Which game will be this generation's Suikoden II??

depascal22

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
We all know that the PS1 has a couple RPGs that have gone up in price since release. The most well known are Suikoden II, Legend of Mana, and most of the other Square Soft black label RPGs.

There are several quality RPGs and other games from this generation (PS2/Xbox) that seem to be destined for great things.

1. Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence -- the holy grail for rare game collectors.....it's ridiculously expensive and sought after right now (EDIT)
2. Okami -- Don't see any more copies coming out since Clover is kaput.
3. Odin Sphere -- Atlus RPGs are hit or miss since Disgaea saw a reprint but none of the Shin Megami Tensei line has seen one.
4. Shin Megami Tensei series -- see # 2. Barring reprint, a complete sealed set of Shin Megami Tensei games will bring a pretty penny at auction.
5. Makai Kingdom -- the one NIS RPG that seems to hover around MSRP. Don't know why this one is preferred over Phantom Brave or La Pucelle but I bet it got the lowest print run.
6. Skies of Arcadia -- I know it's a port of the DC game but can you find copies anywhere? Unless this gets ported or put on the Virtual Console, I see the value of this game going up over the years.
7. Marvel vs Capcom 2 -- This is a no brainer and we've already seen the ridiculous prices it goes for. The PS2 and Xbox version got low print runs and are increasingly valuable.
8. Tales of the Abyss -- the last Tales to hit the current generation's consoles. Some might say it's the best but it didn't seem to get any more of a print run than Symphonia or Legendia. I haven't seen a sealed copy in a store other than EB for several weeks.

Anything else you guys would like to add or discuss?

I ask this question because I'm a collector but I'm also asking because I'm thinking of biting the bullet and buying Odin Sphere, Persona 3, and Okami for full price. They should all keep their value relatively well and I don't see a reprint coming anytime soon.

That MGS Subsistence LE set with the Saga preorder bounus dvd goes for $200 sealed and $100 open. I think it retailed for $30.

My bad. I have a copy and I didn't even throw it in the OP. Fixed. And it retailed for $40. Regular Subsistence retailed for $30. Both came with the preorder DVDs but obviously, it just makes it more desirable if your LE has the extra DVD.

The questions is not rather there will be a reprint, but when there will be reprint. Aside from Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence LE and Marvel vs Capcom 2, all those games have a good chance of getting a reprint in the future. GQD has worked with Capcom, Konami, Sega, Namco-Bandi, and Atlus before and could do it again. Skies of Arcadia already a reprint, and there is nothing stopping Sega from making another print. Will most of those games retain their value? Probably. But it is not going to cost $100 plus on ebay.

What could be rare are probably are certain factory sealed non GH games like FFX or KH. Or other LE like .hack GU LE. More likely it could be a game that many of us passed on for $15 from a publisher that does not work with GQD, like Sony or Square Enix

I want to say SMT Nocturne is going to be this gen's Suikoden II. RPGs seem to gain value like nothing else. MVC2 is expensive, but I've never seen a fighting game achieve $200+ prices on Ebay or anything near it. I think Nocturne will have a better chance of becoming the next Suikoden II simply because it had a low print run in the beginning and it's fucking good, so it's definitely sought after more than the other games. MGS3S and Okami are interesting choices though. I actually noticed Okami was disappearing from stores a few months ago, and while I wanted the game to see a price drop, I realized it'd be smarter to bite the bullet and pick it up right away since it was clearly going to be OOP soon.

I tend not to watch values after I own a game. I have everything in the OP list except for MvC2, and I have the ones I'm about to add - so these may or may not be worth a lot of money, but from what I've seen there hard-to-find and somewhat sought after:

Growlanser Generations: Collector's Edition. Like most of the WD sets, this one has disappeared from stores. Odds are the new Growlanser game releasing next month will increase demand for the original set as well. BTW, supposedly Atlus has said the print run for next month's Growlanser will be very small, and once it's gone that's it.

Shadow Hearts/ SH: Covenant - From the New World is common, mainly because it sucks. ;) But the original two are pretty hard to come by from what I've seen, and their value seems to be rising.

Is limited edition metal gear 3 really that rare? i dont think it is and about how many copies did they make?

[quote name='ShaJay']Is limited edition metal gear 3 really that rare? i dont think it is and about how many copies did they make?[/QUOTE]

MGS3S LE is the one that was going for $200 the day it came out. There weren't even enough copies available to fill preorders.

I have it, but I haven't watched that LE DVD yet... hmm... oh well.

[quote name='argyle']
Shadow Hearts/ SH: Covenant - From the New World is common, mainly because it sucks. ;) But the original two are pretty hard to come by from what I've seen, and their value seems to be rising.[/quote]

I saw Shadow Hearts in a faraway GS this week and thought of getting it, since it's the first time I've seen it in a long, long time. However, I looked it up on the store locator, and there's a lot of them in my area. I was surprised.

im guessing SMT nocture + guide is pretty rare and from what i see, the value seems to be pretty stable, but rising a bit on ebay, maybe with the release another SMT game (persona 3, which i think will rise in value in a few months), it went up a bit?

Atlus titles will never be "rare." Atlus is known to reprint all the time, so don't bother paying high price for their stuff.

[quote name='Negative']Atlus titles will never be "rare." Atlus is known to reprint all the time, so don't bother paying high price for their stuff.[/QUOTE]

they only repirnted a couple of games...and ur wrong about them not being rare

id say if sum1 had the whole SMT, that be a rare sight

Skies of Arcadia for GC is not rare at all, is it quite easy to find at Gamestop. It was reprinted.

Any of those games can be reprinted actually, except for Marvel vs Capcom 2 because of license issues.

the only rare version of Nocturne might be a factory sealed with soundtrack. other wise I see this getting reprint at some point.

What's the value of a sealed copy of Metal Gear Vol. 1 DVD? I have one sitting around.

Otherwise I'd say MvC2 will be the hot game. Zero chance for a reprint.

I should've done a poll with this one. Looks like everyone's picking MvC2 or Nocturne.

I guess I can brag that I have the entire Shin Megami Tensei line sealed and ready for a future auction.

damn yo I still got my Subsistence LE sealed and shyt! I am lucky ass gamer, AND I gotta copy of Nocturne!

is Tales of Abyss really that rare?? I should go and buy it I guess... it looks like a good rainy day game.

[quote name='sparklecopy']Has anyone Played Godhand? i heard it was good and I can't find it anywhere.[/QUOTE]

its a love or hate game...i loved it!

I ask this question because I'm a collector but I'm also asking because I'm thinking of biting the bullet and buying Odin Sphere, Persona 3, and Okami for full price. They should all keep their value relatively well and I don't see a reprint coming anytime soon.

oh yeah, definitely get all 3 of those. funny how everyone swore Okami would be a major bomb and hit the bargain bin weeks after its release. :)

[quote name='depascal22']I should've done a poll with this one. Looks like everyone's picking MvC2 or Nocturne.

I guess I can brag that I have the entire Shin Megami Tensei line sealed and ready for a future auction.[/QUOTE]
I got all the PS2 Shin Megami Tensei games sealed, as well as the game guides and Persona 1 and 2

At the same time it just make no sense for Atlus or GQD to not make a reprint of Nocturne at some point in the future. If you plan to ebay it might as well do it now.

Considering Nocturne is already 80 dollars used on Amazon, that's looking like a front runner. And of course, it's one of the games that I would like to buy :(.

[quote name='argyle']
Shadow Hearts/ SH: Covenant - From the New World is common, mainly because it sucks. ;) But the original two are pretty hard to come by from what I've seen, and their value seems to be rising.[/quote]

LOL I guess maybe then I should've kept the ONLY sealed copy I found @ Kmart on clearance and not traded it disc only to GS for about $17-20 in credit.

But, I couldn't help it at the time, it was such a quick and easy flip. $3-4 in cash to $17-20 in credit=instant win for me.

I dunno what's up with MvC2 (PS2), but I've been seeing a lot of copies lately (All priced $60 and up). So I don't think that'll be the one. Persona 3 looks like it got a low print run and might be hard to find in a couple of months.

I've also seen more copies of MvC2 lately. I still think it will be a big money item in the next couple years as long as Sony doesn't screw up backwards compatibility like Microsoft.

[quote name='fyffem']Considering Nocturne is already 80 dollars used on Amazon, that's looking like a front runner. And of course, it's one of the games that I would like to buy :(.[/QUOTE]

ehhh, MGS3:LE has been ~150 since it came out. except when it was going for $250 in the first few weeks after it came out.

[quote name='depascal22']I was thinking about putting GrimGrimoire on the list but I can still find it new and sealed around town.[/quote]

I still need to go pick my copy up. My BB still has it and i have a $10 off coupon i can use. Since im a RPG collecting whore. its hard to pass up ones that i know will be harder to find in a 6 months to a year from now.

And my vote would be SMT: Nocturne. I got super lucky and got mine on ebay with the guide for $41 shipped :drool:

[quote name='Apossum']ehhh, MGS3:LE has been ~150 since it came out. except when it was going for $250 in the first few weeks after it came out.[/quote]

I don't think a limited edition thing should count. I think we should only talk actual games.

[quote name='Layd Dly']Since im a RPG collecting whore. its hard to pass up ones that i know will be harder to find in a 6 months to a year from now.
[/QUOTE]
I'm not saying you shouldn't get this game, but GrimGrimoire falls squarely in the RTS camp. And I'm also an RPG collecting whore.

And to actually contribute to this thread, I think Nocturne will get a reprint and be less hard to find, though still not common.

I think with downloadable games and the trend to resell the classics online through PSN and XBLA, the days of "rare" games are numbered. Reprints for GQD should fill in the void of anything that doesn't get an online re-release. I think only in the rare case where licensing is an issue such as Marvel vs. Capcom 2, where the publisher can not re-release the game in any form is when a game will be rare and sought after. I think the lesson to be learned is buy games you want to play, and if you think that it will be hard to obtain a year or two down the road, then go ahead and buy it now. Don't buy games thinking they will be an investment, you money is better off in a mutual fund (despite how bad the stock market has been in the last few weeks).

Okami has been repeatedly rumored to get a port on the Wii, not to mention that it's not regarded too highly by most of the people who bought it.

So, all this and no one has yet to mention that Skies never got ported to PS2?

Nothing else on PS2 can stand toe-to-toe with sealed copies of MvsC2 & MGS3SLE

[quote name='Parathod']Okami has been repeatedly rumored to get a port on the Wii, not to mention that it's not regarded too highly by most of the people who bought it.[/QUOTE]
Most people said Okami is the PS2 Zelda, and it got good reviews too

[quote name='Parathod']Okami has been repeatedly rumored to get a port on the Wii, not to mention that it's not regarded too highly by most of the people who bought it.[/QUOTE]

The whole "PS2's Zelda" label the game has earned is a complaint?

I think sealed original prints of some of the earlier RPGs like Kingdom Hearts (obviously FFX already has exploded) and Star Ocean TTEOT will take off in price. I also believe Odin Sphere has the potential to be this generation's Valkyrie Profile.

[quote name='briansraregames']I really think Obscure and Jurassic Park Operation Genesis are primed to take off in price, those and maybe Battle Assault 3.[/QUOTE]
i agree on all three

Hmm, I have a few PS2 RPGs that may become worth a little more

Ar Tonelico (Mint, Complete+Artbook and OST)
Valkyrie Profile 2
Shadow Hearts: Covenant and FTW (whoever said they weren't good needs to be shot)
FFXII CE?
Grandia III

LOL NO ONE(either here or @ Gamestop) could answer me whether or not SH Covenant was an action RPG or turn based, so I said 'f it' and swapped it in disc only to GS for $17-20 in credit about a year or so ago.

Go figure, since I found it @ Kmart for $3-4 anyway and didn't want it sitting here collecting dust.

I think you are looking at later in the life cycle games for the PS2 to reach that type of status.

Persona 3 I see as being a very good candidate. Very well regarded game, yet probably won't sell overly well.

Also, if a reprint is ever done, it would be just case and game, not like it comes in now.

Same goes for Wild Arms 5, though I don't see it reaching Suikoden II levels. I wouldn't doubt if it stayed somewhat close to the $50 level (maybe $30 but nothing like Wild Arms 3 is).

I wouldn't count out Rogue Galaxy becoming highly sought after also in the long run (FF VII being highly produced, but insane prices).

Other than those. Pick up the games with the extra packaging, as even if a reprint occurs it would be way to costly to do anything but game, case, cover and manual.

Ar Tonelico is one right now I can think of, but Im drawing a blank on others.

I think we all should just buy games we like, and don't worry about how rare it will become.

Few years ago I bought Final Fantasy VII from Circuit City for 8 bucks because it was a game I was interested in. At the time there was plenty copies of FFVII, and no one would even touch it even at the clearance price of $8. I never got around to play it. Few weeks ago I found out a sealed copy of it was going for major $$$ on eBay and was able to sell it for $150.

Moral of the story? Buy the stuff you want and is interested in playing. Even if it doesn't become rare, you still have a game that you would enjoy!!!

Don't get me wrong. I play what I like. But I've flipped some rare RPGs for some serious cash and that has allowed me to play what I like for much cheaper.

Why are you against collecting games for profit? It's funny that the some of the people that sniff at video game collecting would cream their pants if they saw a mint Mickey Mantle rookie card or a mint Buffalo nickel from the turn of the century.

Back on topic. Which version of Obscure is more desirable at this point? PS2 or Xbox?

bread's done
Back