Which PS1 games still hold up?

Off the top of my head, I came up with:

Silhouette Mirage
Internal Section
Dance Dance Revolution 3rd Mix
Bust A Groove
Nanotek Warrior

[quote name='diaeresis']Hm. I'll skip the big ones like SotN and Crash Team Racing.

Top Shop
R/C Stunt Copter
Silhouette Mirage (I don't think I ever figured this one out, though.)
Tomba 2
Wipeout XL

There are some others that I suspect would hold up well, but didn't play enough to be sure about, like Heart of Darkness, Carnage Heart, Bushido Blade, Einhander, Thunderforce V, and Samurai Zan.

Lastly, Tail of the Sun is /every bit as good/ as it ever was.[/QUOTE]

I like your taste in games. I agonized over putting Top Shop on my list. I love that game. My wife and I just played it again about a year ago.

Whoever said Tomba is right on.

Tomba!
Castlevania: SOTN
Mega Man Legends 2 (it looks a little rough, but the gameplay and story are awesome)
Breath of Fire III
Saga Frontier II (absolutely beautiful watercolor graphics and a soundtrack that rivals Chrono Cross)

[quote name='Gameboy415']Um, those are all PS2 games.... :lol:

My list:

-Tomba!
-Tomba 2: The Evil Swine Return
-Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
-Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
-Chrono Cross (I would've picked Legend of Mana, but I enjoyed CC a bit more)[/QUOTE]

I would definitely have to say those are the 5 I would have say hold up the best today too. The Tomba and Klonoa games are not to be missed and are some of the most unique platformers I've ever seen. SoTN really is the best in that whole series and the ones after it haven't really come close to it. I liked how they did that throwback to the final stage of Bloodlines at the beginning and really wish they'd do something like that again. Also, with that game I am probably in the minority who liked the ending vocal "I Am The Wind", the jazz piece. I was greatly disappointed they removed it from Dracula X Chronicles :( Chrono Cross is excellent and I enjoyed it more than Chrono Trigger. I feel with that game they realized more of the concepts, ideas, and storyline they had envisioned for it.

To be fair, there were a LOT of niche lesser known RPGs for the PS1 so I won't list those as per the OP's request but they are almost all worth checking out if you can find them and several of them hold up well today.

It's impossible for me to only pick 5 so I'm only going to list obscure games I haven't seen listed too much yet.

Bushido Blade
In the Hunt
Herc's Adventures
Elemental Gearbolt
Heart of Darkness

I also want to mention Gunner's Heaven (Rapid Reload) but it only came out in Euro & Japan.

I'm glad others still think Bushido Blade is great. My list (nothing new)...

SoTN
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Bushido Blade
Resident Evil 2
FF VII (sorry - I still love this game)

Lets see here.... 5 games, only 1 RPG.

Final Fantasy 9
Metal Gear Solid
Gran Turismo
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
Monster Rancher 2 (RPG....?)

Some honorable mentions:
Vangrant Story (it's a flip between this and FF9)
Parasite Eve
Namco Museum Vol 5
Front Mission 3
Star Ocean 2
Jet Moto

bread's done
Back