Which do you like better, Analog or Directional pad?

gokou36

CAGiversary!
Anyone else besides me hate games that make you use the analog pad? I love the gamecube but i HATE how nintendo makes you use the analog and not allowing you to use the directional pad. Even tho the directional pad is on the gamecube, most games i've played on it won't allow you to use the directional pad. I love sony's controller the best, since its almost identical to the SNES controller and they don't *force* you to use the analog. IMO, nintendo screwed their controllers when it made the n64.

Sure the analog is good for certain games, but that doesn't mean its good with every game, especially fighting games. Anyways, how many like analog more than traditional directional pad?

They each have their place. I'd never play a fighting game with an analog, but I'd also hate to play a racing game on a d-pad. Also, menu navigation or games requiring quick turns (Pac Man for example) are better suited to a d-pad.

I prefer the directional pad for fighting games (obviously) and the analog for all others.

Just depends on the situation. I use them both, personally.

Depends on the game, but prefer if they allow you to use either one in the game, so you can use the other if you seem to have problems with one.

yeah the old d-pad is goot for alot of games, didn't the original prototype NGC controllers not have a d-pad ? Then nintendo put out an new demo controller that did have it. I wonder what moron at nintendo thought it would be a good idea to leave off a d-pad from a controller.

All my Korean and Japanese friends play EVERY game with only the D-Pad. They never even touch it. Racing, soccer, fighting, sports, FPS, everything. It's crazy.

normally i like using the d pad because im use to it so much. i use to despise using the analog if it was only set to analog use only but it comes handy in some games so mostly dpad>analog unless im force to use analog

I use the analog sticks for everything except fighting games and menus. In RPGs, I walk around with the stick and do the menu-based combat with the directional pad.

I find it very hard to play Sonic Mega Collection for GC with the analog stick. That little D-Pad sucks, but I just can't play Sonic any other way.

An analog stick brings new control and play mechanics to games not possible with the D pad. Take the way you swing in Tiger Woods for example, way more fun than hitting a combo of buttons. (Which is what you'd have to do if there were no analog stick)

The only real advantage a dpad has over a stick is that it's more durable. (Imagine if the NES had analog sticks, it'd probably be rare to find one with a non-broken stick these days.)

[quote name='wubb']An analog stick brings new control and play mechanics to games not possible with the D pad. Take the way you swing in Tiger Woods for example, way more fun than hitting a combo of buttons. (Which is what you'd have to do if there were no analog stick)

The only real advantage a dpad has over a stick is that it's more durable. (Imagine if the NES had analog sticks, it'd probably be rare to find one with a non-broken stick these days.)[/quote]

Does anybody else remember the inserts you could put on the nes pad that were like sticks? They reminded me of Battleship pegs (worked about as good as one would too :p )

[quote name='Quackzilla']You need both.

Try educating yourselves on how analog and digital input works to find out why.[/quote]

I thought this thread was dead by now. Anyways, apparently YOU need to educate yourself on reading. I said analog is good for some games(depending which) but I hate the fact that nintendo makes their users use analog almost on every game without the option to use the directional pad.

bread's done
Back