Which PSP would you recommend?

bjkrautk

CAGiversary!
I've known for months now that I am going to buy a PSP (Valkyria Chronicles II = system seller). With e3 in the rear-view mirror, and no new handheld announcement from our friends at Sony, I'm looking for a good sale to jump on.

(In truth, I'd love to wait for TGS later this year, to find out if Sony announces the PSP2 on their home turf...but I'd hate to pass up a great deal now if it means that I might be willing to buy a different device a year or more from now.)

My UMD collection is a grand total of 1 (Bought FF: Dissidia on clearance at Target this weekend for $7.50), so I'm certainly open to the PSP Go. I don't really buy or sell used games more than 1-2x / year, so that's not really a factor. I'm admittedly leaning towards the PSP 3000 for two reasons:
1) digital downloads will never be sold at clearance prices, and
2) My understanding is that there are UMD-only titles that aren't available digitally (Square Enix titles in particular).

Additionaly, I already have an iPod Touch that I use regularly, so I'm not looking for an audio/video playback device. I'd be using this for gaming first and foremost.

If you were in my position, which version of the PSP would you be looking into?
- PSP Go
- PSP 3000 (no bundle)
- PSP AC: Bloodlines pack
- PSP Peace Walker pack (green -or- camo / "Big Boss")
- PSP Rachet & Clank pack (if it's still in stores)
- Wait for the God of War (red PSP) bundle later this year

Also, how large a memory stick should I be looking for (and how much would that cost)? Is the onboard memory on the PSP Go large enough to carry a few games on the device, and hold save data?

id go with a 2000 (probably could only get it used) or 3000. i prefer having physical media for one thing. i really didnt like the form factor of the go. my co worker has one and i just couldnt do it. i prefer my 2000 over it.

I'd buy a bundle pack if you are interested in the pack-in game. The 3000 is superior to the go, you can buy the DD games if they come on sale, AND you can also buy the physical media.

If you want Peace Walker (which is an awesome game) go for the bundle pack. If not, pick up an old PSP-1000, the screen isn't dodgy like the 3000 (has bad can lines) and it can do everything the other systems can, it's just a bit fatter.

As for memory stick, it depends if your going to be downloading games or not (by which I mean legal games from the store). If you want to carry a few games with you'll need at least 4gb as some can be rather large. Don't buy memory sticks from eBay, they tend to be fake and there only about £10 from Amazon anyways.

Don't go with a 1000. I think most of the people who hate PSPs have only had experiences with a 1000.

The screen has ghosting and the colors are washed out, the d-pad is awful, the [] button is squishy, it's heavy and causes horrible cramps (at least it did for me).

The 2000 has the ghosting and washed out colors, but fixes the other problems. The 3000 does have the lines though, which are noticeable to me, but much better than the ghosting.

Anyway, the size of your memory stick really depends on if you plan on buying any downloadable games. 1 or 2 gigs would be plenty just for save games. But then again, some games offer installs, so 4 gig is probably the smallest you should consider. On the other hand, 16 gigs (is what the PSPGo comes with internally) is probably a bit of an overkill. I bought a 3000 last year with a 16 gig stick and I've only used 6 gigs of it so far. And I have 8 full games, 12 Minis, 1 PS1 game plus 2 UMD game installs (Gran Turismo and Mana Khemia)

Last edited by a moderator:
The PSP 1000 isn't really that bad... You've hurt it's feelings...

The only bad ghosting I had with it was when black things moved in LocoRoco.

The screen issue on the 3000s is overstated. Go with a 3000 because it offers flexibility between the UMD and digital downloads and has the speakers above the thumbs and internal mic.

I love my PSP1000. Got it a few weeks after launch and it is still going strong and I play it all the time. I mainly use it for emulators though. I'm playing through Link's Awakening for the billionth time right now. It's soooo gooood....

[quote name='QiG']The screen issue on the 3000s is overstated. Go with a 3000 because it offers flexibility between the UMD and digital downloads [/QUOTE]

So do the other versions. And the screen is noticeable with sprite based games.

bread's done
Back