images aren't that great or sharp, and mine has already begun to break down after 6 months - it needed a minute to warm up after powering on before it would recognize any sort of commands other than volume, whether it was from the remote or just the buttons on the tv itself. Luckily, it's still under warranty and so they're sending a technician out to fix this problem. I was lucky enough to get in on the Buy.com's 42" Samsung plasma hps4273 for $950 including shipping/tax that was sold out in literally minutes, some time a week and a half ago. Too bad I only bought one for my parents and didn't consider getting one for me, I'm kicking myself now.

Me and my friend are looking to split the money and buy an HDTV (and a PS3) when we room together at UCONN. How does this look - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889179003

Do you think it is too big? Would you reccomend wall -mounting it, getting a smaller HDTV, or just scrapping the HDTV for now and waiting till later years when we move off-campus? Also that 1080p Westinghouse looks sick but it's at $1,000 right now(on newegg). Are you sure you've seen it down to $800?

[quote name='Ranger Rick']Me and my friend are looking to split the money and buy an HDTV (and a PS3) when we room together at UCONN. How does this look - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889179003

Do you think it is too big? Would you reccomend wall -mounting it, getting a smaller HDTV, or just scrapping the HDTV for now and waiting till later years when we move off-campus? Also that 1080p Westinghouse looks sick but it's at $1,000 right now(on newegg). Are you sure you've seen it down to $800?[/QUOTE]
The 1080p Westy is $1400 at newegg.com right now.

Umm, I'm sorry, but anyone who actually thinks a Westinghouse or Olevia display looks good is being fooled by their cheapness. I could careless if there's dozens of threads on AVS forums praising them, that's simply because of the price point. I've taken a look at my fair share of these cheap displays, and up close they're blurry as hell. I seriously doubt any of you play games at 10 feet, because that's how far you need to be for these TV's to look good.

Under $500 for an HDTV? The only thing I can suggest is something most people don't like much: CRT direct view tube. A refurbished Philips can be bought for under $400 for 30 inches, easily from Philips' official website. Wal-Mart sells a JVC I-Art 30 inch for around $550 and a Sanyo for around $428. Browse your Circuit City or Best Buy for an open box Panasonic or Toshiba: a 30 inch Panasonic if lucky can cost you around $350.

Other than that, I'd suggest save up $500 and wait until you have another $500 more. If you're buying an LCD or Plasma, stick with the good brands that actually are pretty affordable: Panasonic and LG. If you're buying a projection TV: Hitachi makes the cheapest sets, yet in my opinion they're the best looking sets. I've seen several 50 plus inch models capable of 720p and 1080i with 2 HDMI inputs for under $1000.

$1000 is the magic pricepoint for a good HDTV, at $500 you're limited to small small displays [20 inch Panasonic, 15 inch Sony, etc] and off brand cheap displays with little to no documentation, virtually no support, and subpar image quality. Yet at $1000 you can choose from 10 plus brands, every single display technology, and various sizes.

However, if you do want a CRT direct view, $500 can buy you a TV better than everything else out there in terms of image quality and lifetime. With a Circuit City $40 coupon, a 34 inch SONY 1080i tube with a scaler [yes, so it can take 720p] and hdmi plus 2 component inputs will cost you $699. That's the only current CRT tube on the market [Panasonic dropped out in 2005, Samsung is still selling old models, Toshiba only has one model too] That's a little more than $500 but the TV is a beast and you can NOT beat the color separation or clarity of the display. Plus the set will last you 10 years at a minimum if you take care of it.

[quote name='sarausagi']Umm, I'm sorry, but anyone who actually thinks a Westinghouse or Olevia display looks good is being fooled by their cheapness. I could careless if there's dozens of threads on AVS forums praising them, that's simply because of the price point. I've taken a look at my fair share of these cheap displays, and up close they're blurry as hell. I seriously doubt any of you play games at 10 feet, because that's how far you need to be for these TV's to look good. [/quote]
I own the 42" 1080p Westinghouse, and it looks amazing. I also own a 22" Westinghouse monitor. I've played games and watched movies on both in high def and standard def, and both look fantastic. 480i material doesn't look great, but that's true with all HDTVs/monitors, some more than others. I sit about 5 feet away, and the screen doesn't look blurry at all. It's not going to compete with HDTVs that are $3000+, but this picture for the price I paid, I really can't complain.

[quote name='Trakan']I own the 42" 1080p Westinghouse, and it looks amazing. I also own a 22" Westinghouse monitor. I've played games and watched movies on both in high def and standard def, and both look fantastic. 480i material doesn't look great, but that's true with all HDTVs/monitors, some more than others. I sit about 5 feet away, and the screen doesn't look blurry at all. It's not going to compete with HDTVs that are $3000+, but this picture for the price I paid, I really can't complain.[/QUOTE]

Ah, so you own two? Interesting.

Well, you are right about 480i, but I will add, 480i on a Panasonic, Pioneer, or even an LG looks better than on a native 480i set. The scalers in these TV's are much of the price of the TV itself, and they show.

I guess that is the thing about these cheaper sets: out of their native resolutions they perform horribly, but in their native resolutions they look good enough. The price is certainly compelling point. I would say their computer monitors are much better than their actual TV's.

Also, you sit 5 feet away from a 42 inch display? That seems a little too close for comfort..

I just bought the 37" Hannspree on monday after reading tons of reviews on buy.com and the avs forums and it will be arriving at my house on friday. Its listed as going up to 1080i but i've read that it also accepts 1080p signals but who knows what it's actually doing with that. It has 3 HDMI inputs but only one of everything else... vga, composite, component, s-video... it does have spdif and all 3 tuners as well. It just seemed like a really good deal for everything you get and everyone says the picture is great with some tweaking.

I am just now getting into HD and i'm relatively uneducated in the matter, but for me right now i just wanted HD under $1000.

I almost jumped on the Samsung 42" Plasma for $899 but i took too long (minutes) to decide. Still kicking myself over that one but oh well.

All i'm really going to be using this for is going to be 360 and upscaled dvds so i think it should be fine. I'm not really even interested in HD TV, as there arent that many channels available and it's a little pricey.

HD television broadcasting, such as that offered by DirecTV is certainly not worth the cost. The shows provided are pretty shitty (except for HD NFL :drool: ). But, you can get at least one, usually two HD football games with your tuner, once football season is back.

[quote name='Ksinclair']I missed out on the Olevia deals at Kmart and Compusa

Anyone know of good HDTV between 26"-32" for under $500

And not that Hanfree one I do not trust Buy.com[/quote]

what the fuck brand is Olevia? Is it at least a no-name from a good brand manufacturer?

[quote name='karkyco']what the fuck brand is Olevia? Is it at least a no-name from a good brand manufacturer?[/QUOTE]

An Olevia is an overhyped budget screen for conformists

Slightly better than a Wal-Mart off brand, slightly worse than a white box Chinese display, and no where near a decent Panasonic/PIONEER/LG/Hitachi screen.

And the reason why I say overhyped is because I have no idea why ANYONE would pay $900 for a 42 inch Olevia when you could easily pay around $1000 for any of the above brands. Maybe at the 27/32 inch range for $400-500 they are worth buying, but even then, it's not -truly- worth it.

For a while Olevia was pushing out rebranded LG's for their flat panel division, and therefore, the screens were top of the line. However, right now I can't say they're still using the LG's.

Right now, honestly, if you want a budget flat panel that badly, go for a white box Chimei, easily $400-$800 in 32 to 42 inches.

I work at Staples, we get those Olevia lcds returned all the time. From what customers have told me, they suck.

[quote name='level1online']Can someone tell me the HDTV brand recommended by Microsoft for the 360? It's Samsung right?[/QUOTE]
Yes.

[quote name='Oberman']Or just watch sites like slickdeals or fatwallet. They have deals on tvs atleast once a week ranging between $400-$1000[/quote]

This site's pretty good with good deals on electronics and other useless junk. Passwird.com. I always see TV's and PC stuff on their for crazy cheap listed from other sites like newegg and others. Here's a smaller one a Staples right now and others from that site:

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaplesProductDisplay?storeId=10001&jspStoreDir=Staples&AID=10422268&partNumber=667178&cm_mmc=CJ-_-affiliate-_-feed-_-listing&PID=919776&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&ddkey=StaplesBeFree

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16889234005&CMP=AFC-C8Junction

My buddy's got a Westinghouse and it's pretty nice. Good luck

I ended up buying a 42 inch Projection HDTV Toshiba off craigslist for $400

The picture is awesome and the Wii , 360 and HD broadcast look great :)

[quote name='Ksinclair']I ended up buying a 42 inch Projection HDTV Toshiba off craigslist for $400

The picture is awesome and the Wii , 360 and HD broadcast look great :)[/QUOTE]

a bargain is always the best choice, CRT projection or DLP?

How old is it, by the way?

I'd hate if that lamp went out in a few months and you had to spend $150 to get it running again.

i have a 40 inch Westinghouse and the HD and the 360 looks GREAT i only paid a little less then 900 for it about 6 months ago but i am very pleased with it...i will be upgrading soon to a larger screen with 1080p and move this one into the bedroom

sarasaugi, you seem to be the expert around here on HDTV's, so I'll ask you a question:

This summer, my wife and I are looking to buy a quality HDTV that won't have to be replaced for about 15 years. I'm looking for 1080p, but if I can't find one in the price range we want, it's not a big deal.

Taking into account this summer's upcoming price drops, etc, what do you think is/will be the best television between $1000-$1500 this summer? I like DLP's, but I've heard of some problems. Any suggestions?

[quote name='Plinko']sarasaugi, you seem to be the expert around here on HDTV's, so I'll ask you a question:

This summer, my wife and I are looking to buy a quality HDTV that won't have to be replaced for about 15 years. I'm looking for 1080p, but if I can't find one in the price range we want, it's not a big deal.

Taking into account this summer's upcoming price drops, etc, what do you think is/will be the best television between $1000-$1500 this summer? I like DLP's, but I've heard of some problems. Any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

You know? I'll need to get back to you on this one. Not be replaced in 10 to 15 years? Plasma and LCD have a long life but it's been said that 10-15 years would be the max based on the life factory specs give them...plus burn in and dead pixels and you have a whole mess of other problems..

They don't make 1080p direct view CRT tubes because it's pretty much impossible, so I'm not even going to suggest that. A tube would last the longest though: there's a new JVC with 2x HDMI and 2x component, a good scaler, and 1080i native resolution. [That might work for you]

Then there's slim fits and rear projectors, those do 1080p, and they can last more than 10 years, providing you switch the lamp out every 2 years: that might be the type of TV you're looking for.

However, in the current market, I'd say that a TV shouldn't be such a big investment. Maybe if you bought a TV in 1990, then yeah, it was worth it, the TV would give you 15 years. There's so many new technologies and so many different input types coming in the next 5 years even, that I can't see any current TV being 100 percent future proof.

Right now I'm honestly thinking a DLP for you, that's the only build that technically could last more than 15 years as long as you take care of the set and replace the lamp every 2-3 years.

[quote name='sarausagi']You know? I'll need to get back to you on this one. Not be replaced in 10 to 15 years? Plasma and LCD have a long life but it's been said that 10-15 years would be the max based on the life factory specs give them...plus burn in and dead pixels and you have a whole mess of other problems..

They don't make 1080p direct view CRT tubes because it's pretty much impossible, so I'm not even going to suggest that. A tube would last the longest though: there's a new JVC with 2x HDMI and 2x component, a good scaler, and 1080i native resolution. [That might work for you]

Then there's slim fits and rear projectors, those do 1080p, and they can last more than 10 years, providing you switch the lamp out every 2 years: that might be the type of TV you're looking for.

However, in the current market, I'd say that a TV shouldn't be such a big investment. Maybe if you bought a TV in 1990, then yeah, it was worth it, the TV would give you 15 years. There's so many new technologies and so many different input types coming in the next 5 years even, that I can't see any current TV being 100 percent future proof.

Right now I'm honestly thinking a DLP for you, that's the only build that technically could last more than 15 years as long as you take care of the set and replace the lamp every 2-3 years.[/quote]

Thanks for the info--I've currently got an RCA CRT that I think is fantastic, but the lack of 720p is bothersome, which is why I'm looking to upgrade.

As I stated, I really like DLP's--I like the picture quality, and replacing the lamp every couple years doesn't bother me. I was looking at this Samsung:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Samsung_HL_S5687W/4505-6484_7-31783171.html?tag=lst

Thoughts? Seems like it would be a decent model for the price, which is probably going to drop this summer as well.

Also, you mentioned the new technologies coming in the next few years--are we looking at something with such amazing quality that it could render the current market of HDTVs obsolete quickly, or are we talking about something like the difference between 720p/1080i--something that makes a good argument between owners but isn't really a huge difference?

[quote name='Plinko']Thanks for the info--I've currently got an RCA CRT that I think is fantastic, but the lack of 720p is bothersome, which is why I'm looking to upgrade.

As I stated, I really like DLP's--I like the picture quality, and replacing the lamp every couple years doesn't bother me. I was looking at this Samsung:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Samsung_HL_S5687W/4505-6484_7-31783171.html?tag=lst

Thoughts? Seems like it would be a decent model for the price, which is probably going to drop this summer as well.

Also, you mentioned the new technologies coming in the next few years--are we looking at something with such amazing quality that it could render the current market of HDTVs obsolete quickly, or are we talking about something like the difference between 720p/1080i--something that makes a good argument between owners but isn't really a huge difference?[/QUOTE]

I'll get to you on the Samsung, but here's an interesting link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4320p

It seems "impossible" right now but considering how quickly storage space is growing in hard drives and optical media, I can see this format happening in about 5-10 years.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/03/t...tml?ex=1401595200&en=935183cee9a4bd49&ei=5007

But this is the least of it? Do you seriously expect HDMI to stay at 1.3? I don't, and there's barely enough machines out there which support 1.3, so in the coming years you'll see different specs, from HDMI versions to different blu-ray codecs. The end of analog signals will also bring about a few changes as well.

I will take a look at that Samsung, though I will say my preference for these types of TV's is Panasonic, Hitachi, etc. However, I will add...if you want to be absolutely CHEAPASS, here's a MONSTER of a set that supports 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i and has one HDMI input. It may be old technology, but it has a versatile scaler, roughly the same image quality of a dlp, and is mind blowing in terms of price to size [seriously, 50 inches for $800, use the $40 coupon, hope for a clearance, and you can get it for right around $700]

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Hita...48043/catOid/-12867/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

I actually know someone that has this set in their living room and it is amazing in terms of picture quality and size, I couldn't believe it was only $800.

[quote name='sarausagi']I'll get to you on the Samsung, but here's an interesting link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4320p

It seems "impossible" right now but considering how quickly storage space is growing in hard drives and optical media, I can see this format happening in about 5-10 years.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/03/technology/circuits/03next.html?ex=1401595200&en=935183cee9a4bd49&ei=5007

But this is the least of it? Do you seriously expect HDMI to stay at 1.3? I don't, and there's barely enough machines out there which support 1.3, so in the coming years you'll see different specs, from HDMI versions to different blu-ray codecs. The end of analog signals will also bring about a few changes as well.

I will take a look at that Samsung, though I will say my preference for these types of TV's is Panasonic, Hitachi, etc. However, I will add...if you want to be absolutely CHEAPASS, here's a MONSTER of a set that supports 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i and has one HDMI input. It may be old technology, but it has a versatile scaler, roughly the same image quality of a dlp, and is mind blowing in terms of price to size [seriously, 50 inches for $800, use the $40 coupon, hope for a clearance, and you can get it for right around $700]

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Hitachi-51-CRT-Projection-HD-Monitor-51F59/sem/rpsm/oid/148043/catOid/-12867/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

I actually know someone that has this set in their living room and it is amazing in terms of picture quality and size, I couldn't believe it was only $800.[/quote]

151 pounds! Well, that is a downgrade from my RCA's 175 or so. If my wife's main reason for wanting a new television was a thinner television, I'd be all over that one you recommended. Looks fantastic.

Interesting article about the UHDV. I had no clue that the original HD started being developed back in the 60's.

As for now, it looks like I may just be going for a DLP in my price range this summer. Thanks for all your help, and if you get a chance to look at that Samsung I linked, please let me know what you think.

I don't know if you care anymore, but I just bought a 32" Komodo Sceptre from Microcenter for 500. I'm too lazy to send the link but they also have another decent brand for the same price. I've had the TV for two weeks and I love it!

OP, I understand your fear of Olevias, but let me make a point. I have both a 427v and 437v, and I can tell you the processor that the 437v uses is LIGHTYEARS better than on the 427v. I'm almost pissed off that I actually have the smaller one. The 37" makes my Ps2 games and SDTV look very clean, while Ps2 games are nearly unplayable on my 27" (I just use it for the Wii). I don't know if I have an anomaly, but I am really, really happy with the 437v. I snagged it for 599 when I price matched that 1-day deal from CompUSA at OfficeDepot.

My advice: Be patient. I waited about 3 months to get a decent deal on a larger HDTV.

In case anyone is interested Consumer Reports gives Olevia's their best buy award.

Applies to LCD models 542i (42 inch), 537H (37 inch), and 532H (32 inch).

Shame, I'm tempted to get one, but I'm really liking Costco's policies and they dont sell Olevia, Vizio is their budget model.

bread's done
Back