Which Mario sports game is your favorite?

Pure Apathy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
129 (100%)
Which one do you like the best?

g16484dpgmm.jpg
g20383laxr1.jpg

g22319amhny.jpg
g22661no5yx.jpg

I like baseball, even though the CPU base running is horrible.

In terms of multiplayer enjoyment, it's Strikers hands-down.

Overall, though, Golf is the best game, if that makes sense.

Depends on what you're looking to do with them, really.

I own all 4... fun at times, not so much at others. My personal preference is in this order:

1. Golf - sure it can be really frustrating at times, especially in the Bowser Badlands, but what would be the point if the game was too easy? The only bad part is the time you spend waiting to Golf when you're playing with 3 or 4 players. The good part is you can play it 4 players with just 1 controller. I've played 4 players with only 2 controllers before, when that was all my friend had. Anyway, I enjoy the variety the courses provoid, and definitely would go with this game's single player over the other 3.

2. Baseball - the game can be painfully difficult at times, but you can do it! Definitely a fun twist on regular baseball. There's a good number of players to choose from, but I thought there could be more teams... more captains at least. The other really crappy part is the multi-player. I believe you could only play the mini-games and the coin-field 4 player. Plus there was no co-op mode. That made little sense to me, and kind of soured me on the game as a whole, as I thought I'd be playing through it with friends.

3. Tennis - As you can probably tell by now, the number of characters in the game is a big plus to me, and this one certainly has a lot. Good variety in the courts and types of tennis you can play. Plus you can actually play co-op, heaven forbid. The only thing that keeps it from being put up higher, is my general lack of interest in tennis. I don't mean to be offensive with that, I'm just not a huge Tennis fan.

4. Soccer - This isn't really a bad game, and of all the games is probably the best for 4 player, since you can all be on the same team. What I didn't like though was how repetitious the game seemed after awhile. Lack of variety in characters was very disappointing too. I felt a lot of Mario characters were left out of this game, as I expected a roster at least a full as the other Mario sports. I'd almost say this game is better off rented than purchased due to the lack of replay value.

I'm surprised Mario hasn't tried to go Bowling, Snowboarding, Fishing or maybe even race some Horses!

They are all good, but I love Baseball the best and Strikers the least. I really thought that I would enjoy Strikers more...but it's just not fun for me.

Gotta go with Mario Golf. It's such a solidly designed game. I've been too afraid crack open my Mario Tennis to try that game though. Just bought Mario Strikers and Mario Baseball recently during the Buy 2 Get 1 free at EB's and I haven't played them yet.

I FINALLY got my own copy of Mario Power Tennis the other day. Previously I was living with someone who owned it, and we played it all the time. It's been a while since I've played but it's just as good as I remember it. Hands down my favorite of the bunch.

Coming in a close second is Strikers, which I own, and on the heels of that is Golf, which I don't own but do enjoy.

Lastly, Baseball. I never really enjoyed playing that.

Tennis > Strikers > Golf/Baseball

All are good though, and strikers is a close second for me if only because my cousins and friends love to play it so the competition is always there.

Definetly Golf

I would have voted for Baseball but the constant come from (way) behind 9th inning victories on behalf of the computer get REALLY old, controller-throwing style.

Tennis, Strikers, Baseball, and lastly Golf, in that order. However, I am desperately praying for a Mario Football or Hockey game. "Mario Touchdown," anyone?

Mario Superstar Baseball was my favorite Mario sports title/baseball game of the last generation. The only Mario-themed sports game I enjoy more is N64 Mario Golf.

Toadstool Tour and Power Tennis are both good games, but I didn't really care for Mario Strikers.

Tough call for me.

Strikers was good multiplayer, but not so much single player. There wasn't much replay out of it. And you were so limited with your team options. It was your captain and then clones of one of the four minor characters.

Tennis was good for all of the options available, but the single player gets tough and annoying quick. I hope there isn't much to unlock because I went through all of the cups with Mario already, and it was not enjoyable for the last few special ones. And I quickly noticed a pattern for those last few cups.

Golf, again, good for all of the options available (Camelot is definitely good at the Mario sports titles). I haven't invested too much time in this game yet, but I always thought of the GBC version as one of the best GBC games ever.

Baseball is one I haven't spent too much time with either. The single player that I've gotten through has been enjoyable. I remember playing a game with my sister, and I enjoyed it. Seemed pretty well-rounded from what I can remember.

I'll choose Golf. Seems like a safe bet.

Mario Tennis games are the greatest Tennis games out there. I guess it's those plumbers that make the difference.

[quote name='magiic']I love strikers. One thing I would love though is Mario Hocket... god that would rock.[/quote]i was wondering why they never released a hockey game, if it has mario AND hockey it would sell like hotcakes to canadians :)

Strikers multiplayer is just killer.

However, honestly, my favorite Mario sports game may still be Mario Tennis on N64 (not to be confused with Mario's Tennis on the Virtual Boy; note the posessive).

[quote name='yukine']Yeah, I'd love a Mario Hockey as well.[/QUOTE]
Five bucks says it's the next Mario sports game after Strikers Charged. Hell, the developer of Strikers, Next Level Games, is a Canadian studio anyways, so they'd be perfect for the job, as soon as they wrap Charged. ;)

[quote name='yukine']Yeah, I'd love a Mario Hockey as well.[/quote]honestly i'm not a hockey fan *puts up flame shield*, i have nothing against the game, just not my cup of tea

I could go for a Mario Hockey game. Using the Strikers' developer and a similar engine would definitely work. I remember seeing on their website that they made a few hockey games on other platforms back then. Sounds like a good match. And on the Wii the Wii Remote would be your hockey stick.

If 1080 never came out, I was hoping there would be a Yoshi Snowboarding game. But, instead of snowboards, the characters would ride a Koopa shell, a la Super Mario 64. When I was planning this out when I was like in elementary school, it just seemed like Yoshi would be a more fitting character to do an extreme sport than Mario.

[quote name='maigoyume']honestly i'm not a hockey fan *puts up flame shield*, i have nothing against the game, just not my cup of tea[/quote]

Well how about another Mario basketball game, but for a console? :D

Golf, hands down. It had the best options and modes (I wish it had mini golf like the N64 version though) and it felt like it required the most skill.

Baseball was fun, then the "Comeback AI" would make you want to fucking scream. A lot of it seemed felt like luck.

I've never liked the Tennis series. I haven't played this one, but if it is anything like the N64 version it is just constant repetition with the CPU being completely cheap on the thougher modes.

I haven't played Soccer, but I hear it is fun. If it is anything like Sega Soccer Slam, it will be really fun with good multiplayer, it would get old quick though.

I've played golf and baseball, and between the two of them, I guess it would go to baseball. Golf is alright, but there doesn't seem to be any substance to it at all (a big disappointment after the very good GB games). And baseball can be fun but, as others have noted, the comebacks occur far too often and make it very frustrating.
Strikers looks like fun, and I would love to see a Mario hockey game.

Hope I'm not beating a dead topic but I finally played all of the Mario Sports games and I'm kinda surprised by those results.

First of all, Mario Baseball sucks total ass. Fielding and base running are terrible and it seems so cheap. Mushroom cup was way too easy but starting at the Flower Cup, the game felt really cheap. Of every hit I get, 90% go straight to a catcher and it pisses me off when my base runners automatically start running even when it's obvious it'll be an out. The only time the game's fun is during multiplayer and even that has it's road blocks since it's not something you can pick up and play.

Mario ToadStool Golf was kinda fun single player but moved too slow. It became really boring very quickly. Multiplayer was ok but not my first choice.

Mario Tennis is ok but felt too hectic sometimes. But the multiplayer was great.

Mario Strikers is EXTREMELY fun. Easily the best GC game with Mario in the title. It's challenging but very easy to play so anybody can enjoy it. The only thing I don't like is how inconsistent the AI is... sometimes they'll attack you mercilessly while other times they won't even touch you.

Just wait for the Wii version, my friend. With online play, and other improvements here and there it might just be the best Mario sports game ever.

I spent way too much time with Hot Shots Golf 3 to really enjoy Mario Golf (although I really like the GBA version), and I've never played Baseball. Strikers is great, but not as great as Mario Tennis.

Golf is tops for me, followed by tennis.

I absolutely hated baseball, and haven't played strikers.

I only own Golf and Tennis. While I like Mario Tennis a lot (enough to justify the $35 I had to spend to get it), one thing about it irks me...

You can't turn off the power shots in single player.

Seriously, towards the end of the single player cups, it starts to become "volley with opponent, wait for them to use power shot, counter with yours to smash it past them" because that's the only way to win. The power shots are nice occasionally, but having them come up every point gets old really quickly, especially because of how strong most of them are.

Here's hoping that they're not nearly as ingrained in the game when the series makes its next appearance...

Gothic- I totally agree. When playing the tournaments, the main goal of every point was to win before the opponent could "charge up" their racket. I got surprisingly good at this too hehe.

I would slog through the tournaments in order to unlock the characters, and then go play exhibition where you could turn that stuff off. Mario Tennis was a great game though in exhibition mode though! Pretty engaging tennis when playing the CPU on the higher difficulties and star mode with no power-up shots.

BTW: Mario Kart (auto racing) isn't a sport? :)

Ruahrc

bread's done
Back