Which overpriced store will go under next?

[quote name='Roufuss']You know what I love about FYE, is when a new DVD comes out they put it on "sale" for the low low price of the MSRP at ANY OTHER STORE.

Let's say Mission Impossible III, other stores charge $19.99 normally, they put it on sale for $13.99. FYE charges $25.99 normally, and puts it on "sale" for $19.99.

I'm not sure how the hell they stay in business... I've gone in there a ton and never once bought anything.[/QUOTE]

Actually most DVDs MSRP is around $25-30ish. However places like BBY, CC, and Wallyworld for instance get them for far less than the MSRP since they are buying them in bulk which is why their normal price is at around, say, $19.99.

You are right about FYE tho. Reminds me of Suncoast and how they would put a new release on "sale" for what many places normal marked price is at. Hell I remember when Suncoast tried to tack on mail in rebates on new released that would lower the price down to, say, $16.99. We saw how successful that idea was.... especially when those same said releases would be at BBY, CC, and Wallyworld for $15 and under with NO rebates.

... then again, this is the same Suncoast that not too long ago was charging $30 for the bare bones VHS release for "The Emperors New Groove" when one could get the 2 disc DVD Special Edition for the same price elsewhere. :roll:

Well hopefully FYE or Comp USA, and maybe Radio Shack.

But as stated before, Radio Shack does come in handy when it comes to hard to find items. I refer people there on occasion when we don't have the item.

FYE is garbage and always will be. Useful for extremely high trade in places and getting obscure DVDS, but they are always over priced.

Comp USA blows most of the time, and you can get better deals elsewhere. Occasionaly they have some good deals, but you have go through REBATE HELL!

[quote name='ITDEFX']You know I never got a chance to go to Incredible Universe when it came to this area... it was here and gone in a short time. Anyways yea FYE needs to go. Overpriced shit with stupid MIR.[/QUOTE]

My parents took me when we were on a vacation in another state, an entire "island" of nothing but Sega: Genesis, Saturn, Sega CD, Gamegear, everything

There was a separate Nintendo aisle but I could have cared less, they had Sega Rally with pedals and wheel on a projection, Virtua Cop with two guns and surround sound on a huge TUBE, an entire chain of Genesis with titles for play....they had HUGE stock, dozens of copies of Landstalker and Shining Force 2, import games and the converters to play them...and tons of neon lights, with girls on roller skates and short skirts, and astronauts flying up above, and rows and rows and rows of games as far as they eye can see...

Then again, I didn't even have a period, and I was 4'10..I probably remember it bigger than it really was .

Hell, I don't WANT to see any of them go out of business. Fewer stores means fewer choices and more of a chance of everyone else to jack up prices.

And yeah, stores like FYE/Sam Goody get A LOT of their business from us rural areas. The only music store within an hour of me is a Sam Goody. I buy a lot of my music when I'm heading towards a bigger area anyways, but sometimes I want a CD and nothing else. It's easier to just drive 20 minutes to Sam Goody, pay an extra 3-5 dollars for a CD than to drive an hour to save the few bucks.

And I'd hate for FYE up in the malls to go out of business too. Sure, they're overpriced, but I like having 4 music stores within 3 minutes of each other to look for CDs in.

And the Sam Goody near me, and then the FYE up in the mall seem to have a steady stream of business.

Never been to a CompUSA, and I really can't think of any other overpriced place that would go under anytime soon. So I'll say CompUSA since it seems to be the popular answer.

Another poster brought up FYE and the used game market. I wonder how long it will be till a lawsuit crops up against fye for selling used games as new akin to the ebgames/gamestop lawsuit for doing the same. This could contribute to their downfall. Also, we saw what happened with media play and the used game market, i believe the used game market and the way media play handled it just brought them down because they would charge like 30$ for a used ps1 game that was going for less than 1$ on ebay. Unfortunatly since FYE is opening more stores here i do not think they will go down anytime soon.

I hope radio shack goes down soon, all they sell are cellphones and radio controlled cars now, they used to have helpful employees but have gone to moronic ones equal to the knowledge of a walmart cashier. Radio shack used to be the store for selling components and various things for electronic repair, and tools, however they have moved more the way of every other retail store and like i said all they push now is cell phone sales. This is a real shame especially for the people that need an electronic component on the fly and dont have time to order online, because there really isnt any other retailer that you can get them at now. Its basically a useless store nowdays though, unless you want to be pushed into a cell phone sale.

KMART, i hope all kmarts get taken over by sears eventually, yes i know that kmart has provided an amazing clearance game sale this year however their store is by far the worst run in our area. It takes 20 min at the register just to get a price adjustment, and a price adjustment needs to done for every other customer pretty much because their system is never updated. I have heard of other kmart stores that are much better run though, so ours is probably the bottom of the barrel.

Compusa is an ok store, and i dont see any reason for it to go down, they do occasionally have good deals so they are ok, its poorly run but its ok and i dont have a major problem with it, i have also scored some VERY good deals from clearances on their website, they also have a lot of free shipping deals.

I would have to say out of all of these i would want FYE and radio shack to go down the most, fye is completely overpriced and radio shack is just useless nowdays.

Also, due to high taxes in NY state and the google checkout deals, i have taken 90% of my retail store shopping online, i hardly ever buy things in retail stores anymore simply because 90% of the time i can find what i want cheaper online than in a retail store (even including shipping), also because stores here dont carry the things i am looking for. I still like going to retail stores to browse and stuff but i definitly do not buy as much in b&m stores as i used to.

Games are the main draw for my online shopping (of course!) since it means i do not have to fight the soccer mom crowd of screeching 3 year olds whining for a ps3 and gameboy (also the soccer moms that like to cause a scene because "that game costs too much"), and wait in a 60 min line and look for an employee to open the case just to get a game out for me to buy it.

The FYE here do not sell used game as new. They are selling the copy of new bowling i traded in as a used game.

[quote name='chosen1s']FYE

And you should add a poll now that you have 3 pages of material.[/QUOTE]

OK so you want

FYE
CompUSA
Radioshack?

That sounds good.

The problem with FYE is its hard to tell the used games from the new, and since they mix them in together its very hard to differentiate between the 2.

1991ta IS A CODE THAT CAN BE USED TO GET:

1 FREE MOVIES ONLINE
2 FREE MOVIES IN STORE
3 FREE GAMES
4 FREE SHIPPING

--- ALL FREE FOR A MONTH ---

IF YOU LIKE NETFLIX, YOU'LL LOVE THIS. CHEAPER & FASTER TURNAROUND ON MOVIES

JUST GO TO BLOCKBUSTER.COM
CLICK ON FREE TRIAL
AND ENTER THE CODE AND INFORMATION

LET ME KNOW IF THIS DOESN'T WORK AND I HAVE SOME OTHER CODES

EMAIL [email protected]

Some How Circuit CIty Survies and i still work there and like the fact that there in the rebound.. This means we will continue to be stronger since those Compusa's are gone from the area...

[quote name='Roufuss']I'm honestly surprised they are still in business now that BB / CC got huge. CompUSA offers nothing you can't get at those two stores and it'll probably be cheaper to boot.[/QUOTE]
Thats how it was always at my CompUSA. They couldnt attract the customers away from BB and CC and my CompUSA closed down like 5 years ago. Thats why I miss some the deals I see on here from them. Oh well.........

Compusa has some pretty decent deals on their website, I STILL use the 20$ MP3 player that I got off there last year (and from what I see in MP3 player pricing it would still be difficult to get a 256mb MP3 player for 20$ shipped, and yes that is what I paid), I am surprised it has lasted this long! If you watch carefully you can score some deals off their website! A couple years ago I also got a nice digital camera off their website for a nice price too.

I don't usually visit the retail stores for Compusa and Circuit city, I think have actually been in the compusa store once or twice. Circuit city is also closing something like 69 stores in canada, so those that said CC are also partly correct!

[quote name='SaraAB']Circuit city is also closing something like 69 stores in canada, so those that said CC are also partly correct![/QUOTE]

69 stores that are a dead weight to the company. And CC is still opening new stores too. Unlike CompUSA where... well... when was the last time a new CompUSA opened at all?

bread's done
Back