Which NES Baseball Game?

ViolentLee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
81 (100%)
I remember playing a baseball game on NES where it was possible to have your outfielders run into and over the stands. I'm not talking flying like in Dusty Diamond, but actually run through the stands as if it were field.
I thought it was Major League Baseball, but from a YouTube clip it doesn't seem possible there.
Any ideas?

[quote name='ViolentLee']I remember playing a baseball game on NES where it was possible to have your outfielders run into and over the stands. I'm not talking flying like in Dusty Diamond, but actually run through the stands as if it were field.
I thought it was Major League Baseball, but from a YouTube clip it doesn't seem possible there.
Any ideas?[/QUOTE]

Iirc, Major League Baseball had a bug that if you ran to the wall and pressed left then right continuously, you could eventually get through the wall to the stands. It might have been Baseball Stars.

There was no power up in Baseball Simulator to run though the wall. That was an awesome game by the way.

b3b0p, you're probably right. As I said, Major League was my first instinct.

And which NES baseball game had the bad-assest music? RBI, methinks. Was just listening to the NSF file at work the other day. Great stuff!

[quote name='b3b0p']Iirc, Major League Baseball had a bug that if you ran to the wall and pressed left then right continuously, you could eventually get through the wall to the stands. It might have been Baseball Stars.

There was no power up in Baseball Simulator to run though the wall. That was an awesome game by the way.[/QUOTE]

It was Major League Baseball. Another bug would be if you were really beating the computer soundly, it would eventually run out of pitchers yet would continue trying to replace the pitcher.

[quote name='joemoedee']It was Major League Baseball. Another bug would be if you were really beating the computer soundly, it would eventually run out of pitchers yet would continue trying to replace the pitcher.[/QUOTE] Yet another bug. You could get the ball stuck in the CF wall for an automatic inside the parker.

[quote name='ViolentLee']And which NES baseball game had the bad-assest music? RBI, methinks. Was just listening to the NSF file at work the other day. Great stuff![/QUOTE]

Personally I dug Baseball Stars 2 for the NES.

As for the 8 & 16-bit eras as a whole, Super Baseball 2020 is most definitely the answer

[quote name='Josef']Well, slightly ahead of LJN's NES NFL Football.
[/QUOTE]

I used to like that game, we would create leagues with everyone in the neighborhood. We even had our own trophy.

Of course, then 2 years later we shit our pants with Tecmo Bowl.

[quote name='Josef']LJN's NES Major League Baseball was possibly one of the worst video games ever made. Well, slightly ahead of LJN's NES NFL Football.
[/QUOTE]

I actually loved that game. I remember reading the nintendo power (or gamepro or EGM) baseball faceoff between MLB, RBI, and bases loaded at the time. Ended up going with MLB I think because it had all the teams and current player's #s with realistic stats and abilities. (I was a fan of the A's and Canseco/McGwire at the time). Definitely had some issues, but great 2 player game.

I gotta say, my favorite NES baseball game was Base Wars. It's probably my favorite "futuristic" sports game, too. It did just enough to make the sport interesting, but didn't mess with the formula too much.

[quote name='ViolentLee']I gotta say, my favorite NES baseball game was Base Wars. It's probably my favorite "futuristic" sports game, too. It did just enough to make the sport interesting, but didn't mess with the formula too much.[/QUOTE]

I remember cracking a controller over my friend's head playing that game. Asshole killed my best character in a close game.

The controller never played the same way or felt comfortable after that. The bottom left corner was pretty fucked up

I remember picking up Basewars on a clearance table at Good Guys for ~$6, and that was years after they stopped selling NES games (probably already N64 era). I was kind of surprised to see it there, but always thought it seemed like a cool game. Anyway, just felt like sharing... Strangely enough, I can probably remember the details of every good deal I found.

[quote name='ViolentLee']But how was your friend's head?[/QUOTE]

Not only did it knock his ass loopy, it left a pretty nasty gash. Those NES controllers were sturdy as hell.

He got me back though as a few years later though as he snapped a SNES controller in half over my head as we played SFII Turbo. I cheesed him like a sum' bitch. After 15 years, you can still see the scar whenever I shave my head

BaseWars is absolutely badass. "YEAH!!"

Is Super Baseball 2020 on a SNK compilation for any system from the current gen or last gen? It looks pretty fun.

[quote name='neschamp']Is Super Baseball 2020 on a SNK compilation for any system from the current gen or last gen? It looks pretty fun.[/QUOTE]

sadly it is not. You could go the MAME route though, the original Neo Geo is the best version of it

[quote name='neschamp']BaseWars is absolutely badass. "YEAH!!"

Is Super Baseball 2020 on a SNK compilation for any system from the current gen or last gen? It looks pretty fun.[/QUOTE]
Nope.
I do remember renting that for SNES a few times. It wasn't too bad on 16-bit, even if it pales in comparison to the POWER of 24 bits of graphical FURY!

[quote name='ViolentLee']Nope.
I do remember renting that for SNES a few times. It wasn't too bad on 16-bit, even if it pales in comparison to the POWER of 24 bits of graphical FURY![/QUOTE]

I used to love renting the Neo Geo from Power House, only $25 for a week and a free game with a $250 deposit. Still wish I had the money when they closed up shop, he was only going to charge me $150 for the system and two controllers.

I remember my uncles used to play just regular "baseball" on the NES. My favorite was R.B.I Baseball. I never even knew Baseball Stars was out on the NES. I loved the arcade version though. I used to play it on one of those 4 in 1 Neo cabs at the movie theater outside Ford City mall in Chicago. Also Magician Lord ftw.

[quote name='scottman']I actually loved that game. I remember reading the nintendo power (or gamepro or EGM) baseball faceoff between MLB, RBI, and bases loaded at the time. Ended up going with MLB I think because it had all the teams and current player's #s with realistic stats and abilities. (I was a fan of the A's and Canseco/McGwire at the time). Definitely had some issues, but great 2 player game.[/QUOTE]

I think it was the only officially licensed baseball game at the time (RBI had real players only I believe, Bases Loaded was totally made up). Of the three you listed, I played all and would have to say RBI Baseball was my favorite. Doesn't even come close to Baseball Stars though.

I remember RBI coin-op had classic teams. Pick the Yankee's, and you had a veritable who's-who of baseball history. At least, until the timer ran out and you had to put in another quarter...

[quote name='ViolentLee']I remember RBI coin-op had classic teams. Pick the Yankee's, and you had a veritable who's-who of baseball history. At least, until the timer ran out and you had to put in another quarter...[/QUOTE]

was that the one with the bat controller on the cabinet where you had to pull it back and let it go to hit the ball?

bread's done
Back