Where to import Japanese games

Vinny

CAGiversary!
Feedback
216 (100%)
What's a good site to import Japanese games? I've used Play-Asia before but I don't know if I'm paying too much there. I've been meaning to import Okami HD, but not sure if Play-Asia's price is the best I can find (since the game's MSRP over there was something around $40 anyway).

And in an unrelated note, is there a way to find out if a Japanese game offers English voice overs or subtitles? I saw that Okami HD on Play-Asia is listed as having English subtitles but do that do that for every game?

I've wondered the same thing, and there really isnt many options that sell japanese games any cheaper than any other. I have however found an alternative, but it requires some waiting to capitalize on it. The alternative is a site something like CAG but has less emphasis on trading, and more discussion based topics. It does have a trade forum, but as noted you got to wait.....90 days to be exactly, and in that forum you have the option to trade directly with japanese people who may have the games you'd want.

The site in question is www.Gaijingamers.com

Really depends how long you want to wait, or if you think you can work around that restriction for the trade forum.

I've used JapanVideoGames in the past to buy Initial D Extreme Stage. Contact with the folks who own the store/site is efficient. Unfortunately, I don't see Okami HD listed on their site (except for an R2 Wii version). In fact, their selection is so-so. It seems they have more stock of newer releases only.

Considering that Japanese games are costlier than American games, and the exchange rate is not helping, Play-Asia and etc are your best bet for new import games. Used games on the other hand should be pretty easier on the wallet for you.

^^^I'm gonna give props to ncsx for one reason, and one reason only. Cause from what I experienced with them is if a game reaches a greatest hits, platinum collection (xbox 360), or any other related status then ncsx usually drops the price a bit. I remember importing Onechanbara Vortex for the xbox 360 from them before it was localized here, and got the japanese game cheaper than its Bikini Samurai Squad counter part that was localized here new when it first hit our shores. That was with shipping also. Our localization of that game originally cost $29.99 new when it was first released here. When I got the original japanese version I bought the platinum collection version of it and got it for just under $25, and as stated that was with shipping.

So you might not be able to find the game you mentioned for cheap OP, but if you were interested in other games then digging through ncsx a bit might pay off for you.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Considering that Japanese games are costlier than American games, and the exchange rate is not helping, Play-Asia and etc are your best bet for new import games. Used games on the other hand should be pretty easier on the wallet for you.[/QUOTE]

Based on the prices at Play Asia, Yes Asia, and NCSX... yeah, Play-Asia does seem like the best option. Their price is the lowest. But maybe I'll wait. It's hard to justify $25 more just for a physical copy. Maybe it'll go on sale on PSN or something. It doesn't seem like a game that'll suddenly sell out either.

Thanks for the help guys.

My recommendations

New Games

Carinso @ Bonzana.com: Inexpensive new releases (especially if you buy the Asian versions for PS3 titles), tracking & insurance from Hong Kong to US for only $6. Recommended!

Ami Ami English : Prices similar to Play Asia and the like, but if you pre-order, there are often bonuses given with new release titles. They also stock Asian versions and also have a sale tab that's worth checking out as well (if a game bombs in Japan, it will be on sale here more than likely)

Solaris Japan : Good for both new releases & for retro as well. They specialize in XRGB upscalers and RGB cables, along with OSTs & other rarefied game items...

Well, there is always tenso.com.

Otherwise, Play Asia, Yes Asia, NCSX are the ones I have used.

With eBay's new policies, and it being from Asia (the products you want), I would not touch eBay with any pole.

I usually use amazon.co.jp for Japanese games and forward the packages to tenso^
It's probably best to wait until tenso has one of their seasonal promotions for 1000 yen shipping since their service fee is expensive like every other forwarding service.

Amazon japan usually gives you a better price compared to other retailers, you could also try Rakuten, they sell new and used games but the english on the site is directly translate using an online engine so it's always weird.
http://global.rakuten.com/en/

bread's done
Back