Which MiniDV camcoder to get?

abcme

CAGiversary!
ya... I dunno what to get, and what features are good or bad.

So plz gimme some suggestions.

I dunno if it's worth it paying for a $400+ one, when there's other's for like $300-.

Cuz I don't want the $300- dying one me after a year or two.

The ZR series is great, and come Friday I might be selling mine (there is a contest to win a camcorder and all the other entires suck while mine is only medoicre sooo.), I would sell my old one and keep the new one.

[quote name='abcme']ic.. also, what's the difference between refurbished and non-refurbished?[/QUOTE]
Refurbished is a factroy fixed camcorder that became broken very early. Non-refurb would be brand new.

[quote name='tornadomann']Refurbished is a factroy fixed camcorder that became broken very early. Non-refurb would be brand new.[/QUOTE]

o phew, I was wondering why it's cheaper.

also, which zr would I get?

I'm looking at a site and there's like zr-100 that's cheaper than like a zr-85 or something.

and also, for features, mini-dv is pretty much a must have right? in general

I've got a JVC GRD-33, which won multiple magazines 'Camcorder of the Year' in the sub-300 range. It's been great for us. This is last year's model, I think this years model actually removed some features.
Go to http://www.camcorderinfo.com/ for some very indepth comparison and reviews. CNet has some as well.

Features--depends on what you're looking for. Most of the sub-400 ones don't have external mic jacks, may or may not be a big deal to you. Low light performance is also a concern; that's one thing the GRD33 does quite well for its price range. Battery life is another; ability to receive input [like hook up my VCR output to the camcorder, to record onto mini-DVD, then output to a DVD via the computer] is a popular feature, if you have a lot of VHS to transfer.

I think mini-DV is the way to go; the mini-dvd's aren't as widely compatible or flexible, and I don't think you can edit them. The other tape, Super 8 i think, is phasing out in popularity.

o also, the uploading.

when uploading to computer, what's easiest?

my friends use firewire, but from reading reviews, lots of cameras don't come with it, and the comp also need an addon firewire socket?

Panasonic PV-GS31
vs
JVC GR-D33US

which?
I like how the JVC got good reviews concerning it's low light recording support, but can anybody tell me about the uploading features in "noob" language so I understand? Like one of the reviews said that the GR-D33US lacks usb support?

The GRD33 US is pretty much firewire only, afaik. At least, it doesn't do USB. That may or may not be an issue for you--for us, the features and pricing of the 33, made it not a big deal to spend 30 or so bucks extra for a firewire card for the PC, which came with a cable and some basic digital editing software. My new computer, I ordered it with a firewire card installed. I can't find the one we bought for our other computer, it was from Circuit City, I think it was 30-40 bucks, came with one or two firewire ports, some dv software, and a six foot firewire cable.
I have heard, though I have no direct experience with this, that even USB 2.0 is not nearly as fast to transfer data as the Firewire.
The GRDus33 has firewire output. If your computer doesn't have a firewire card, you will need to buy one. Once you do that, just plug the camera into the ac adapter [so it's not running off the battery--the pack-in is both a power cord and a charger, so that's nice], plug the other end into the firewire cable, then into the computer, and hit 'Capture video' on the computer. It also has RCA [red yellow white] jacks so you can plug it into a TV for instant viewing, or pipe it to a VCR to record.
I know nothing about the Panny, I'm just sharing my own experience with the JVC.

[quote name='javeryh']I got the Sony one for $1,000 with the 3.5 inch LCD screen. It's awesome. I highly recommend it.[/QUOTE]

Am I at the right site?

*Looks at site title, "Cheap Ass Gamer"*

=P

$1000 camera too expensive for me =(

bread's done
Back