Which of these HDTVs should I get for Gaming?

Jimbo1

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
What are you hooking up to it? (Xbox, PS3?) I personally wouldn't do a 720p TV because of my PS3. As far as out of those two I would say stick with the Panasonic, everywhere i hear Panasonic is best for plasma.

You can probably find a better Panasonic Plasma, the PX series is definitely older, the PZ and newer stuff is phenomenal. I'd keep hunting around as Plasma will give you the most bang for your buck since comparing plasma to LCD fairly requires a very high end LCD set.

[quote name='Guidrage']What are you hooking up to it? (Xbox, PS3?) I personally wouldn't do a 720p TV because of my PS3. As far as out of those two I would say stick with the Panasonic, everywhere i hear Panasonic is best for plasma.[/QUOTE]

Almost every single PS3 game is only 720p. And he did specify for gaming, so blu-rays don't really count in this area.

Plasma if you have only a PS3, LCD if you the 360 (or both.) 720p is more noticable in the larger sizes. But since the PS3 plays at 720p most of the time, you wouldn't have much a problem telling the difference.

Also, when you say no lagging, it's impossible for an HDTV not to lag. It can have less of a latency, but there's always going to be one. You get used to it.

[quote name='Interfeci']Almost every single PS3 game is only 720p.[/QUOTE]

You act like this isn't the case for the 360 as well. You don't actually think most games are in native 1080P on the 360 right?

OP go with an LCD

[quote name='ssjmichael']You act like this isn't the case for the 360 as well. You don't actually think most games are in native 1080P on the 360 right?

OP go with an LCD[/QUOTE]

Actually, I didn't say that. I was referring to the previous poster stating not to go with 720p solely due to the PS3. I was mostly going with the lies the back of the boxes that say most 360 games run 1080p natively. I don't game on it much, so I don't really keep track of how they're actually just referring to upscaling. I now see they have squat. Thank you for letting me know. I have now read up on this and realise the error of my ways.

The Vizio 42". Not only is it a higher resolution but Xbox & PS3 are not designed to be put on TV's that are insanely big, 42" is the highest that I would go without noticing a drop in the quality.

Assuming that's the most you're willing to spend, I came up with this display. It's a 1080p Panasonic Plasma.
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TC-...ref=sr_1_1?s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1286699732&sr=1-1

Some reference settings should you decide to go with either the S2 or G25.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=18252425#post18252425

I'd act fast since it's well below the SRP. Shipped and sold by Amazon.
If you're serious about input lag (mainly for fighting games) then I'd suggest looking into an IPS-Pro panel display. Last year's Panny's TC-L(xx)X1 model was highly praised over on the AVS forums after a number of input lag tests had shown there was virtually no input lag on that 720 LCD.

Also if you're willing to spend a little more then I'd go for the G25 display. Just be sure you select Amazon as the seller. Their customer service is right up there with Crutchfield as far as electronics go.
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIE...4UBG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1286699952&sr=8-3

[quote name='Jeff Stephen']Assuming that's the most you're willing to spend, I came up with this display. It's a 1080p Panasonic Plasma.
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TC-...ref=sr_1_1?s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1286699732&sr=1-1

Some reference settings should you decide to go with either the S2 or G25.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=18252425#post18252425

I'd act fast since it's well below the SRP. Shipped and sold by Amazon.
If you're serious about input lag (mainly for fighting games) then I'd suggest looking into an IPS-Pro panel display. Last year's Panny's TC-L(xx)X1 model was highly praised over on the AVS forums after a number of input lag tests had shown there was virtually no input lag on that 720 LCD.

Also if you're willing to spend a little more then I'd go for the G25 display. Just be sure you select Amazon as the seller. Their customer service is right up there with Crutchfield as far as electronics go.
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIE...4UBG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1286699952&sr=8-3[/QUOTE]
Awesome price on that TV and well worth it, rather than the original two choices.

1080p doesn't matter under 50" and is arguably visible at 50". go for the Panasonic 50" you will not be disappointed as plasma is far superior to lcd

[quote name='moop2001']1080p doesn't matter under 50" and is arguably visible at 50". go for the Panasonic 50" you will not be disappointed as plasma is far superior to lcd[/QUOTE]
I can see the difference between 720p and 1080p on my 42" screen, so I wouldn't buy into that. 720 be more noticeable on a 50" screen. If you have a crappy tv, you won't notice the difference. Plasma is a different beast than base 120hz LCDs.

what do you guys think of the led-lcd tv's? i am in the market for a new tv 46 to 50". and it's between led and plasma. right now i have an old 32" lcd polaroid, only goes up to 720p and i want the ability for 1080p.

im always amazed by how much people think the resolution of a display matters.
The viewing distance has more to do with the discernable resolution than screen size.

what you should be comparing is the picture quality not the resolution.

OP, at this point, I wouldn't get a 720p set unless you're going for something small, such as 26" or smaller. 1080p should be the type of set you're looking for without question.

How far away will you be sitting from this TV?

[quote name='ctrek3']what do you guys think of the led-lcd tv's? i am in the market for a new tv 46 to 50". and it's between led and plasma. right now i have an old 32" lcd polaroid, only goes up to 720p and i want the ability for 1080p.[/QUOTE]

LED backlighting is a technology still in its infancy for larger TV sets. Edge lit LED backlighting can have flashlighting and clouding issues, full backlight gets rid of most of those issues though brings up issues of their own. I'd agree on 1080p being where you'd aim for with a TV replacement, though you really, really need to read some reviews of edge lit LED sets, especially for gaming, before making a purchase. I have a LG 55LE8500 and love it, phenomenal color quality, brightness and deep inky blacks.

[quote name='Phelmo']The Vizio 42". Not only is it a higher resolution but Xbox & PS3 are not designed to be put on TV's that are insanely big, 42" is the highest that I would go without noticing a drop in the quality.[/QUOTE]:rofl:Wow, just when I thought I've heard everything foolish about TVs, this little gem shows up.

Could you please explain why you think this completely deluded thought? I've gamed on a 37" set, a 52" set and a 55" set and have never had any issues with "a drop in the quality" that you're referring to.

[quote name='shrike4242']
:rofl:Wow, just when I thought I've heard everything foolish about TVs, this little gem shows up.

Could you please explain why you think this completely deluded thought? I've gamed on a 37" set, a 52" set and a 55" set and have never had any issues with "a drop in the quality" that you're referring to.[/QUOTE]

come on , are you serious? obviously this gem was mined from lengthy research and testing.

In defense you could apply the drop in quality reference to the screen door effect, but im doubtful thats the case.

To the OP, Its about budget and what you want. You cant have a great, big display for $500. Were at a point where its getting more difficult to find good 720p displays for a reasonable price. last year you could get older models that had picture quality better or equal to a similar priced 1080p model.

Edit - I suggest setting your budget and reading reviews, look for consumer feedback on avsforum.com, dont get caught up in comparing minute differences youll never notice while using the display in your home, and completely disregard manufacturer specs. Note model specific problems and then view a short list of displays in person if you can.

bread's done
Back