Which is more "mom safe" - XP or Vista?

wageslave

CAGiversary!
I am setting up a computer for my parents, it is a dual core Athalon 1800 with 2 gigs of Ram. They mainly use their computer for Ebay, Email, and Internet and are computer novices. They have used XP, Vista, and Windows 7 so there isn't any version of windows they really prefer. My biggest concern is that my mom has a bad habit of accidently going to websites that contain malware while looking up information for the items she finds and sells on Ebay, and also end up at fraudulent shopping and software websites as well. After my dad tries to "fix it", he usually makes the problems worse and I usually end up having reload the O.S. and re-install everything. I am trying to get them into using Firefox and keep telling them to just turn off and unplug the damn computer if they get any strange pop ups on the internet. :D

I can put either XP or Vista on the computer I am giving them, since I have a spare license for both. Unfortunately I don't have a spare license for Windows 7 and my dad is too cheap to buy it for himself. Does anyone have an opinion as to which OS is more bullet proof out of XP or Vista? I can't lock down their computer too tight with Vista because that would really annoy all of us (user account control gets turned off), and Ubuntu is out of the question for them. I am personally inclined to install XP Service pack 3 with all updates and to put on Microsoft Security Essentials, Spyware Blaster, Firefox, and to hope for the best, but I wouldn't mind other opinions. Thanks

Security wise Vista is way better than xp. XP is a good OS, but it's very old at this point and breaks very easily.

[quote name='n25philly']Security wise Vista is way better than xp. XP is a good OS, but it's very old at this point and breaks very easily.[/QUOTE]

this

I'd go with XP based on the specs alone. It'd run Vista, but it'd most likely wind up being more frustrating than XP since there'd be a bunch of performance issues.

[quote name='DurbanBrown']both are too close to really care[/QUOTE]

They aren't close at all. One is optimized very well and will run on pretty much any hardware you throw at it, the other isn't and will chug along on older/lesser spec'd systems (like the one in the OP).

[quote name='SEH']I'd go with XP based on the specs alone. It'd run Vista, but it'd most likely wind up being more frustrating than XP since there'd be a bunch of performance issues.[/QUOTE]

Normally I would agree with this. However I doubt performance will be a big issue for someones parents. All they will really do with it is check emails, look at pictures and listen to music.

I would go with Vista and just disable some of the crap they start up with, like that side bar nonsense. Everything just works easier and smoother on Vista and is much more friendly to novices.

[quote name='SEH']I'd go with XP based on the specs alone. It'd run Vista, but it'd most likely wind up being more frustrating than XP since there'd be a bunch of performance issues.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice, I do appreciate it. Actually, though, I had a laptop with the same processor and amount of ram as this desktop that ran both Vista and 7 quite well. My experience was that as long as you had 2 gigs of ram it was fine. It Obviously wasn't a gaming machine, though. :D

I am leaning towards Vista now for the better security everyone mentions. I was mostly worried that it was an unstable dog of an OS, but I guess it has probably been patched up quite a bit since release. Thanks everyone.

[quote name='n25philly']Security wise Vista is way better than xp. XP is a good OS, but it's very old at this point and breaks very easily.[/QUOTE]

That's 100% inaccurate.

Once you up to SP3. You're golden.

If you mum needs office and other further security - You can put Open Office on her rig, with Avast! and Zonealarm.

Avast! talks and the buttons are real easy to use for newbies.

Zonealarm does about the same once you set it up for her.

OpenOffice is click click and done.

Vista's UAC feature can be a real annoying bitch unless you shut it off manually. :bomb: Even then it still warns you with a pop up on the side recommending you enable it.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Vista's UAC feature can be a real annoying bitch unless you shut it off manually. :bomb: Even then it still warns you with a pop up on the side recommending you enable it.[/QUOTE]
is this the same as 7's UAC?

i dunno why people find it irritating.
it makes me feel good that i'm approving any changes to my computer and that no programs are installed without me knowing.

(i'm sure there's a way around it but until then, it's ok with me.)

UAC is indeed totally stupid. Only leave it on if you don't like being able to install things when you want to.

BTW, why are you putting Vista on the machine instead of Windows 7?

If you want an OS that actually works... stick with XP... otherwise you'll be force to pay for a patch for Vista... known as Windows 7.

[quote name='SEH']UAC is fucking awful. I'm not retarded or 90 years old.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='eastx']UAC is indeed totally stupid. Only leave it on if you don't like being able to install things when you want to.
[/QUOTE]
what if a program were to install software without you knowing?
yeah. that's what uac is for.

presentation wise it's a little intrusive since your entire screen goes dark and it asks you a question, but i don't get how uac is really that different from sudo and prompting you for a password.

Man, I love Vista. I have my PC set up to dual boot Vista and XP and I pretty much always use Vista unless I want to play an old game that requires XP. How much longer is Microsoft going to continue pushing security updates for XP, anyways? I thought they were supposed to discontinue support eventually.

[quote name='Megazell']That's 100% inaccurate.

Once you up to SP3. You're golden.

If you mum needs office and other further security - You can put Open Office on her rig, with Avast! and Zonealarm.

Avast! talks and the buttons are real easy to use for newbies.

Zonealarm does about the same once you set it up for her.

OpenOffice is click click and done.[/QUOTE]

Anyone that actually knows what they are talking about knows that Vista is the most secure windows OS

[quote name='n25philly']Anyone that actually knows what they are talking about knows that Vista is the most secure windows OS[/QUOTE]

Another inaccurate statement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista

See: Security-related section

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP

See: Security issues section

Of the 2 - Windows XP security issues are something a user can do something about easily. Update IE (if you still using it) and dl free software to handle the other issues.

Vista design is flawed and as a user you can not do much to change how the OS uses (or not uses) the partition needed to safeguard itself.

[quote name='Megazell']Another inaccurate statement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista

See: Security-related section

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP

See: Security issues section

Of the 2 - Windows XP security issues are something a user can do something about easily. Update IE (if you still using it) and dl free software to handle the other issues.

Vista design is flawed and as a user you can not do much to change how the OS uses (or not uses) the partition needed to safeguard itself.[/QUOTE]

lol, wtf are those wikipedia articles supposed to prove?

http://www.betanews.com/article/Microsoft-Vista-Most-Secure-OS-Ever/1150366131

http://news.softpedia.com/news/The-...ystem-on-the-Market-Windows-Vista-67553.shtml

I could find more if I had more time. The thing with the wikipedia articles is that it barely touched security issues. Providing 10% of the information and saying it's proof really just proves nothing. Updating to the latest version of IE will do very little to improve security because the features in IE 7 & 8 like the protected mode that improve security don't actually work in XP. They tried to emulate them but it doesn't really work.

Also in XP there are too many unprotected areas that can be written to, with the main issue being kernel access, which causes all kinds of problems, even from legit things like drivers. This is why is a drive f's up in XP you'll pretty much always get a blue screen where Vista can usually recover. This access creates so many holes and ways from problems to occur. The big problem with Vista was that is that they went a little too far with it. They backed off a bit in 7 which is why its a better experience and not quite as secure by default.

I know you love feeling like a big shot shooting your mouth off to people who don't know any better, but security is one of the things they truly got right in Vista. XP is an old OS, and while it's a solid OS it shows it's age and has a lot of issues as everything developed around it. It's got it's strong points, but security is definitely not one of them.

[quote name='n25philly']lol, wtf are those wikipedia articles supposed to prove?

http://www.betanews.com/article/Microsoft-Vista-Most-Secure-OS-Ever/1150366131

http://news.softpedia.com/news/The-...ystem-on-the-Market-Windows-Vista-67553.shtml

I could find more if I had more time. The thing with the wikipedia articles is that it barely touched security issues. Providing 10% of the information and saying it's proof really just proves nothing. Updating to the latest version of IE will do very little to improve security because the features in IE 7 & 8 like the protected mode that improve security don't actually work in XP. They tried to emulate them but it doesn't really work.

Also in XP there are too many unprotected areas that can be written to, with the main issue being kernel access, which causes all kinds of problems, even from legit things like drivers. This is why is a drive f's up in XP you'll pretty much always get a blue screen where Vista can usually recover. This access creates so many holes and ways from problems to occur. The big problem with Vista was that is that they went a little too far with it. They backed off a bit in 7 which is why its a better experience and not quite as secure by default.

I know you love feeling like a big shot shooting your mouth off to people who don't know any better, but security is one of the things they truly got right in Vista. XP is an old OS, and while it's a solid OS it shows it's age and has a lot of issues as everything developed around it. It's got it's strong points, but security is definitely not one of them.[/QUOTE]

So the wiki articles are wrong? hmmm

Good articles you posted but most of that is still subjective.

Where did that come from?

I hope you're not one of those members that got mad that I made fun of one of their games...
25fuo37.jpg

It's quite sad that a discourse can't be had without someone's emotions getting involved and just providing the facts.

I expected better of CAG...
25fuo37.jpg

Shameful, really.

While XP is old it's more stable for a user like the OP's target. On top of this the security of it is not so old that it [quote name='n25philly']breaks very easily.[/QUOTE]

As most Windows users should know IE should not be their browser of choice when other alternatives are available. Most users on the modern OS still prefer Mozilla and/or Chrome for obvious reasons.

People working too hard to defend their purchase.
25fuo37.jpg

i'd go with xp. I run vista on my desktop and 7 on my laptop (its what they came with) but my xp rig is i built is still fav. microsoft is still providing support for xp for at least another year, while vista is on the way out.

vista was just a beta for windows 7.
windows me= XP
vista = 7
;P

It's the Megazell defense! Address no points and call you EMOTIONAL! WIN!

BACK TO SHITTY GAMES HOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

[quote name='redline']How much longer is Microsoft going to continue pushing security updates for XP, anyways?[/QUOTE]

For SP3? Until 2020. Because they can't sell IT personnel on 7.

Well, the deed is done and the folks are getting Vista. FWIW I think XP with SP3 would have been just fine too. If the computer craps up again I'm just going to convince them to get a new desktop, since the one I set up for them is five years old anyway. The biggest thing I am going to do is remove all the I.E. links and get them to use Firefox instead.

Oh, and Megazell, I really enjoys your free games thread. Had a blast playing Privates. :D

[quote name='wageslave']Well, the deed is done and the folks are getting Vista. FWIW I think XP with SP3 would have been just fine too. If the computer craps up again I'm just going to convince them to get a new desktop, since the one I set up for them is five years old anyway. The biggest thing I am going to do is remove all the I.E. links and get them to use Firefox instead.

Oh, and Megazell, I really enjoys your free games thread. Had a blast playing Privates. :D[/QUOTE]

Sounds good.

Glad you did. Try Dark Deed - Same premise different format...sort of ;)

Mom safe? There is no such thing. If you have a novice on a pc there is no such thing as the best OS to chose because anyone can easily screw up anything.

Far as your mom getting malware, again nothing is safe. Xp is no safer than windows 7 from getting that stuff if the person isnt paying to attention to what they are doing or have good computer common sense. What will matter most in this case is having a good anti virus/malware program that monitors activity of things being written to the hard drive and will stop everything and ask for a action when something bad is trying to write itself to your hard drive.

The only advantage vista would have is it still gets holes plugged by MS, they discontinued support for XP last year. They will do updates for it still that are blanket updates for all their OS's but they dont specifically work on and update XP anymore.

If you have a key and disc for it then I would just use it and give them some basic instructions on what to be careful with and such.

The only way you can protect them 100% is by pulling out the network cable and not getting a pc online, never hooking a usb flash to a pc, installing anything that isnt a official retail copy of something and basically doing nothing on it. The best defense is a knowldgable pc user and even that isnt 100%.

[quote name='gargus']Mom safe? There is no such thing. If you have a novice on a pc there is no such thing as the best OS to chose because anyone can easily screw up anything.

Far as your mom getting malware, again nothing is safe. Xp is no safer than windows 7 from getting that stuff if the person isnt paying to attention to what they are doing or have good computer common sense. What will matter most in this case is having a good anti virus/malware program that monitors activity of things being written to the hard drive and will stop everything and ask for a action when something bad is trying to write itself to your hard drive.

The only advantage vista would have is it still gets holes plugged by MS, they discontinued support for XP last year. They will do updates for it still that are blanket updates for all their OS's but they dont specifically work on and update XP anymore.

If you have a key and disc for it then I would just use it and give them some basic instructions on what to be careful with and such.

The only way you can protect them 100% is by pulling out the network cable and not getting a pc online, never hooking a usb flash to a pc, installing anything that isnt a official retail copy of something and basically doing nothing on it. The best defense is a knowldgable pc user and even that isnt 100%.[/QUOTE]

So very true - I have virus protection installed and preach to them that if they get any strange pop-up messages to just unplug the computer immediately, and if anything else happens to just wait until I can look at it. I've had to reformat the beast a few times already, and if it's gonna get hosed again there isn't much more I can do to prevent it than I already have, except maybe install Ubuntu and tell dad that it's Windows 8:rofl:.

bread's done
Back