Which DS Should I get?

myxyplik

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
OK, here's what I got: a 3-year old DS phatz with a broken hinge (top screen doesn't come loose as long as I'm careful) and a touch screen that doesn't react properly in one corner even after calibration (doesn't affect certain games) and is hard to see outdoors because it's heavily scratched.

I got about 8 DS games and 2 GBA games (3 counting the one I don't play anymore). The only thing that interests me about the DSi is the ability to download from the DS Store. Other than that, it has mostly useless features plus no GBA slot.

So given all this, which DS do you think I should get? Thanks in advance.

I'm in the same sort of boat. I have an old phat DS with a touch screen that doesn't react much in the top right corner (haven't been able to beat Canvas Curse because of it). I think I'm going to wait for the DSi (unless some sweet new limited edition lite bundle comes out). I'll just hold onto my phat DS if I need to play GBA games, or get a cheap used SP so I can also have the ability to play GB and GBC games.

I can't vote. DSi. If you really need to play GBA games (like me), you can get a SP or Mini for cheap (don't get the original). I'm going to keep my lite (the L button doesn't work) for Guitar hero.

Really depends. I think both DSs have their perks.

However, you can use your DSlite as a multimedia device fairly easily if you get R4 type cart and SD card. There's quite a lot going on in the homebrew community actually from art aps to electronic dictionairys. And the GBA library is a big plus too.

I'm not sure what this downloading service is like on the DSi, so that could be a big plus. Wait for more info before you start selling/buying stuff.

It seems kind of pointless to make a decision now. Might as well wait a month for the DSi's Japan release and see how the impressions turn out before deciding whether to go for a Lite or an i.

[quote name='Cao Cao']It seems kind of pointless to make a decision now. Might as well wait a month for the DSi's Japan release and see how the impressions turn out before deciding whether to go for a Lite or an i.[/QUOTE]

That's probably what I'll end up doing since I won't be able to get anything for at least a couple months.

I'm-a have to get a DS of some sort eventually on account of Fire Emblem. With the DSi, the inevitable DS2 probably won't come to North America 'til 2010 at the soonest (unless they do another god damn stupid thing like with the Micro). Personally, I'm gonna go for a Lite rather than a DSi, but I'm not big on the whole "Swiss-army-knife" thing they're trying to do.

Sounds like a DS lite is the way to go for you.

1. You don't seem interested in the extra DSi features.
2. Sounds like you need the GBA slot to some extent.
3. The DSi isn't coming in the US until well into 2009, so you'd have to pay a premium to import one.

Sell that busted Phatty on ebay for a little cash, buy a lite, and if you're way stoked on the DSi when it comes out, you can always sell/trade the Lite in towards one. Otherwise you'll wait almost a year for a functional DS, and probably miss out on a lot of good games until then.

[quote name='johnnypark']Sell that busted Phatty on ebay for a little cash, buy a lite, and if you're way stoked on the DSi when it comes out, you can always sell/trade the Lite in towards one. Otherwise you'll wait almost a year for a functional DS, and probably miss out on a lot of good games until then.[/quote]

He won't miss out on those games if he buys them while waiting on DSi. That's what I am doing at the moment with PS3. I already know I'll buy the system when it drops to like $150, so I'll buy up the PS3 games till then.

[quote name='laaj']He won't miss out on those games if he buys them while waiting on DSi. That's what I am doing at the moment with PS3. I already know I'll buy the system when it drops to like $150, so I'll buy up the PS3 games till then.[/QUOTE]

That seems kind of silly. Games only get cheaper as time goes on. Better to wait and buy them when you have the console unless you see super deals in the mean time.

And people still miss out on games. Online communities die down, so you lose that if you care. And unless you game a fucking ton, buying a console late in the generation and you just don't have time to play all the games before the next round of consoles are out. Of course, I guess that is moot if you wait until late in every generation to take the plunge as you can just keep playing last gen games into the future generation.

bread's done
Back