Which Ipod to get??

You can spend $50 more and get an 30GB iPod Video. It's not like iPod is freaking huge. It fits perfectly in a pocket. The Nano is good for people who care about aestheics. A more savy consumer would definately go with a regular sized iPod.

Unless you have like 200 mp3s total. Then get a Nano because 30GB would be overkill.

Ipod? Pfft. Get an Iriver H10 20 GB. You can get one for $200-$299 depending on where you buy it, especially if you get one on Ebay. I'd suggest buying one from an enthusiast site like I did (I got an Iriver H10 20GB player, only 2 months old, for $150). Not only do they have color screens, store text/pics, record sound, and have an FM tuner; they can be used as a Mass storage device! The Ipod? You have to use Itunes and pay more for less features. I'd do a little research first to determine what size and what features would be right for you before deciding on ANY player.

I'm pretty sure the iPod can be used as a mass storage device as well.

Plus we know people don't buy an iPod for music. It's always to look cool. :D

depends. the 2gb nano holds about 500 songs for 199. if that works for you then go for it. personally i cant think of 500 songs that i like. ALSO, IF YOU NEED HELP FINDING AN IPOD, LET ME KNOW. ILL GIVE YOU THE WEBSITE I BOUGHT MINE FROM. THERES STILL PLENTY IN STOCK OF ALL THE VARIETYS.

And I'm the complete opposite. I got the 60GB one since I'm a music lover and have over a thousand CDs. Which are now pretty much ALL on my Ipod and that ROCKS. I never have to transport CDs again when going on a trip.

[quote name='secretvampire']And I'm the complete opposite. I got the 60GB one since I'm a music lover and have over a thousand CDs. Which are now pretty much ALL on my Ipod and that ROCKS. I never have to transport CDs again when going on a trip.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I say go with the 30gig or 60 if you have a ton of cds.

if you get a nano don't get the 2 gig think about it for just 50 b ucks more you double your space and remember they can both function as a picture viewer so you can put all your favorite photos on it (using itunes - no extra thing needed) and bother people all the time with that great picture of you doing something spiffy. In all honesty though i have a 15 gig ipod i got a long whie back and it's a beast being a girl it doesn't fit in my pockets as girls jeans are smaller/tighter in style. So, I talked hubby into getting me a nano too I really like it it's so small it will fit just about anywhere when I dont' have pockets i jsut put it in my bra it's so small you can't even tell. If the nano can hold wha tyou want i'd go for it the one that can play videos is nifty, but the screan is darn small and i'm not quite certain how the video thing works seems to me you have to buy every one you watch from apple and I know that the episodes of TV shows go for 2 bucks each, could get spendy for low quality small video.

[quote name='auralia']if you get a nano don't get the 2 gig think about it for just 50 b ucks more you double your space and remember they can both function as a picture viewer so you can put all your favorite photos on it (using itunes - no extra thing needed) and bother people all the time with that great picture of you doing something spiffy. In all honesty though i have a 15 gig ipod i got a long whie back and it's a beast being a girl it doesn't fit in my pockets as girls jeans are smaller/tighter in style. So, I talked hubby into getting me a nano too I really like it it's so small it will fit just about anywhere when I dont' have pockets i jsut put it in my bra it's so small you can't even tell. If the nano can hold wha tyou want i'd go for it the one that can play videos is nifty, but the screan is darn small and i'm not quite certain how the video thing works seems to me you have to buy every one you watch from apple and I know that the episodes of TV shows go for 2 bucks each, could get spendy for low quality small video.[/QUOTE]I've never even touched a woman. Please make fun of me.

Hmmm still dont lnow what to do. I have a lot of music i want to put on but i dont know if i want to pay 400 for the 60GB...

[quote name='Madskills1182']Hmmm still dont lnow what to do. I have a lot of music i want to put on but i dont know if i want to pay 400 for the 60GB...[/QUOTE]
Pay $300 for a 30GB, instead of paying $250 for a 4GB.

I have the 4 GB Nano and it suits me perfect seeing as Im not a music buff, If you love music and have a lot of it, you will probably want something with more memory..

actually the nano is very durable, I have had mine for about 2 1/2 months now and I take it running with me everyday, I dont have a armband for it, I just stick it in my pocket and take off, it has fallen out and hit the pavement numerous times, nothing wrong it besides a few scratches on the screen.

I guess with the Nano out people consider the Mini to be obsolete, but I like mine (I'd lose that freaking Nano, I just know I would). If you can find one used (somebody selling theirs to get a Video IPod, for example), it'd be a real good choice.

That being said, the new video IPod is cool as hell, although from what I've heard the battery life is terrible for watching video.

I'd go with the 30GB video one. The nano is cool but I think of it as more of a second iPod/workout iPod than the one I'd use for everything.

im thinking about an ipod also, for my gf. is the applecare protection plan a good idea? i see it is only 47 with the student discount.

I don't believe anyone has mentioned that the Nano is a flash based (solid state) memory device compared to the hard drive of the Video. Nano means no skipping if you take it for workouts and no moving parts in general means fewer problems.

[quote name='thagoat']ALSO, IF YOU NEED HELP FINDING AN IPOD, LET ME KNOW. ILL GIVE YOU THE WEBSITE I BOUGHT MINE FROM. THERES STILL PLENTY IN STOCK OF ALL THE VARIETYS.[/QUOTE]

Oh, that one site? www.apple.com :roll:

i've had a lot of different iPods. if you are the type of person who would never need to listen to more than 700 or 800 songs (aka, not your entire music collection), then I'd say go with the Nano, which I have.

But if you want an ipod because you want to have every song you own with you at all times then go with a ultra reduced priced iPod photo, 30GB.

HOWEVER, if you think you will wan to watch TV shows on-the-go on an incredibly tiny screen, then I say go with the new iPod video.

finally, if you could care less about a color screen and you don't mind having only about 700 songs with you, then I'd recommend getting the super awesome, virtually scratch proof, iPod mini.

hope this helps.

I'd go with the latest edition 30GB IPod if I didn't already have a 6GB Mini.

I got mine with an Audible book subscription for $80 shipped free @Crutchfield. It's a good service and I've been able to listen to books I wouldn't have had a chance to read.

[quote name='robdees']I don't believe anyone has mentioned that the Nano is a flash based (solid state) memory device compared to the hard drive of the Video. Nano means no skipping if you take it for workouts and no moving parts in general means fewer problems.[/QUOTE]

So the other i pods skip if u work out??

[quote name='Madskills1182']So the other i pods skip if u work out??[/QUOTE]

They would be more prone to do so, yes. It would be similar to working out with a portable CD player. A good case and armband can help to eliminate some of the skipping problems as your IPod would be moving with you as opposed to jostling around in your pocket or clipped to your hip. Also be aware of the inherent problems of the rechargable Lith-Ion battery. You can only charge these an average of 300 times (about 16-21 months) and Apple charges an exorberant amout to replace these (about $70-110 on average).

[quote name='FoeHammer']Do ipod shuffles blow?[/QUOTE]

No. I have one. Its great as a second iPod.
I bought mine to work out with and as a usb thumb drive.
Its incredibly durable.
My main problem with it is the back button that controls everything, its not designed well.
Having said all of this, I am planning on selling mine to update to a nano since i have since acquired a thumb drive.

I have a mini, but they don't have those anymore. So I would say get the video ones, since the Nano aren't really worth it.

i think i should upgrade my 128 creative that eats a AAA battery ever few hrs

i have a question about videos, how much would a 2hr movie take up, and is it possibe to plug the video ipod into any tv with a cable? will they look all pixely after being blown up to tv size?

i plan to rip my dvds to it and put them on the ipod ( is this even possible?)

and my only problem with ipod is the the no drag and drop factor, why don't they ever do that

my brother got a new computer and he has been having problems with his ipod lately

if i have any more questions ill ask here

[quote name='Mind_n_Soul']i think i should upgrade my 128 creative that eats a AAA battery ever few hrs

i have a question about videos, how much would a 2hr movie take up, and is it possibe to plug the video ipod into any tv with a cable? will they look all pixely after being blown up to tv size?

and my only problem with ipod is the the no drag and drop factor, why don't they ever do that

my brother got a new computer and he has been having problems with his ipod lately

if i have any more questions ill ask here[/QUOTE]
If he's having trouble with itunes tell him to check out winamp.
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73771&highlight=winamp

[quote name='robdees']They would be more prone to do so, yes. It would be similar to working out with a portable CD player. A good case and armband can help to eliminate some of the skipping problems as your IPod would be moving with you as opposed to jostling around in your pocket or clipped to your hip. [/QUOTE]

Umm not really. All ipods have 25 minutes (17 in video) of cache which actually stores about 3-6 songs being played. You never actually play a song off the HD. I am sure skipping could happen as songs are loaded into the cache but it is quite rare.

I have personally run over 800 miles this year with my iPod mini and never once had a skip. (although it has froze a few times most likely due to sweat. I tuck it in my waistband. i.e clipped to my hip).

IMO the perfect combo is a video iPod for your library and all the cool stuff AND a shuffle to have a cheap/ easy mp3 player when you don't want to risk your iPod Video.

[quote name='usickenme']Umm not really. All ipods have 25 minutes (17 in video) of cache which actually stores about 3-6 songs being played. You never actually play a song off the HD. I am sure skipping could happen as songs are loaded into the cache but it is quite rare.

I have personally run over 800 miles this year with my iPod mini and never once had a skip. (although it has froze a few times most likely due to sweat. I tuck it in my waistband. i.e clipped to my hip).

IMO the perfect combo is a video iPod for your library and all the cool stuff AND a shuffle to have a cheap/ easy mp3 player when you don't want to risk your iPod Video.[/QUOTE]

Yep, I agree completely.

i have the nano and its great. no problems.
like everyone said, its all about how much music you have and what you are going to use it for. i have the case and armband for my nano and use it at the gym everyday. its awesome.

You can rip DVD's to the new iPod video. A 2 hour movie reduce to somewhere around 1/2 gig when you get rid of the unnecessary stuff on the DVD. A co-worker showed me the final product and it looks very good. I can't remember the site but do a google search and you can find the instructions on how to transfer DVD's to the iPod.

[quote name='Mind_n_Soul']i think i should upgrade my 128 creative that eats a AAA battery ever few hrs

if i have any more questions ill ask here[/QUOTE]

[quote name='usickenme']

IMO the perfect combo is a video iPod for your library and all the cool stuff AND a shuffle to have a cheap/ easy mp3 player when you don't want to risk your iPod Video.[/QUOTE]sounds like some expensive ass overkill to me. pick one. be happy. go home.

i bought my 60 gig iPod Video and i absolutely love it.

i put all episodes of some anime on there, and i find it really handy when i'm bored and have nothing better to do than watch an episode or two of whatever.

as for space, i feel 60 gigs is enough for me, i've used up 45 gigs so far.

bread's done
Back