Which DDR should I own????

MasterLin1

CAGiversary!
I wanna get DDR at home, but I'm not sure which version to get. I have both xbox and ps2, so its between the ultramix and ddrmax2...

any inputs? also where can I find some cheap pads, and find the games for cheap too? I know DDRmax2 comes with a pad, but I'd like another one for multiplayer.

Definitely get DDR Max and/or Max2. I'd pass on Ultramix, unless you really want it. You have to be precise in hitting the steps and there's even load times for the songs. There's some other sloppy errors that make the game less worthy of attention.

A good idea for getting pads is checking eBay. My bf and I got Max with two pads for about $60 if memory serves. You may find an even better deal now (as this was about a year ago). The third party soft pads are usually around $20. If you are just looking into the cheap pads, a good idea would be to "mod" them with plywood and plastic floor covering.

Edit: Here's the modding information for future reference if you decide to go that route. http://www.ddrfreak.com/library/faqs-modding.php

DDRMAX2 is better overall. But the 4 player mode on ultramix is pretty damn fun. If only you could vary the difficulty between players...

i like the 4th installment. i believe if your a DDR fan. you'll love Beat Master. its import only but easy to find. they also jus released a new dj controller for the ps2.

for those that havnt seen beat master, there was a pc version, i used to have it on my old HD, look for it. its a dj sim where instead of stepping on the keys, you use your .. er.. hands.. but the fun parts is that you can scratch (jockey term).

Throw in another vote for MAX2, overall the best American mix going. If you can go the import route, Party Mix (PS2), is the absolute best overall mix, it covers almost every incarnation of the game.

If you're gonna import, DDR Extreme (JpPS2) all the way!! It has the most songs and the best songs. (We'll see just how good/bad the song selection ends up being for the US release at the end of the summer!)

ultramix is pretty fun via xbox live though, if you have xbox live that is.

the konami pad that comes with the game is pretty good.

the ebay deal that's $60 with 2 pads, those pads really suck unless you tape them down to the floor so it doesn't slip.

[quote name='maxflight']
the ebay deal that's $60 with 2 pads, those pads really suck unless you tape them down to the floor so it doesn't slip.[/quote]

Yeah they're third-party pads. You hafta mod them. Same with the Madcatz pads ($10 at Target YMMV). He asked for cheap pads, and those are great to start out at home on. If he plays a lot at home, he can decide later to get the more expensive pads like the Ignition ($100) or the Cobalt Flux ($300). If you mod the cheap pads, they'll work really good for you for awhile! :)

[quote name='moiety'][quote name='maxflight']
the ebay deal that's $60 with 2 pads, those pads really suck unless you tape them down to the floor so it doesn't slip.[/quote]

Yeah they're third-party pads. You hafta mod them. Same with the Madcatz pads ($10 at Target YMMV). He asked for cheap pads, and those are great to start out at home on. If he plays a lot at home, he can decide later to get the more expensive pads like the Ignition ($100) or the Cobalt Flux ($300). If you mod the cheap pads, they'll work really good for you for awhile! :)[/quote]

yeah, if you don't mod, it's really tough on the half steps.

I wish you and your bf were closer than to NY cuz no one is here to play DDR with me!

Like most people said, Max 2 is the best. It has the most Dancemania songs of any US mix which is something most US DDR games do not have (except DDR USA). This is all preference but I think the Dancemania songs are the best songs in DDR and songs like Ghosts, The Whistle Song, Twilight Zone, In The Navy and Dream a Dream are all great songs.

You want Stepmania or DWI (Both free). You have a computer. Get a Dual Joy Box ps->usb adapter ($15), and two of the Deluxe Dance Mat v2.1 ($35 each, similar pad to the ignition pads that RedOctane Sells, 1/3 the price). Total outlay ($80-90 depending on shipping)

With this you can play any and all songs released in any version of DDR, as well as the gigs and gigs of original made songs that are available out on the net.

If youv'e got XboX live, I'd go with Ultramix, with the ability to downlaod the song packs, it keeps the game fresher longer.

If you want a quality pad, then look at www.redoctane.com for the Ignition 2.0 foam pad. It's 100 bucks, but it works with both the PS 2 and Xbox right out of the packaging. I have noticed that it shifts as I move, but that hasn't made me screw up a song since I unconciously(sp) shift along with it when I'm playing the song. Then after the song is over if I feel I need to, I can simply straighten it back out. No crinkling to worry about with this pad. It's a real nice dance pad overall. You get what you pay for with it. Also of note, RedOctane does occasionally put up refurbs of their dance pads on eBay so if you want to get it a little cheaper check it out. Just be careful as I noticed that there are auctions that advertise as a RedOctane pad, but then in the caption below it, it advertises a different third party pad(MyMyBox for example).

[quote name='MauMauProductions']Red Octane sucks and is over priced.....I cant say this enough.[/quote]

I disagree strongly. I got 3 RedOctane soft pads refurbished for $35 shipped, all but one worked perfectly, and when I called them about it, they sent me another 3 brand new ones, which all work amazingly well. The unbranded pads are the ones which I don't like. And I'm not a fan of any brand of "ignition" pads - the thickness just doesn't feel right to me.

[quote name='MauMauProductions']Red Octane sucks and is over priced.....I cant say this enough.[/quote]

I disagree strongly. I got 3 RedOctane soft pads refurbished for $35 shipped, all but one worked perfectly, and when I called them about it, they sent me another 3 brand new ones, which all work amazingly well. The unbranded pads are the ones which I don't like. And I'm not a fan of any brand of "ignition" pads - the thickness just doesn't feel right to me.

I think Red Octane is way overpriced. Stores like Level Six and Buy N Shop sell the Ignition pad (if you compare the pictures, except for the logos on the pad, they are identical) for half the price.

The regular Red Octane pad didn't work well for me at all. I got a brand new pad from their trade in program (they got rid of the program) and it only lasted 3 months and at the time I was only playing on Basic.

I think that Red Octane pads sell on the name and reputation and Red Octane knows they can charge more because of that.

I know a lot of people don't like Red Octane, in fact on a DDR board I post on, there is even a "Boycott Red Octane" Thread:
http://boards.ign.com/Dance_Dance_Revolution/b5592/56205253/?71

It blows that DDR games never seem to drop in price. I really would like the xbox version but I can never find a good deal on it.

Well I haven't had any problems with my Red Octane yet. Since I never played DDR in the arcade, it wasn't hard at all for me to get used to the softness of the Ignition pad. I guess it's just a personal preference. When I learned about RedOctane, there were several people at another message board that praised it for what it gave you and how it performed. I really don't mind right now since my pad hasn't given me any problems as of yet, and it's sensitivity is right on the mark so if I miss any steps it's cause of my bad dancing ;)

YoshiFan, are those two stores you mentioned B&M only or do they have a website? Because if my RedOctane ever does act up, I want to look into getting a pad from one of those places to compare performance as well as just getting a replacement pad for cheaper.

[quote name='Drizzt']
YoshiFan, are those two stores you mentioned B&M only or do they have a website? Because if my RedOctane ever does act up, I want to look into getting a pad from one of those places to compare performance as well as just getting a replacement pad for cheaper.[/quote]

Website only, the only pads that B&M stores sell are those flimsly thin soft pads. I have heard nothing but good things from both places though.

[quote name='KingDox']It blows that DDR games never seem to drop in price. I really would like the xbox version but I can never find a good deal on it.[/quote]

That's because DDR is a high demand game. Even the old PS1 mixes have gone up in price instead of dropped in price (DDR USA came out at $29.99, now worth around $50, Disney Mix came out at $40, now worth $80 - $120, Konamix came out at $30, now worth $35 - $40).

Maybe once Ultramix 2 comes out Ultramix 1 will drop in price but the price drop won't be big. DDR Max just recently dropped in price to $29.99 from $39.99 and it's been out since Fall 2002.

I got all the DDR games for PS, PS2, and Xbox. With the Xbox version, you could play online. If you have the money, you should get a hard mat. I wish I have a hard mat for my DDR games :( .

bread's done
Back