Which is better: Express Mail or Priority Mail (USPS) or other?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skateraXVIII

CAGiversary!
Feedback
71 (100%)
I need to ship an oversize item (about 6lbs - 28"x12"x12") and I was just wondering which shipping option was better, Express Mail or Priority Mail.

BTW I'm shipping an item that I sold on Amazon.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='skateraXVIII']I need to ship an oversize item (about 6lbs - 28"x12"x12") and I was just wondering which shipping option was better, Express Mail or Priority Mail.

BTW I'm shipping an item that I sold on Amazon.[/QUOTE]

You're going to pay at least x2 more to ship it by Express Mail; that is the USPS version of next day delivery (it is a service they contract out by FedEx).

Priority Mail is a 2-3 day service. I would go with that unless the buyer is going to kick in the extra amount.

You'll save a little by printing the label online.

If it is an expensive item add signature confirmation

The item sold for about $360, so I'm thinking of getting insurance and signature confirmation.

My options are:

- USPS Priority: $34.53
- USPS Express: $36.96 $39.72

OR

- UPS Ground: $10.85 $11.06
- USPS Parcel Post: $11.17 $12.03

I didn't realize how cheap UPS Ground was, so now I'm leaning towards choosing that option. Is that a good choice? I've never really shipped anything through UPS so I don't have any past experience with them. I mainly ship USPS First Class Mail or on rare occasions USPS Priority Mail (usually I use a flat rate box though).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='skateraXVIII']The item sold for about $360, so I'm thinking of getting insurance and signature confirmation.

My options are:

- USPS Priority: $34.53
- USPS Express: $36.96

OR

- UPS Ground: $10.85
- USPS Parcel Post: $11.17

I didn't realize how cheap UPS Ground was, so now I'm leaning towards choosing that option. Is that a good choice? I've never really shipped anything through UPS so I don't have any past experience with them. I mainly ship USPS First Class Mail or on rare occasions USPS Priority Mail (usually I use a flat rate box though).[/QUOTE]

If you don't mind would you share a little more information? (weight; zip code to and from)

I'm baffled that the rate for priority and express are so close in cost; that shouldn't be the case.

I ship many hundreds of items domestically each year and I can't think of any instance where priority and express would be about the same; unless you're looking at a flat rate box of some sort.

I'm not sure how AZ marketplace works but with eBay and PayPal anything that costs over $250 MUST have signature confirmation and because eBay models a lot of its policies after Amazon I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case with them as well.

Insurance is nice; and if it helps ease your mind it is well worth the cost. I don't ship UPS so I don't have much advice if you go that route

[quote name='GBAstar']If you don't mind would you share a little more information? (weight; zip code to and from)

I'm baffled that the rate for priority and express are so close in cost; that shouldn't be the case.

I ship many hundreds of items domestically each year and I can't think of any instance where priority and express would be about the same; unless you're looking at a flat rate box of some sort.

I'm not sure how AZ marketplace works but with eBay and PayPal anything that costs over $250 MUST have signature confirmation and because eBay models a lot of its policies after Amazon I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case with them as well.

Insurance is nice; and if it helps ease your mind it is well worth the cost. I don't ship UPS so I don't have much advice if you go that route[/QUOTE]

It's going from 83687 to 91602. The item itself weighs 7 lbs (I need to edit the above information to reflect that since I accidentally put it for 6 lbs for the shipping weight instead). The prices above for the item I'm shipping should actually be:

USPS Priority: $34.53
USPS Express: $39.72
UPS Ground: $11.06
USPS Parcel Post: $12.03

Those prices don't include the DC or insurance though.

I finished packing up the item just now and made sure to add some extra protection (styrofoam sheets). Hopefully that's enough to protect it.

I'm going to choose UPS Ground and make sure to get Signature Confirmation and insurance. It estimates that it would be delivered Wednesday June 27, although I'm not sure how accurate that is.

UPS is far better than USPS. Only use USPS for packages under 2 pounds since it will be significantly cheaper or if you need to send to PO Box.

UPS Ground includes tracking and $100 of insurance and is more reliable. UPS delivery dates are very accurate unlike USPS which has less predictable transit times. Unless they make a rare routing error or there are any weather delays, it will be there on or before when they say it will.

FedEx Ground is slightly better than UPS, but either option is good. Everyone needs to completely dismiss USPS for large boxes.

[quote name='skateraXVIII']It's going from 83687 to 91602. The item itself weighs 7 lbs (I need to edit the above information to reflect that since I accidentally put it for 6 lbs for the shipping weight instead). The prices above for the item I'm shipping should actually be:

USPS Priority: $34.53
USPS Express: $39.72
UPS Ground: $11.06
USPS Parcel Post: $12.03

Those prices don't include the DC or insurance though.

I finished packing up the item just now and made sure to add some extra protection (styrofoam sheets). Hopefully that's enough to protect it.

I'm going to choose UPS Ground and make sure to get Signature Confirmation and insurance. It estimates that it would be delivered Wednesday June 27, although I'm not sure how accurate that is.[/QUOTE]UPS ground shipping timeframes are distance-dependent, so 2 day shipping would assume it's 400-600 or so miles from you.

Signature required is an option for UPS, and insurance it auto-insured for $100 at no cost. More insurance would be something you'd need to purchase.

As Kerig mentions below, FedEx Ground is another option and should be close in costs to UPS Ground. Same rules apply for time to deliver and costs for insurance, with signature required being an option.

If you're shipping a Portal gun you need to make sure you ship UPS Ground with signature confirmation. Definitely the best option here.

:cool:

If you're shipping a Portal gun you need to make sure you ship UPS Ground with signature confirmation. Definitely the best option here.
How'd you know?;)

I'm amazed how fast it sold, especially considering that I sold it on Amazon as "Like New" condition and I even put that it had been taken out of the original packaging. I guess they didn't care... which is good for me.:D

Thanks everybody for your input. I generally only ship video games, so this is a big step up from that.

Fedex ground .... much faster than UPS = positive feedback .....
Up to $100 free insurance and more detailed tracking ....
extra expense for insurance and signature required smart choice for such a costly item ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back