Which big-name store will go under next? (CC pays 2:1)

[quote name='Jeoff']Since they've trimmed back the number of Suncoasts and FYEs it seems like there are more people in the remaining stores (Suncoast at least.) Whoever is in charge of the Suncoast chain really has no idea what he's doing though so I wouldn't be surprised if they went under. I still buy anime and toys there when they're on sale/clearance.

K-Mart is a horrible store. Worse quality, selection, and prices than ANY of the big retail stores. They have no niche in the market and if they hadn't merged with Sears they'd be gone by now. Peak shopping hours you might see 15-20 cars in the parking lot...I don't see how they're not bleeding money.[/quote]

Suncoast does have some cool stuff, but i hardly ever buy any of it.

K-Mart is a sad store, They have so much potential, but I think my local Dollar General getts more traffic!!

[quote name='Sinnbox']Suncoast does have some cool stuff, but i hardly ever buy any of it.

K-Mart is a sad store, They have so much potential, but I think my local Dollar General getts more traffic!![/quote]

I refuse to go to K-Mart anymore because if I ever want something I have to end up standing around for 5 minutes waiting for someone to open the video game case, and that is only if by some stroke of sheer luck there is a person actually in the electronics section and I don't have to go search for someone.

Now Sears Grand? I love that store. They have awesome clearances. It's like a combo K-Mart-Sears. Great store (at least the one by me is)

Edit: I guess refuse is to strong of a word. When they had those great clearances last year I went in them.

[quote name='gareman']why would you say such a thing!?! Target is awesome. Quality products at decent prices, and great at clearance. Not to mention, they have really good charity policies.

I would say Circuit City. I don't even have one in my area, but the few I have been into were empty with customers and cluttered with products.

Oddly enough, my city-wide free social newspaper's best of 2007 issue had CC as its most wanted retail store in the area...by quite a large margin.[/quote]

I say that after working at one for over 7 months including the entire holiday season...terribly traumatizing experience :cry:.

[quote name='schuerm26']I refuse to go to K-Mart anymore because if I ever want something I have to end up standing around for 5 minutes waiting for someone to open the video game case, and that is only if by some stroke of sheer luck there is a person actually in the electronics section and I don't have to go search for someone.

Now Sears Grand? I love that store. They have awesome clearances. It's like a combo K-Mart-Sears. Great store (at least the one by me is)

Edit: I guess refuse is to strong of a word. When they had those great clearances last year I went in them.[/quote]

You think waiting 5 minutes is bad? Try waiting around for 25 or 30 minutes and then come back and complain. Of course, if there's something I want out of the case, I will stand there till Doomsday if need be. But I guess on CAG I'm the rare exception anymore, since everyone on here lately seems so damned impatient.

If you can't wait 5 or so minutes to have the case opened for a PC or to buy a game, then buy them at full price.

[quote name='crystalklear64']I hope its not RadioShack. Thats where I get all my DIY electronics parts.[/quote]

I get a lot from them, but Fry's has supplemented them and they really go well together. Just the other day I picked up something small I need to fix my DVD player that only they carried. Radioshack is my go to store for small items like wires and such. It's sort of the car parts store of the electronics world.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Does it need to be a retail store? If so, I'm going with FYE.

If not, I'm going with Krispie Kreme. They have been doing terribly for quite a while now...[/quote]

Krispy Kreme has pulled itself around and is doing well out here at least.

[quote name='Warner1281']Add Hollywood Video to the list. I give them 1.5 years.[/quote]

Never. I hope they stay around longer than that. i love my Hollywood Video and it would be sorely missed. Also, outside of the two stores they closed (one that my HV alleges should not have been by corporate, but they both didn't have GC attached and we're in crappy areas so maybe that's why), most in Vegas do extremely well. The store by me pulls in more than enough every week to keep it afloat, and this is without including the Gamecrazy sales. Too bad that there's a lot of competition in the area, so this particular store's gamecrazy has seen a bit of a decline due to the Gamestop and Play-N-Trade down the street. The GS sucks huge balls and I haven't shopped there in forever, but Play-N-Trade is phenomenal.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You think waiting 5 minutes is bad? Try waiting around for 25 or 30 minutes and then come back and complain. Of course, if there's something I want out of the case, I will stand there till Doomsday if need be. But I guess on CAG I'm the rare exception anymore, since everyone on here lately seems so damned impatient.

If you can't wait 5 or so minutes to have the case opened for a PC or to buy a game, then buy them at full price.[/quote]

They don't make'm like us ol' timey CAGs anymore.;)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You think waiting 5 minutes is bad? Try waiting around for 25 or 30 minutes and then come back and complain. Of course, if there's something I want out of the case, I will stand there till Doomsday if need be. But I guess on CAG I'm the rare exception anymore, since everyone on here lately seems so damned impatient.

If you can't wait 5 or so minutes to have the case opened for a PC or to buy a game, then buy them at full price.[/quote]

Wow, did you even read the post? I just stated that I will go there when they do the clearance, other than that it is ridiculous, and as stated for anything but clearances.

And 2ndly I highly highly doubt you would wait 25-30 minutes for anything but clearance titles (even then I highly doubt you just stand around the electronics for that long, hint, go find someone), and as I stated that is the rare exception to me going to Kmart.

I ONLY buy clearanced or sale items at Kmart and I suspect the rest of the people shopping at kmart do the same, unless they are incredibly stupid. They often price merchandise several dollars over what the competition does. For christmas they had their entire toy dept. priced well over the competition, but after christmas the prices magically got lowered to their normal retail price points, what a scam! No other store did that here, they all kept normal price points for toys, or lower to compete with amazon. The only reason Kmart is still around here is because I live in a border city and the canadians for some reason just flock to Kmart. There is going to be a super walmart opening up in my town though (they already broke ground on it), that will have everything so I am sure kmart will be gone after that happens. They also closed another Kmart store near me, so this one is bound to go next. Kmart is a sad store, I am really sorry I have to say this, but all the employees are old hags, in a literate sense. They have worked at kmart for decades and look like they have. They probably live in the store for all I know.

Usually if you go on a weekend there is someone working electronics, so its not hard to get someone to open the case, on other days its a crapshoot though, there is usually no one. Although there really should be more than one person working in electronics as often multiple people need help and one employee cannot serve everyone at the same time. The shoppers are really rude about this too, and they will cut in front of you and try to get the employees attention before you can even say boo to them to get your game out of the case.

[quote name='schuerm26']Wow, did you even read the post? I just stated that I will go there when they do the clearance, other than that it is ridiculous, and as stated for anything but clearances.

And 2ndly I highly highly doubt you would wait 25-30 minutes for anything but clearance titles (even then I highly doubt you just stand around the electronics for that long, hint, go find someone), and as I stated that is the rare exception to me going to Kmart.[/quote]

Actually, my local Kmart has been getting better at having someone stick to electronics 90-95% of the time anymore, which makes my wait usually UNDER 5 minutes, though I will admit I was annoyed by some of the wait times.

And I have walked all around electronics before while waiting for someone and if after 15-20 minutes there didn't seem to be anyone around, I WOULD go find someone or ask the people at the customer service desk to send someone down to electronics. While 90% of the time it was for clearance titles, there were other times when I needed a DVD out of a case they had them locked in that required me to wait till they opened them up.

I'm a very patient person though, unlike MANY I'm seeing on here anymore, who find that waiting longer than the time it takes for them to draw one full breath is too long.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Actually, my local Kmart has been getting better at having someone stick to electronics 90-95% of the time anymore, which makes my wait usually UNDER 5 minutes, though I will admit I was annoyed by some of the wait times.

And I have walked all around electronics before while waiting for someone and if after 15-20 minutes there didn't seem to be anyone around, I WOULD go find someone or ask the people at the customer service desk to send someone down to electronics. While 90% of the time it was for clearance titles, there were other times when I needed a DVD out of a case they had them locked in that required me to wait till they opened them up.

I'm a very patient person though, unlike MANY I'm seeing on here anymore, who find that waiting longer than the time it takes for them to draw one full breath is too long.[/quote]

Well, I don't think expecting quick service is to much to ask since the workers are getting paid to do it. Do I mind waiting? No, but there is a line where it becomes a bit ridiculous.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']
Krispy Kreme has pulled itself around and is doing well out here at least.[/quote]

Maybe in your area, but that's certainly not an indicator of the entire company as a whole.

You do realize that their stock has gone from $11.49 a share, to now $3.05 in less than a years time right?

There is nothing they can do to stop that sinking ship. Overexpansion has eaten them alive.

[quote name='Josef']Believe it or not, Circuit City actually posted a profit last quarter![/quote]

A 4.85 million dollar profit on revenue of 3.65 billion is hardly something to cheer about, especially when that's during the busiest quarter of the year for electronics purchases. The stock is still below $4.

"Looking to the first quarter, Circuit City expects a loss from continuing operations before income taxes of $180 million to $195 million, vs. a year-ago loss of $82.5 million."

There is little that can save them at this point.

[quote name='plasticbathmonki']FYE or Radioshack...is KBToys still around???[/QUOTE]

Yeah, KB Toys is still around, but it's become the discount alternative toy store instead of trying to compete with Toys R Us, Wal-Mart and K-Mart on toy sales. They had stopped carrying videogames, but apparently they do carry crappy budget titles for PS2, PSP and GBA. They are also charging $40 for the Sega Master System plug-and-play for some strange reason.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Toys R Us yet. Their prices aren't great and their selection isn't that much better than the competition. Walmart came in and pulled the rug out from under them.

[quote name='schuerm26']Well, I don't think expecting quick service is to much to ask since the workers are getting paid to do it. Do I mind waiting? No, but there is a line where it becomes a bit ridiculous.[/quote]

But, FIVE MINUTES is 'ridiculous'? Seriously? Most of the Kmarts around here now have ample people running their electronics departments now, so the wait time is more like a minute or two most times(for me), so it's no longer an issue for me.

When I go out of town though, forget about it, it can sometimes take 20-25 minutes just to find someone and then they have to take another 5-10 minutes to find the keys.

Most stores nowadays employ people who work in EVERY department though, not just one person who is working specifically electronics, so that may also be part of the problem with wait times at Kmart.

[quote name='radjago']I'm surprised no one has mentioned Toys R Us yet. Their prices aren't great and their selection isn't that much better than the competition. Walmart came in and pulled the rug out from under them.[/QUOTE]

I'm always shocked to see the number of cars in the parking lots of TRUs I go to. I don't know how they do it.

EDIT: I would like to see Circuit City go under. I do not shop there. Its dark, unorganized and hard to find stuff, and the employees suck.

EDIT2: I don't know how FYE stay in business. Their prices are absolutely horrible.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']But, FIVE MINUTES is 'ridiculous'? Seriously? Most of the Kmarts around here now have ample people running their electronics departments now, so the wait time is more like a minute or two most times(for me), so it's no longer an issue for me. [/QUOTE]

Yeah last time I tried to get something out of the case at Kmart after waiting for like 20 minutes I got customer service to try to find someone and they had to call over the loudspeaker like three times before someone showed up. Nothing compared to Walmart though, I went in there recently to pick up a couple of games, and when I asked the one guy working the electronics section he said he didn't have the keys. Didn't attempt to call anyone or anything, just went right back to standing around aimlessly. About a half hour later the guy with keys showed up back from his break or whatever the hell he was doing. I don't understand why the keys to video game cases would ever be taken out of the electronics section, but whatever.

[quote name='radjago']I'm surprised no one has mentioned Toys R Us yet. Their prices aren't great and their selection isn't that much better than the competition. Walmart came in and pulled the rug out from under them.[/quote]

TRU has excellent management right now. I remember seeing, and then reading, about their current CEO on CNBC. The guy really seems to be on his game and understand the marketplace, even with Walmart in it.

Radioshack won't go under because they cater to the DIYers. Well I sure hope they don't otherwise I don't know where I'll get my stuff.

Yes but Toys R Us caters to the ever lucrative parents with kids market, so I don't think they will go under anytime soon. Also, they are really the only store that specializes in toys. I don't know of another all-toy store here except for KB and they are a joke and don't have the most current merchandise like TRU does, if anything they carry a lot of overpriced, outdated merchandise. So when people need a toy they automatically think Toys R us and go there for it. I don't think gift giving toy buyers which is the market TRU caters to, are looking for the best price, they just want the toy and they want it now for the kids gift.

They also make money selling other stuff, and their Babies R Us stores are huge. The TRU where I live has clothes and a full baby department in it and the R-zone, they also sell other things too. The days when TRU just sold toys is gone now, so the whole store is not toys, at least here.

CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC CC

[quote name='mtxbass1']Maybe in your area, but that's certainly not an indicator of the entire company as a whole.

You do realize that their stock has gone from $11.49 a share, to now $3.05 in less than a years time right?

There is nothing they can do to stop that sinking ship. Overexpansion has eaten them alive.[/quote]

True, but it only needs to begin in one area to spread to the rest of the company.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']True, but it only needs to begin in one area to spread to the rest of the company.[/quote]

:rofl:

One area of the country isn't going to turn an entire franchise around, especially when most of those stores are franchise stores. That's like saying just because Linen and Things does good business in your area, that they aren't going to file for bankruptcy tomorrow.

(LnT will file for bankruptcy this week btw)

Blockbuster has announced a plan to buy Circuit City at $6-8 a share this morning, according to CNBC.

How is Blockbuster even in a position to do this? They have an old business model, lack of customer service, and constantly raise prices. Thinking about it...they sound just like Circuit City. What a perfect match.

Uggh, I hope Blockbuster out of business TODAY. Blockbuster SUCKS compared to Hollywood, which sadly, is going under. (No more by me. :( ) They charge too much, they have a shitty selection and the customer service is shit. Also, I want K-Mart to go out of business, but I don't want sears to. Sears is the best hardware store around, while K-Mart is modern-day flea market.

I don't mind Circuit City that much, but FYE sucks. I don't see how they haven't gone out of business already.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Blockbuster has announced a plan to buy Circuit City at $6-8 a share this morning, according to CNBC.

How is Blockbuster even in a position to do this? They have an old business model, lack of customer service, and constantly raise prices. Thinking about it...they sound just like Circuit City. What a perfect match.[/quote]

You sure it wasn't Best Buy? I could have sworn I read something and it was Best Buy attempting to buy out CC.

Edit: You're right. Read it wrong I guess.

well whatever store it may be i'll definitely show up for their out of business sale if they have one.
CC i dont ever shop there much, also the one closest to me is very small and just doesnt seem like it has any customers ever of the times i've been there.
So if it does go under i wont miss it.
FYE sucks for me because none of the 3 closest to me sell games anyways.
GAmecrazy i do use tho so i hate to hear that its doing bad.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Blockbuster has announced a plan to buy Circuit City at $6-8 a share this morning, according to CNBC.

How is Blockbuster even in a position to do this? They have an old business model, lack of customer service, and constantly raise prices. Thinking about it...they sound just like Circuit City. What a perfect match.[/quote]

WTF? A video store buying a electronics store, that's weird. Is Blockbuster just asking to bleed money? They'd be better keeping that money and letting CC die a slow death.

[quote name='tangytangerine']WTF? A video store buying a electronics store, that's weird. Is Blockbuster just asking to bleed money? They'd be better keeping that money and letting CC die a slow death.[/quote]

I'd personally have no problem if they both went out of business in one swoop.

[quote name='mtxbass1']I'd personally have no problem if they both went out of business in one swoop.[/quote]

What's the problem with blockbuster? I have never had a problem with the online service and the in-store swaps are nice. If you have gamerushes, most of the time you can find something decent for a much more reasonable price than Gamestop or local stores.

What is your reasoning for wanting Blockbuster gone (or do you just not care one way or the other if they are here or not)?

I would guess FYE, even though there are none around here.

We used to have Sam Goody and On Cue but they all closed down because the prices were so high. (They were owned by the Suncoast/FYE people.)

Outside of a (very rare) sale, I never bought anything in there. I can't see how people shop at these places for their regular priced merchandise.

[quote name='schuerm26']What's the problem with blockbuster? I have never had a problem with the online service and the in-store swaps are nice. If you have gamerushes, most of the time you can find something decent for a much more reasonable price than Gamestop or local stores.

What is your reasoning for wanting Blockbuster gone (or do you just not care one way or the other if they are here or not)?[/quote]

About 400 too many customer service issues honestly. The company is heavily in debt itself and I have no idea how they would even finance a Circuit City buyout. Apparently I'm not the only one who thinks that though.

The fact that they have fucked over so many people with Total Access is probably my number one reason. That, and the fact that they charge $7 to rent a game (if not more). I can buy a game for that much now...

No gamerushes around here unfortunately, but the ones I have been in weren't anything to write home about unless you had some trade in credit.

I'd say radioshack. When i lived in Cali, I went in there to buy a cable or something, only person in the store. They looked HAPPY to see me. Now since i've moved, I WANT to say CC, because I hate them and there horrible deals/prices.. Although, 9.9/10 people here that go in there are dumbass's when it comes to buying tech stuff, so they will pay almost OVER the price for their items, and will agree to everything the crappy employees say. So, I'd say they have got a little longer.

[quote name='Rig']I would guess FYE, even though there are none around here.

We used to have Sam Goody and On Cue but they all closed down because the prices were so high. (They were owned by the Suncoast/FYE people.)

Outside of a (very rare) sale, I never bought anything in there. I can't see how people shop at these places for their regular priced merchandise.[/quote]

There are deals to be had at FYE, if you look for them. For example, I picked up a good condition, complete copy of Futurama for Xbox for $15, when Gamestop wants TWICE that for it. I've also seen numerous last gen titles for UNDER $10 each, though many are long clearanced out at most other stores and you could buy MANY cheaper(even if it means going to AssRapeStop).

I never really liked Sam Goody, since they were just as bad as FYE/Transworld on the prices.

However, their trade deals and trade values are usually pretty good(if you check Wherehouse.com first for a rough estimate of the value) and they HAVE pennied some guides before(Psi-Ops, for one, GTA Double Pack(PS2 version) for another), so they are just like the other retailers. You need to look to find the deals, not just expect them to be right out in front of you.

[quote name='BIG5']Walmart. Nobody ever shops there. They stay open all night just hoping someone will come in.[/quote]serious?My walmart is freaking busy all the time.At night it's pretty dead but it's a convinience since I always rememer to get some stuff at night and I work right next to a walmart.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']There are deals to be had at FYE, if you look for them. For example, I picked up a good condition, complete copy of Futurama for Xbox for $15, when Gamestop wants TWICE that for it. I've also seen numerous last gen titles for UNDER $10 each, though many are long clearanced out at most other stores and you could buy MANY cheaper(even if it means going to AssRapeStop).

I never really liked Sam Goody, since they were just as bad as FYE/Transworld on the prices.

However, their trade deals and trade values are usually pretty good(if you check Wherehouse.com first for a rough estimate of the value) and they HAVE pennied some guides before(Psi-Ops, for one, GTA Double Pack(PS2 version) for another), so they are just like the other retailers. You need to look to find the deals, not just expect them to be right out in front of you.[/quote]

Again, I was only assuming FYE was similar to On Cue/Sam Goody, since they are under the same company. (And those stores almost never had sales. The only good time to shop in there was when they were closing down.)

Those two stores never really had many games/guides, and I'm pretty sure they didn't do any trade deals. FYE must be different in that regard.

One On Cue and three Sam Goody's closed down around here fairly quickly after their openings, and it was due to them being way overpriced.

fye used to have some great trade in deals, and often have rebate for hardware. Too bad their new selection is usually crap.

Target is doing tony the tiger great and won't close anytime soon. CC will merge with Blockbuster and CC has been playing with Used stuff in some markets, that could save them! Radio Shack sucks but still does very well! It has nothing to do with who's in the store, most of these places and web sites and use drop ship for selling stuff, so they are open 24 hours and dont have to store the items being sold! What you guys see in the "store" is half the battle! Kmart is done here in the south so they are next and FYE bought Wherehouse music about 2 years ago so they might not close up shop but close some stores then make bigger stores from all the inventory!

In canada there's Zellers that is doomed. In my area, they still had PS1 accessories back a year ago. It's good to get quick-goners, but they still suck, a lot.

bread's done
Back