Where's cheapest place for ipod?

I really don't think there is a good deal on them. Just yet. I say just keep paying attention to the weekly ADs.. something will eventually pop up.. hopefully. Or go get a part time job at a retailer that sells it. You can get probably 10% off (or more..depends on who the retailer is)

You've made some extra money, you got your iPod cheaper.. and now you quit. ^_^
The End.

Everyone keep in mind that there's a CLASS ACTION suit in the making against Apple regarding fraud and breach of warranty regarding the iPods. Several suits have alreayd been filed in Calrifornia and they are looking to consolidate. Apparently, Apple purposefully uses low grade batteries that fail after 12 to 18 months so that you must go back to them for replacements. This would require you to pay Apple another $99 to replace the proprietary battery. Just keep in mind before you buy. iPods are, in my opinion, overpriced and underpowered, plus now you know they have a shoddy product too. Sure they look great, but do you want to pay that much money and risk battery failure in a year?

Here's some info:
http://www.macobserver.com/article/2004/02/10.6.shtml

Here's an interesting article on some dead battery issues:
http://comment.zdnet.co.uk/rupertgoodwins/0,39020691,39119035-1,00.htm

You can buy a new battery for $49 from ipodbattery.com

iPods are the best mp3 player on the market, and are well worth the price.

I just wanted to make everyone aware. Many people buy the iPod for its looks. Which is fine, because that's what sells. But since everyone here is tech savy, I wanted to make sure everyone understands the risks involved and the fact that Apple has only recently allowed spare batteries to be sold, particularly in response to these lawsuits. But how many years did it take? And how much money did they make with expensive replacements (they used to be over $200 for a replacement)? I have nothing against the iPod, I think it's a fine machine. Although, I do believe that it is overpriced, particularly in comparison to all the other terrific hard drive MP3 players out there priced at a fraction of the iPod price.

Be a smart consumer. I know you all are since you're on this board. Investigate it fully and determine for yourself if its worth the risk for such an expensive product. Ask yourself, what is it that I'm getting from the iPod that I'm not getting from other MP3 players that makes it worth the extra money and the risk of battery failure? And do I really want to reward Apple for misleading consumers? :?:

I gotta defend the iPod here. The battery thing is blown way out of proportion. It's only an issue if you use your iPod constantly, for 12 to 18 months, charging it and discharging it. They use the highest quality batteries availiable, within reason. They couldn't have known about the battery dying because the problem takes 12 to 18 months to manifest itself, and if they wanted to make money off replacing the battery, they would have offered that service from the start. Battery info.

Trust me, the iPod is the only MP3 player that I can recommend, and I've had quite a few. I bought cheaper ones, only to have them break or suck or just not work as advertised. Their batteries, which are often shit AA rechargables, lose charge ability in less than a year, not to mention have lower overall charge time. iPods are great. iTunes is great. All the other ones, like the Nomads and the Archos, they have bad interfaces and worse syncing software. The iPod is a class act. Only thing I can complain about is that the battery life could be better. Eight hours is alright, though, and since it charges when I plug it into my computer with Firewire, I really can't complain.

Also, you can get an educational discount on all Apple products if you're enrolled at a university.

It's OK to like the iPod. I'm just asking everyone to be a smart consumer. The original replacement fee for the iPod battery was over $200. Check out www.ipodsdirtylittlesecret.com. So they did start this from the beginning. And any company that does not test their products for battery wear, particularly one that relies on the battery so much for its functionality, is not a company I would want to buy from.

I've owned many MP3 players as well, both hard drive and flash based. The iPod has a terrific interface. iTunes is very easy to use. But I don't find it that much easier than the Napster, the Dell, the Archos, the Nomad or the RCA Lyra. And it certainly wasn't worth the extra $100 premium I paid to have an iPod. I've never encountered problems with any of the MP3 players, including the iPod. I just want everyone to be a well-informed and smart consumer.

So just remember, think about it first and consider what is most important to you, before you buy. Is it worth the premium in cost and the risk of a shoddy battery? Don't just buy it because others say it's "cool" or the "best". Peer pressure went out in the 80's.

As a side note, a couple "shit" AA rechargeable batteries can be replaced for under $5 at the local electronics store (or any store for that matter). So even if they burnt in a year, that would not be an issue. And the other MP3 player companies would not benefit in any way from that. Aside from the point, not many MP3 players use AA rechargeables anymore.

Also, do you really think that five people would file lawsuits against Apple if they're problem was merely "blown out of proportion"? I'm an attorney and I certainly can guarantee that its usually a lot more trouble than its worth.

Please, all I'm asking is everyone consider the facts before they buy. Know what you're buying. That's the reason why you're reading the posts on this board to begin with, so don't let it end here.

Thanks.

my school sold 20GB ipods for $220, it was a spring time sale and only had a few. But it's a great price, if your in college see if you book store sells them. Apple gives a nice student discount if you buy though your school.

My new mp3 player should be delivered tomorrow...didn't go with the ipod, rather with an iriver hdd mp3 player....virutally same size as ipod, with 2x the battery life (16hrs vs. 8hrs.) and more features, and the reviews I've seen were in 'editor's choice' range. if anyone's interested, i can give a review tomorrow when I get it!

[quote name='pinatamonkey']My new mp3 player should be delivered tomorrow...didn't go with the ipod, rather with an iriver hdd mp3 player....virutally same size as ipod, with 2x the battery life (16hrs vs. 8hrs.) and more features, and the reviews I've seen were in 'editor's choice' range. if anyone's interested, i can give a review tomorrow when I get it![/quote]

NICE CHOICE!
I almost got an iriver, but then I decided that I'm too clumsy and I probably won't get to use it as much as I'd like to...

Reading one more review won't hurt though.. Go for it!

When you buy iPod you;re paying for a designer product thats the only justification for the price in my opinion, battery or no battery its way over priced.

I suppose while people are offering suggestion I'll toss up the Rio Karma as a suggestion as well, 20 gig with ogg playback, fits nicely into your palm or pocket, I've had one since before xmas and it hasnt let me down yet.

Plus they;re talking about a new version coming soon with a color screen that could mean a price drop for the current version soon which I biught for about $275.

i think mp3 player prices should b going down soon (maybe in the next few months) cause my opinion on this is that the market is almost saturated. mp3 players were new a few years back and they have steadily grown and now become mainstream. so many people have already bought ipods and other mp3 players that i doubt the companies can continue on these price tags for too long. im just gonna wait for a price drop even though i too really want a hdd mp3 player.

The iPod is possibly one of the most well-manufactured MP3 players on the market. Anyone claiming that you're only paying for the brand has little to no knowledge of industrial design and user interface. You think a Mercedes E320 costs more than a Toyota Corolla just because of the silver hood ornament?

The highest quality battery my ass! Lithium Ion is cheap...They use it because IT IS CHEAP and it doesnt power the device properally. Lithium Polymer is where its at. The iRiver ihp-120, Rio Karma and RCA Lyra are great and exceed the iPod in everyway other than looks and the Dell DJ is just as good as the iPod at half its cost.

bread's done
Back