Which hybrid should i get? 06 prius or 06 civic????

Darwin23

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
After doing my research, i've narrowed it down to the Prius 06 pacakge #3 vs. 06 civic with navigation. They both meet the price range i'm looking for, and I've put a deposit for them on both dealership to reserve my car. I can only keep one..so which one should i get?

Likes about prius: more cargo and interior space, color i want is available (red), back up camera, smart key system.
dislikes: more common( i see them everywhere now), looks odd, no navigation.

likes about civic: nav system, new looks--attention grabber (until they become available everywhere).
dislikes: color available (white), rear seat doesnt fold(where do i put my snowboards?)

i think i'll be happy in either one of them.....but i still have to choose.....so help me out guys.

i live in L.A. if that helps.

I, personally, prefer Honda over Toyota 9 times out of 10 (that 10th time is usually a Supra).

Anyways, the new Civics are pretty smooth. THe prius, on the other hand, is ugly as fuck.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']the civic will be everywhere soon enough.[/QUOTE]
You say that like it's a bad thing.

[quote name='capitalist_mao']You say that like it's a bad thing.[/QUOTE][quote name='Darwin23']
Likes about prius: more cargo and interior space, color i want is available (red), back up camera, smart key system.
dislikes: more common( i see them everywhere now), looks odd, no navigation.

likes about civic: nav system, new looks--attention grabber (until they become available everywhere).
dislikes: color available (white), rear seat doesnt fold(where do i put my snowboards?)[/QUOTE]It was important enough for the OP to mention, I'm just saying it won't be an issue soon, so it should be ignored.

[quote name='capitalist_mao']You say that like it's a bad thing.[/QUOTE]

No, he said it because the OP stated that the fact that the prius is seen everywhere now is a negative to him.

yeah....i feel that if you drive a prius, it sorta screams out that you're driving a hybrid. the civics will be nice to look at in the beginning, but when they become everywhere the civic hybrid cant be distinguised amongst the regular civics.

i've driven both, and both feels fine with me. edmunds rated the prius a winner over the civic....but just by a slim margin. so its pretty much a toss up.

You really can't go wrong with a Honda, Toyota is good too, but I would probably stick with the Civic.

The Prius is not a very good looking car, I know that shouldn't be the only criteria, but it's imporant I think.

I am a tad biased, I've had an Accord for a year or so and I think it is a superb car.

Go with the Civic, even though they'll be everywhere you can at least do some mods to your car to distinguish it from everyone else. The Prius is just ugly.

I vote Prius... but I'm biased cuz I have one, though it's an 05. I love the Smart Key, and I actually like how the car itself looks. I'm also all for utility, so I like hatchbacks.

Edited to add: btw, having a nav system is really nice, so I would consider that a big pro for the civic in your price range. But if you can't get the color you want, I consider that a big con... I got an 05 Prius instead of waiting for 06 cuz they discontinued the color I wanted for 06s (but the new nav screens are sooooo much nicer).

I love Honda, too, but the Prius has considerably better mpg than the Civic hybrid, right, because it uses things like regenerative braking? If you're willing to pay what a new Prius costs, and you want a Prius-sized car, I would think you will save a ton of money on gas. But maybe the Civics have gained a lot of ground.

I rode in a prius the other day and every time we stopped at a light or stop light right when we started going again it felt like it stalled for a second (a jolt forward)... It was very odd considering it was an automatic.

[quote name='karmapolice']I rode in a prius the other day and every time we stopped at a light or stop light right when we started going again it felt like it stalled for a second (a jolt forward)... It was very odd considering it was an automatic.[/QUOTE]Yeah, the gas engine turns off at stops, and sometimes it vibrates a little like it's stalling (which freaked me out at first because before I was driving a very old automatic car that actually would stall at stops).

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']I vote Prius... but I'm biased cuz I have one, though it's an 05. I love the Smart Key, and I actually like how the car itself looks. I'm also all for utility, so I like hatchbacks.

Edited to add: btw, having a nav system is really nice, so I would consider that a big pro for the civic in your price range. But if you can't get the color you want, I consider that a big con... I got an 05 Prius instead of waiting for 06 cuz they discontinued the color I wanted for 06s (but the new nav screens are sooooo much nicer).[/QUOTE]

adding the nav system on the prius hikes the price up to around 4k...which is way too out of budget for me. although i wont have a nav on my pkg 3, i'd get a rear camera---which i'm not sure when i'll use (parallel parking i guess...even though i have a garage). another big pro for the civic is that i can actually get it at around 200-300 less than the prius and with a nav system at that price.

[quote name='Darwin23']adding the nav system on the prius hikes the price up to around 4k...which is way too out of budget for me. although i wont have a nav on my pkg 3, i'd get a rear camera---which i'm not sure when i'll use (parallel parking i guess...even though i have a garage). another big pro for the civic is that i can actually get it at around 200-300 less than the prius and with a nav system at that price.[/QUOTE]
I only wanted a rear camera for the wow factor... I don't think it actually has much utility. A nav system is much more important, since you don't need to have maps in your car anymore. I do think the Smart Key System is big pro though, maybe more so for women since a lot of us use purses so it saves time to not shuffle for the keys.

Do you have to pay for area's on nav systems? I know on ones that go on boats you have to pay for specific area's and its like 100 dollars per area.

well since you obviously are going for an economic car just plain and simple, which one gets the best gas milage? That would be the one I pick.

[quote name='munch']My vote is the Honda. Just be sure to change the hubcaps. They are disgusting.[/QUOTE]
The Hybrid Civics come with alloy wheels standard, ie: No hubcaps.

bread's done
Back