WHere will I get better deal on Vizio?

venom509

CAGiversary!
Okay, I get confused calculating in percentages.. So..

I want to buy a 32 inch Vizio.

At walmart is costs $358.00 and the 3 year protection plan is $44.33.

At costco it costs $359.99 and a 2 year protection is included.
Now, I want to know the total cost plus taxes for both stores. But, my brother works at walmart so he gets 10 percent discount on anything he buys. Where will I get a better deal?

Thanks, sorry if it makes no sense.

lol

nevermind..
Walmart will be 2 more dollars. But will include one more year of warranty if I purchase it.

close please

At costco, If you buy it with their american express, you would get another year warranty through vizio and could just pay it off right away. So then you'd get 3 years total, and the 90 day "whatever, it clashed with the decor" return policy.

Skip the extended warranty and save yourself the math headache. If you're not confident such an expensive item will last two or three years, you shouldn't be buying it to begin with. Just my thoughts on extended warranties that so many people on CAG keep saying are essential.

[quote name='salty tbone']Skip the extended warranty and save yourself the math headache. If you're not confident such an expensive item will last two or three years, you shouldn't be buying it to begin with. Just my thoughts on extended warranties that so many people on CAG keep saying are essential.[/QUOTE]
Agreed. I never buy service contracts period (huge waste of money), but on a $350 tv? That's just silly.

[quote name='salty tbone']Skip the extended warranty and save yourself the math headache. If you're not confident such an expensive item will last two or three years, you shouldn't be buying it to begin with. Just my thoughts on extended warranties that so many people on CAG keep saying are essential.[/QUOTE]My TV that was just replaced under extended warranty after 18 months (6 months into its extended warranty) would say otherwise.

[quote name='shrike4242']My TV that was just replaced under extended warranty after 18 months (6 months into its extended warranty) would say otherwise.[/QUOTE]
One tv. How much did the tv cost? How much have you spent on service contracts over the years? Maybe the math works this one time, but on the whole service contracts are a big loser for the consumer.

I've saved thousands by not buying service contracts (I'm including cars), and other than my 360 (natch) I've never had anything fail outright within the first few years of ownership. Beyond that, I'm usually ready for an upgrade anyway. If some gadget had failed...well, I have the money to replace that statistical outlier.

[quote name='shrike4242']My TV that was just replaced under extended warranty after 18 months (6 months into its extended warranty) would say otherwise.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. I'm glad it worked out for you, and if buying a service plan is worth it for people's piece of mind then go for it. But as far as a strictly financial move, service plans are not a good buy. Why else do you think retailers push so hard to sell them? Because they're looking out for you?
No. Because they make a ton of money on them.

[quote name='Allnatural']One tv. How much did the tv cost? How much have you spent on service contracts over the years? Maybe the math works this one time, but on the whole service contracts are a big loser for the consumer.

I've saved thousands by not buying service contracts (I'm including cars), and other than my 360 (natch) I've never had anything fail outright within the first few years of ownership. Beyond that, I'm usually ready for an upgrade anyway. If some gadget had failed...well, I have the money to replace that statistical outlier.[/QUOTE]The TV was around $2300, and I spent $350 on the service contract for three years. It was used up with the repair, and I received $1750 back on the "comparable replacement value" of the TV they would have replaced it with. Plus, I retained the TV and I'm selling it to a friend for a cheap price, since they didn't want the old TV back, and the issue is one that fades over time and isn't noticeable. So, I'm covering most of the cost of the initial TV purchase with the money spent on the extended warranty.

Had the repair been one that wasn't $5K for the repair if they did it, I'd still have it under warranty.

It's a simple matter to figure out if the initial cost of the warranty on the off-chance it'll break in the timeframe of the warranty is worth spending versus dealing with the repair/replacement in the same timeframe.

[quote name='salty tbone']Fair enough. I'm glad it worked out for you, and if buying a service plan is worth it for people's piece of mind then go for it. But as far as a strictly financial move, service plans are not a good buy. Why else do you think retailers push so hard to sell them? Because they're looking out for you?
No. Because they make a ton of money on them.[/QUOTE]It was making a small money expense against the possibility of future repairs at my cost. With the increase of technology they're putting in a large TV these days, it's almost crazy not to buy one on the off chance it fails outside the warranty period.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='shrike4242']it's almost crazy not to buy one on the off chance it fails outside the warranty period.[/QUOTE]

OK, you win. You are smarter than me.

You're the exception, not the rule. The chances of the items failing and giving you back your money's worth are slim. I feel like an idiot for having paid for the extended maintenance for my car. It's been 1.5 years out of the 2 so far and nothing other than an oil change and changing a rear brake pad has been covered. That's $300 tops at a local BMW shop. The $2.2k that was put into the warranty definitely didn't do anything for me. Good to know that the warranty did work out for you, though.

OP, skip Wal-mart. Wal-mart is one of the worst stores to ever be shopping at. Save your $2 and go to Costco. You'll most likely never use that warranty anyway.

[quote name='DarkRider23']You're the exception, not the rule. The chances of the items failing and giving you back your money's worth are slim. I feel like an idiot for having paid for the extended maintenance for my car. It's been 1.5 years out of the 2 so far and nothing other than an oil change and changing a rear brake pad has been covered. That's $300 tops at a local BMW shop. The $2.2k that was put into the warranty definitely didn't do anything for me. Good to know that the warranty did work out for you, though.

OP, skip Wal-mart. Wal-mart is one of the worst stores to ever be shopping at. Save your $2 and go to Costco. You'll most likely never use that warranty anyway.[/QUOTE]I know I'm the exception on the extended warranty situation than the rule.

My last car's extended warranty easily saved me $4K-$5K in its lifespan, since it started having some repeated issues in the last 25K-30K miles of the warranty.

Most of the time, it's money you don't see any return on, other times, you end up having it save you money.

Back to the OP, I concur about Costco for picking up the TV between Walmart and Costco. Chances are for a TV of that price point, if it dies in two years, you're covered and after that point, there's enough that's changed to warranty upgrading it for a better model.

Alright!
I'll see this tomorrow or next weekend. Since the tv I wanna get is 23$ off right now.

Also, HDMI cables. Does it matter which one I get?
Can I buy a third-party one and still get the same quality, or do official brand make it look more better?

[quote name='venom509']Alright!
I'll see this tomorrow or next weekend. Since the tv I wanna get is 23$ off right now.

Also, HDMI cables. Does it matter which one I get?
Can I buy a third-party one and still get the same quality, or do official brand make it look more better?[/QUOTE]

Yes, they are all the same. You can get them online for as low as a dollar usually.

I wanna know which TV is being considered. My kid's old SDTV just comitted suicice (the shelf it was sitting on fell >.>), so I'm looking for something the OP is looking at. Anyone have a link?

I never buy extended warranty on any of my electronic. I make sure the stuff I buy will last more than the warranty period that comes with it. If it doesn't then I don't see the point of buying something that will break right after the warranty expires. And if I was to buy something like that it will be a good lesson for me to stay away from that brand. Anyhow for more expensive products like bigger HDTV ($1000+) it is essential to have that just in case since those cost more to fix and replace. That's why I have bought all my HDTV at costco for the free 2 years warranty. I would say go with costo on buying TV in the OP case.

[quote name='JuicemanJM']Yes, they are all the same. You can get them online for as low as a dollar usually.[/QUOTE]
monoprice.com.

bread's done
Back