Which edition of Batman: Year One is the best?

KHASN

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I'm pretty new to the graphic novel/comic book scene. I've been trying to read more, and amazon happened to recommend this to me.
Unfortunately there's like 6 editions of this book, and I have no idea what the differences are and which edition to buy. BTW What the heck is library binding, and why would I need it?

Feel free to recommend your favorite graphic novels. I've had people tell me that I should pick up Hush, The Killing Joke, and Year Three.

UPDATE: Picked up a bunch of Batman books today from the library. The good news is they had Hush and Killing Joke. The bad news is that the only copy of V for Vendetta they had was filthy... there was even a hair sticking out of it.
For some strange reason, according to the library's online database all the Batman graphic novels were written by Bob Kane.
BTW, did you guys know someone wrote a graphic novel about Laika the Sputnik dog?
Thanks to everyone that posted in this thread. I'll be sure to make a new thread when I decide to branch out and try other graphic novels.

Last edited by a moderator:
Library binding is a higher quality binding, used in situation where the book is being read alot. If you want a copy that lasts, that is the best you can do usually. Paperback is at the other end of the graphic novel spectrum and is usually lower quality and holds little to no value as a collector's piece. The Long Halloween is also one worth checking out if you're a batman fan.

I second The Long Halloween. Also Hush is really good as well.

Not sure which version of Year One to recommend though. If you take care of your stuff and don't care about collecting just get paperback. That's what I do.

YEAR ONE is a great recommendation, maybe the best Batman story. Many will disagree -- I like DARK KNIGHT RETURNS too -- but I think David Mazzucchelli's art is one of the most underrated works of great mainstream comics art.

EVERY Batman fan should own Batman: Year One, The Long Halloween, Dark Victory, and The Dark Knight Returns.

I love them all, but I have to say TLH/DV are probably what I consider the "best" stories. Although it felt to me like they kind of fudged the ending of TLH just to throw off all the people guessing who Holiday was.

Oh, also, I'd recommend getting Catwoman: When In Rome, because it adds on to the story of TLH/DV.

Last edited by a moderator:
First off, if you are not going to collect comics, then you can get it from a library.

Year One, The Killing Joke, Dark Knight Returns have always been the classic batman stories.

I didn't really appreciate Dark Knight Returns until I was older.

The Killing Joke is what gave Joker his balls so to speak.

I haven't read the long Halloween 1 or 2, but I own them. I don't really like Tim Sale's art.

Non Batman: The Watchmen.

V for Vendetta is my favorite 'comic story' of all time.

You have to keep in mind that a lot of the versions Amazon has listed are much older printings that they no longer have in stock and are being sold by third-parties.

A lot of suggestions to check out The Killing Joke, and you definitely should. If you do, though, just pick up DC Universe: The Stories of Alan Moore. Besides having The Killing Joke, it has two of my favorite Superman stories: "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" and "For the Man who has Everything."

THE KILLING JK (bolland's recolored/remaster editions isnt my favorite. i prefer the original)
DARK KNIGHT RETURNS
YEAR ONE
THE LONG HALLOWEEN
doesnt mattter which editions... buy now!

I agree with all the book picks, but for one of my favorite "year one type" stories, don't miss MASK OF THE PHANTASM dvd. I think it's in a DVD 2-pack along with another Batman TAS Movie. Awesome stuff!

I\'ll go out on a limb and recommend the first Knightfall arc. Knightfall was what got me into batman and the scene with bane breaking his back always gets me. No mans land was a good storyline as well. While it might not have a great payoff, batman rip was a good read. Those are my picks for more recent storylines.

"The Complete Frank Miller Batman" has Year One, Santa Claus: Wanted Dead or Alive and Dark Knight Returns. It's a beautiful, hardbound version that you can get on eBay way more affordably than I expected (Looks like 1 recently went for $20 + Shipping?!?). I'd recommend pouncing on one of those.

It's two stories that are usually found on "Top Graphic Novel" lists, because they are great stories. And Santa Claus: Wanted Dead or Alive.

bread's done
Back